Home Unreal Engine

UE4 - Bump offset in a layered terrain material, possible?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Limewax polycounter lvl 6

I have everything set up appropriately and I had a functioning material (displays properly) before I tried to add the bump offset functionality. When I hook in the bump offset node, to something like my rocky layer, the shader no longer compiles.

I'm pretty certain other people have had bump offset functioning in their terrain material. Can anyone else confirm or help out on this?

Replies

• Limewax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Limewax polycounter lvl 6
    Actually, already resolved this even though I just posted it (can't find the thread delete function on the new layout, but maybe this info will help someone else some day)

I recreated the material from scratch using no layers, just a solid input-output of the input maps, and this time an error popped up "Arithmetic between types float2 and float are undefined" ... Effectively, this means I was using the default RGB output when instead I needed to use a B/W output from the heightmap for my offset. Switching over to a black and white output (like the green channel from my height map) resolved the issue I was having. Strange that this error notification was not popping up in my original layered material, probably a bug.