Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Romat FAL

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
The Lone Penguin polycounter lvl 9
With this project I wanted to create my own library of materials built in Substance Designer that could be used in varying situations inside Substance Painter without relying on an existing materials. Also to bring over some common textures I frequently use in Photoshop into the Substance workflow. While there's certainly a time investment of creating this library of various materials at the start, the payoff of having a reusable, customizable library from asset to asset is pretty great. 

ArtStation

Baked Low Poly

Wireframe

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Really nice work. The wood in particular looks great; the dirtiness and damage isn't too overdone. The same is true for the metals, their colouring is quite subdued as well which I like. What's with the colours on the grip though? They seem a bit strong in the mviewer. And now that I think about it, does it make sense for the wood grain to be present in the gloss? I've really no idea if a change in the grain would have a significant change in microsurface smoothness, but my suspicion is it would not.

I'm also curious about your use of Substance Designer — how much control do you get with it over just using Substance Painter, which itself has various procedurals/generators/filters? I suspect I'll just have to get SD to answer that, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on how designer can compliment painter all the same.
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    Looks amazing, reminds of me the guns from Far Cry 4. Exact same level of quality you could throw this gun in the game and it would fit right in
    Great job
  • The Lone Penguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

Bek, The grip is a result of compression in the Marmoset Viewer. As for the grain, typically no you're correct. But depending on the aggression of the wear it may make itself subtly present. I may in fact have been a bit too intense on the values.

Designer can give you as much control as you allow it to. All depends on how you setup your materials. The wood for example I had it setup so I can control pretty much every aspect inside painter from the intensity of the grain to the color and variation of the wood. It can be a bit of a time investment up front but it gives you a great reusable material with adjustable parameters from project to project. I'm only just getting my feet wet in Designer but I've been pretty happy with the process so far.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    lookin hawt buddy
  • ComradeDispenser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ComradeDispenser polycounter lvl 3
    Wow! Textures done fully in Substance Designer?
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    beautiful stuff B)
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    The wood on that gun is just fantastic, great stuff
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    Looking great man! Your materials are beautiful!
  • The Lone Penguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

@Comradedispenser The materials were done all done in designer then brought into painter so there was plenty of both programs involved.