Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fallout 4 retextures [WIP & REL]

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
Millenia polycount sponsor
Heya, while waiting for Fallout 4 mod tools to come out, I've started redoing textures for the weapons I feel could use a little bit of touching up. The double barrel shotgun's barrel textures looked rather blurry in-game so that was kind of the inspiration behind starting this little project, as well as accustoming myself to their shaders.

First up the double-barrel shotgun, which I finished & released tonight. More to follow :)

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2211/

Replies

• Synen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synen polycounter lvl 7
    Looks amazing, I am curious since I'm working on a couple of textures myself is how do you repackage the file to work in-game since the creation kit is not out yet. I have the B.A.E. program to extract the files 
  • Mr. Brightside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr. Brightside polycounter lvl 8
    You don't need to "re package" texture files, just make sure they go into the correct data directory and modify an .ini file.
  • Fridock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fridock polycounter lvl 11
    So it begins! Can't wait to see more from you.
    Hey can you tell what textures new Fallout uses, or even better show the original flats.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fridock said:
    Hey can you tell what textures new Fallout uses, or even better show the original flats.

Most things have albedo, spec (Stored in the red channel of the _s.dds), gloss (stored in the green channel of the _s.dds) and BC5/ATI 3dc normal maps.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Very nice, are they on nexus(link)?
    Good seeing a proper texture mod, not just upp-ressed, sharpen and normal map filter :)

How much do you know about the differences from F3 when it comes to the textures?
    In the unpacking tool readme I used, it mentioned using a new dds format.

I only recolored my pip-boy while messing with it so far.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good seeing a proper texture mod, not just upp-ressed, sharpen and normal map filter :)

How much do you know about the differences from F3 when it comes to the textures?

Ah I forgot to put a link on the first post, fixed that now. Basically their inputs are fairly standard spec/gloss, only difference being that the original files are saved as BC5 for the normal maps and 2-channel BC7 for the spec/gloss to conserve memory. It will take any format of DXT compression; I released my files as simple DXT1 since I don't have means of compressing to BC7 easily at the moment.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for answering my questions, good details to know about :)
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    I've been playing with some of the character textures and while there's a decent workaround for normal maps.. the specular/gloss map didn't work very well.. so you just exported them with dxt1 and they work so well?
  • herringscott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    herringscott polycounter lvl 4
    How did you do this? I must know!!
  • Synen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synen polycounter lvl 7
    You don't need to "re package" texture files, just make sure they go into the correct data directory and modify an .ini file.
    Cool thanks man. 

@Millenia this looks amazing, Is it possible to see your process on how you went about this. 
  • ImsumDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImsumDave polycounter lvl 11
    Millenia said:

Ah I forgot to put a link on the first post, fixed that now. Basically their inputs are fairly standard spec/gloss, only difference being that the original files are saved as BC5 for the normal maps and 2-channel BC7 for the spec/gloss to conserve memory. It will take any format of DXT compression; I released my files as simple DXT1 since I don't have means of compressing to BC7 easily at the moment.

Looks like a nice upgrade, especially the metal. Nice work. 

Any source on the information about the spec/gloss? I know some amount of the texture extraction from the ba2's was fudged to get it working ASAP and may not be completely correct. I thought that the spec/gloss (_s) textures are 3Dc/ATI2/BC5, same as the normal maps. Or is that only a temporary thing as a part of the fudging I mentioned?

3Dc/ATI2/BC5 is two channel and does not result in significant quality loss like DXT1 does. With DXT1 you get ugly compression artifacts and an extra wasted channel, but the file will be half the size. I know that AMD Compress has an option to compress as BC7 with RGB or RGBA. Though there is no option for two channel BC7. I doubt there would be a very large quality gain over 3Dc/ATI2/BC5 and BC7 would likely result in a larger file size.

Millenia said:
    Fridock said:

Most things have albedo, spec (Stored in the red channel of the _s.dds), gloss (stored in the green channel of the _s.dds) and BC5/ATI 3dc normal maps.

