Home Technical Talk

Material Tinting

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
Halo 5 Infinity uses something called material tinting. Is this RGB tint we are talking about or something else?

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8v41w

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Probably they're using grayscale textures, and colorizing them in the shader. I'm doing a lot of this right now for a mobile game.

If you use a 2x multiply with the color, you can get a very nice range. Middle gray gives no change in brightness or color, but as you stray further into saturation or lightness, the texture is darkened/lightened/colored more and more. Some examples in my digital sketchbook.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah ok cool, been doing similar too but directly to textures using color value in Shader Forge. Cheers 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm using Shader Forge too. Here's a shot of the shader.
    http://polycount.com/discussion/160691/sketchbook-eric-chadwick

I don't know if this is the technique they're using though.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for sharing this. As for me I am not working at such complex level :flushed: 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It only looks complex. The shader is really made of very simple pieces, duplicated a few times. The ideas are pretty straight forward. 
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Probably they're using grayscale textures, and colorizing them in the shader. I'm doing a lot of this right now for a mobile game.

If you use a 2x multiply with the color, you can get a very nice range. Middle gray gives no change in brightness or color, but as you stray further into saturation or lightness, the texture is darkened/lightened/colored more and more. Some examples in my digital sketchbook.
    You can bias it a little more nicely (though a tad more expensive, i think 5 instructions more?) by doing something like this:

float base = tex2D( grayscaleTex, uv).r; //ideally you'd actually want to sample this as a vec3 and have one channel for the value, and the other two for masking other colors.

vec3 c = base * color;
    c *= lerp( c, vec3(1,1,1), someSlider ); //using a slider to bias the amount of contrast in the image by interpolating between your now colored texture and pure white can give you some really nice results.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Lee. What does c represent? And what does " c *= " mean? I'm not used to writing shaders in a text editor, I mostly wire them in a gui, so I'm a bit hazy on concatenated instructions like this.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    oh i'm sorry man.

c here represents "color". and 'c *=' means to take what is currently c, and multiply it by what follows the '=' and then use that result from then onwards.

If i were to do this in a node based editor (i don't have one for unity, so i'll use unreal instead, hope that's okay) it would look something like this:

Sorry for the terrible example texture, that particular one is roughness/metallic/specular masks heh.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Lee, this looks like it'll be fun to play with. I'll have a go of it after this milestone, for sure.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well that is interesting, I ll give it a shot too. Cheers

• cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11

If you use a 2x multiply with the color, you can get a very nice range. Middle gray gives no change in brightness or color, but as you stray further into saturation or lightness, the texture is darkened/lightened/colored more and more.
    Aye, been doing it some for smartphone VR stuff as well, using vert colors to individualize grayscale (channelpacked) tiling textures - never used a 2x multiply though. Is it Vertex Color x Texture x Vertex Color again?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, it's a color swatch multiplied by 2, then the texture is multiplied with the result. I also divide the texture by 2, add a value (alpha of the color swatch), then multiply this with the new color result. The alpha allows a kind of brightness/contrast, for softness. While the color controls color and contrast. Works pretty well.

It works OK on iOS, but there's a lot else going on in the scene, and it's blending four layers. So we're looking at optimizations.