Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Baroque Interior - 5 Week Student Work

Stavaas
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
Hi everyone. Thought I would show what I've been working on for a bit over 4 weeks now for class. I really hate showing my stuff online, because I don't feel like I'm good enough really, but the only way to get better is by getting feedback, so here goes!

This environment is influenced a lot by Resident Evil 1, Gears of War, and some other environments I've seen here on Polycount. I wanted to make something that looked abandoned, and give a feel of having been so for a long time. I really like giving my work some sort of story, and this time I've added 3 newspaper articles telling of the fate of a young couple, who owned the house, leading to it being abandoned. About 95% of all textures is made by me in the Substance packages.

I still have a few more days to work on this. Deadline is this Friday at 4PM, so any feedback is greatly apreciated!

EDIT: The ceiling in the bathroom, and roof above have collapsed, and that's what's letting all the light into the bathroom by the way!

Replies

• Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    I think you've definitely captured the structural damage that comes with long abandoned buildings. I think some of your textures though look too clean, more dirt and grime and mold would be great. Also your room with the red curtains in particular isn't showing off your hard work very well; the curtains are super saturated and pull all the focus away from the piles of books and interesting objects in the room.
  • Stavaas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    Hey Tectonic, thanks for your reply! I totally agree with you regarding the red curtains, they do steal a lot of focus, so I'll fix that ASAP! Which textures do you think look too clean though? Thanks!
  • PatsuKiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatsuKiki polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Stavass

Some really strong work going on here and I like what I see but if I could critique anything it would be that some things look a little out of place.

1. I would say the lamp shades need some work, they are super clean whereas the rest of the scene is decrepid and decaying. In substance try adding some dust layers to your lamps to age them in line with your scene. Also, I don't think the turquoise colour of them helps them to pop against the wallpaper background. Maybe consider colouring them with a more contrasting colour in relation to the green wall paper, such as reds and oranges.

2. Again, the gold photo frames look like they've literally been polished and hung up, maybe add some aging to them. This shouldn't take too long to do before handin (I understand the pain, I'm a 2nd year games art student at Hertfordshire :smile: )

Good work though mate