I thought it went red channel for gloss and green channel for spec. I haven't done anything more than tinkering with the F4 textures atm. Am i wrong on that?
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImsumDave said:
    Millenia said:

Looks like a nice upgrade, especially the metal. Nice work. 

Any source on the information about the spec/gloss? I know some amount of the texture extraction from the ba2's was fudged to get it working ASAP and may not be completely correct. I thought that the spec/gloss (_s) textures are 3Dc/ATI2/BC5, same as the normal maps. Or is that only a temporary thing as a part of the fudging I mentioned?

3Dc/ATI2/BC5 is two channel and does not result in significant quality loss like DXT1 does. With DXT1 you get ugly compression artifacts and an extra wasted channel, but the file will be half the size. I know that AMD Compress has an option to compress as BC7 with RGB or RGBA. Though there is no option for two channel BC7. I doubt there would be a very large quality gain over 3Dc/ATI2/BC5 and BC7 would likely result in a larger file size.

Millenia said:
    Fridock said:

I thought it went red channel for gloss and green channel for spec. I haven't done anything more than tinkering with the F4 textures atm. Am i wrong on that?

Conversion reverses them, my textures match marmoset pretty closely with r spec & g gloss where as the other way around I get flat glossiness and crazy busy spec. I save just as DXT1 as the resolution is big enough to mask the artifacts. Any format should do, really.

Started on combat shotgun, I do these all in dDo utilising 2.0's 3d painting abilities heavily. Used to blend/mask photos by hand but this gives as good results with more control.
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    aw dangit i want quixel 2.0 so badly
  • ImsumDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImsumDave polycounter lvl 11
    Millenia said:
    Conversion reverses them, my textures match marmoset pretty closely with r spec & g gloss where as the other way around I get flat glossiness and crazy busy spec. I save just as DXT1 as the resolution is big enough to mask the artifacts. Any format should do, really.
    Ya, I tested it and you're right. They are reversed when using DXT1. With 3Dc/ATI2/BC5, red channel is gloss and green channel is spec. With DXT1, red channel is spec and green channel is gloss. See EDIT2 below

As for whether to use DXT1 or 3Dc/ATI2/BC5, I think Bethesda may have downscaled textures and used 3Dc/ATI2/BC5 rather than higher resolutions and using DXT1 because the file size is smaller (half) and there are potentially less compression artifacts. DXT1 is likely fine for spec/gloss maps, but as you probably already know DXT compression can absolutely ruin a normal map.

EDIT: To clarify a few things -- the F4 engine/renderer treats 3Dc, ATI2, and BC5 dds textures the same, that is that it assumes the red and green channels are switched (includes normal maps red=Y green =X). To confuse things, depending on what you use to compress your textures, how they are compressed will change.

AMD Compress:
    BC5 - compressed texture red and green channels do not match source texture (switched)
    ATI2N_XY - compressed texture red and green channels do not match source texture (switched)
    ATI2N - compressed texture red and green channels match source texture
    Photoshop Nvidia dds plugin:
    3Dc - compressed texture red and green channels match source texture
    GIMP dds plugin:
    BC5 / ATI2 (3Dc) - compressed texture red and green channels match source texture

What this means for anyone editing vanilla F4 textures is that you may need to pay close attention to the image channels of both the normal and spec/gloss maps, and the compression type.

EDIT2:  I was wrong about the channel swap. In reality, BC5 compression stores the red and green channel data in a different order (red then green), where as ATI2/3Dc (it's predecessor) did the opposite by default (optional alternate XY swizzle). Tools originally designed with ATI2 in mind may not handle BC5 textures properly or at all depending on the texture's file header and fourCC support of the tool. The Nvidia PS DDS plugin, which I was using to open and view Fallout 4 textures is one of these such tools. Basically, it incorrectly swaps the RG channels when opening the Fallout 4 _n and _s textures.

See this google doc for a breakdown of BC5/ATI2/3Dc support in various tools
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    In before someone brings up the F3 retexture drama lol
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    @Shinigami I don't want to butt-in, but why don't you try yourself? You'll never be good at texturing if you don't try. Could be a great learning experience-- and you'd have no-one to share the credit with, if you release it as a mod. Post your progress in a new thread, and I'm sure everyone would be willing to give you tips, and feedback.
  • Thanez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanez interpolator
    Looking good man. Could use some variation in that corrosion. You should look into pitting. Happens when stuff has been lying around untouched/unmaintained for years and years.

• OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    Very good! I cannot believe how blurry a lot of the textures look in that game. The shotgun is a great improvement.

• Komix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Komix polycounter lvl 6
    Can't wait for GECK release, I'm working on a weapon for the game and im curious about the settings with the new engine, hurry up Todd
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some more questions, do you know what the blue channel in the _s textures for?
    And when you say "as well as accustoming myself to their shaders."
    Do you mean actually modifying the shaders or how they work with the textures?
    Since I am have been doing some textures for a prop and having a hard time getting it to look like metal(reflections).

• Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some more questions, do you know what the blue channel in the _s textures for?
    And when you say "as well as accustoming myself to their shaders."
    Do you mean actually modifying the shaders or how they work with the textures?
    Since I am have been doing some textures for a prop and having a hard time getting it to look like metal(reflections).

Just trying to get used how they work and how to get the best results, heh. I guess cranking both r/g channels and making it fairly dark in the diffuse should give you a metallic enough look. Shame they didn't implement a UE4 style metalness PBR :( The blue channel does nothing, you only ever have any kind of information there if you open it up with the Photoshop plugin or anything else that treats it as a BC5/ATI2 texture, since those try to recreate the missing blue channel when opening it up. Anything that supports DX11 formats only shows information in the first two channels.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah okies, I am indeed using the photoshop plugin.
    Yeah, would be nice to have the metallic system in there, however I will try and darken my diffuse and see if I get a more metallic look.
  • CreativeHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    Looking good! How did you go about extracting the models?
  • primnull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    primnull polycounter lvl 5
    probably used BAE extractor. or something else like the html offline searcher. Forgot the link but it's on the fallout4mods nexus
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My process is as follows:

B.A.E to extract model & texture files
    Noesis  to convert .nif to .obj (remember to tick "Flip UV" every single time you export a mesh)
    AMD Compressonator to convert the normal map from BC5 to a standard format

After you convert the normal map the channel order will be reversed so you will have to swap the red & green channels around. You will also want to remember to tick "Flip Y" in Quixel Suite if you use dDo to work on the textures, as it expect y+ by default whilst the game uses y-.
    ----

Almost done with this bad boy, just finishing up the attachments so I can release it.

• instg8r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    instg8r polycounter lvl 8
    Very nice work! Thanks for sharing your process, too!
  • Millenia
  • CreativeHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    Looking really good! Thanks for explaining your process. I am interested in retexturing some of the assets to. If your interested in teaming up pm and let me know!
  • Tokyo_Funk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful work Millenia.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started on another one, needs a fair bit of polish still:

• primnull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    primnull polycounter lvl 5
    Any reason the edges have so much wear on them? looks a little overkill
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    Well it has been sitting in a post-apocalyptic wasteland for ~270 years (and was probably around for quite a bit before the bombs fell).
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's a combination of sticking to the aesthetic and actually making it read. The shaders don't exactly work the same in-game than in marmoset, so that "extreme" wear looks like this from most angles ingame:

(PS: need to fix that typo in the markings, stupid keyboard causes double strokes on some keys if the key's not fully bottomed out >__>)
  • versan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    versan polycounter lvl 3
    Hello Millenia and thanks for your work, look amazing :)
    Any chance you got a fast workflow for painter<->ingame test ? All the loading/waiting time to load/test/editing/retest is killing me.
    And if you could tell how you work in ddo ? I mean, you start with a metalness PBR (albedoM/metal/rough) or a specular PBR (albedo/spec/gloss) workflow ? And how you export ?
    Sorry for the question, but the result in FO4 are really hard to understand.