Home Career & Education

Cubebrush.co - New Marketplace For Everything CG

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Bluefley polycounter lvl 8
Update - Skip down to the latest posts for up-to-date announcements

Hi everyone!

I'm very happy to announce we finally launched our new platform for artists - cubebrush.co

We've been able to gather a ton of awesome artists already and we are pushing hard to find more every day and improve on the new marketplace we just launched.

I'll use this thread to gather your feedback and answer your questions if you have any, and of course don't hesitate to share this around! Hopefully we can help a ton of you either make a living, or find what you need to improve your skills or complete a project.

Replies

• Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    Hi Marc. What country is the site based in?
    I'm asking because US based 3d markets usually require non-US people to get some kind of american tax ID, which seemed a bit of a hassle last time I checked it.
  • Bluefley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We're based in California, US. You're partially right about the extra requirements we must comply with but  as far as what you need, it's nothing you don't have.

US-based marketplaces are required to gather sellers' tax ID numbers to properly verify their identities but you don't need to get a US tax ID. You would just enter whatever tax ID you use where you live. We've made the forms really easy to fill-in too.

But to sell, you don't actually need to do any of that. We allow you to skip it. The only caveat is that a withholding tax will apply to its maximum rate for unverified sellers... which you might want to avoid ;) 
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    I don't like that I am forced to signup before I can browse or read any of your FAQs etc

Edit: Plus I might add your payout is at $20 where Gumroads is 10, it wont look lucrative to many people when gumroad is already established for most and they at a time now moving to weekly payments yours does the calendar month and I can't see anything written thats set in stone on your fees, hosting percentage etc.
  • Bluefley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't like that I am forced to signup before I can browse or read any of your FAQs etc

Edit: Plus I might add your payout is at $20 where Gumroads is 10, it wont look lucrative to many people when gumroad is already established for most and they at a time now moving to weekly payments yours does the calendar month and I can't see anything written thats set in stone on your fees, hosting percentage etc.
    When we launch all of that will be readily available on our homepage but while in beta, indeed you're right you have to sign in or type in the address directly (http://support.cubebrush.co/).

We get compared to Gumroad a lot but it's important to understand we are 2 very different business types. They make tools to allow users to sell to their audience. We do the same but on top of that we also provide, grow and engage the audience.

Might be good to note that while they have established themselves brilliantly so far, their future looks uncertain. We certainly don't plan on following in their footsteps by gambling our sellers' livelihoods and the fate of our company on incredible growth without the proper data. I have no doubt we will revisit our payouts as we go, but we are being cautious for now.

Now looking at other marketplaces out there, we wanted to do better on every level. You can find the info on the Help Center I linked above but in a nutshell: base revenue share is 80% of sales with no other fees or deductions, payments are on the 1st and 15th of each month (for now) and sellers have pretty awesome stores they can make their own.

As newcomers, I don't see us as a replacement for anything currently out there but more as an extra revenue stream.

But as we grow... we have ambitious plans :)
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Congrats on the new shop, looks really good! I am a big fan of the cubebrush youtube channel and have been for quite a while. Sounds like you have that international tax thing worked out which is great. Looking forward to the opening.

May the sun shine on your path.
    Cheerio
  • Bluefley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga said:
    Congrats on the new shop, looks really good! I am a big fan of the cubebrush youtube channel and have been for quite a while. Sounds like you have that international tax thing worked out which is great. Looking forward to the opening.

May the sun shine on your path.
    Cheerio
    Awesome to hear, thanks for the support so far!
  • armagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    armagon polycounter lvl 11
    What is the license on the freebies? CC-0?
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    ARMAGON: I think thats up to each individual artist, so if not stated otherwise I would guess it's free to use for work etc.
  • armagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    armagon polycounter lvl 11
    The absence of a license means that default copyright laws apply. This means that the author retain all rights to the work and that nobody else may reproduce, distribute, or create derivative works from it. Essentially, it means that the author can sue whoever is using that piece of work, whenever he wants.

"Free" isn't really free. So, a proper license should be stated in each page of each asset, with all the legal mumbo jumbo. I encourage using Creative Commons (https://creativecommons.org) and suggesting their licensing options to authors, so you can avoid problems in the future.

The same applies to paid assets: what is the license? Am i allowed to modify the assets? Am i allowed to use them in how many projects? Who owns the asset? Is it royalty-free? etc, etc. Licenses matter!

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I guess you are right, I think Artist resource creators might be too laid back regarding this, both good and bad I guess.
    I got a lot of emails regarding if they could use my brushes commercially or not so I wrote that it's ok on the bottom of the product description, might not be legally valid though.

some asset stores have an option to choose between a couple of licence agreements when you create your product, might be something to think about.
  • Bluefley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, good points.

We are actually working on our own license that will apply to all products sold on Cubebrush. We want to avoid the headache of having to look for license details for every products. 

For now though, it's indeed up to each seller to specify it.
  • Bluefley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *Updated the first post with the following*
    Hi everyone!

I'm very happy to announce we finally launched our new platform for artists - cubebrush.co

We've been able to gather a ton of awesome artists already and we are pushing hard to find more every day and improve on the new marketplace we just launched.

I'll use this thread to gather your feedback and answer your questions if you have any, and of course don't hesitate to share this around! Hopefully we can help a ton of you either make a living, or find what you need to improve your skills or complete a project.

• Bluefley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's up guys! Happy New Year!

We've started to publish interviews on our blog so I'll be updating this thread with each new one! We get to chat with some really impressive guys so hopefully you find this as interesting as we do!

Here are the few we did so far, let me know what you think!

Featured Interview: Chung Kan

Featured Interview: Pawel Lyczkowski

Featured Interview: Bastien L. D.

Featured Interview: Stan Prokopenko

Featured Interview: Huseyin Bulut

• Bluefley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, we're happy to say Cubebrush will be sponsoring The Game Challenge 2016! Participate for a chance to win some crazy prizes and a ticket to IFCC!
    http://thegameworkshop.net/the-game-challenge-2016/

• Bluefley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

We've been working on some cool stuff over @ Cubebrush and today's announcement should be especially exciting for sellers.We've just changed our fee structure pretty drastically  - You can now sell your products directly at an industry-lowest fee of 5%, that's it. 

Check out the full article about it for all the details!
  • Bluefley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Dropbox Is Here!

One particular feature that has been requested times and times again since we launched 2 months ago is the ability to save and upload content to/from Dropbox. Today we're introducing the first phase of our integration with the option to save your purchased/free products directly to Dropbox!

The second phase will be to allow sellers to upload their products from Dropbox and it should be available in the coming days. Save space on your hard drives, use Dropbox!

• Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
     :) I definitely like the looks of this, could see myself buying brush sets in the near future
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    I was wondering at this moment what is the main difference between Cubebrush and Gumroad?

I definitively see cubebrush being more active with promoting content. Any other big differences in pricing, newsletters?
  • SpaceRogue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue polycounter lvl 3
    David-J said:
    I was wondering at this moment what is the main difference between Cubebrush and Gumroad?

I definitively see cubebrush being more active with promoting content. Any other big differences in pricing, newsletters?
    I'd say Cbrush is focused around a topic, its easier to navigate, has a forum and his personal Youtube channel, to build a proper community.

Gumroad is a site where you sell digital goods, any type of digital goods or services that can be provided from a distance. Also this is probably personal but I find Gumroad a hazard to navigate and even find things on, so I barley go there unless someone hands me a link to a specific tutorial. 
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    CBrush is better. I don't GumRoad, why people sell stuff on it is beyond me.  Although don't be biased to only towards dropbox.  Dropbox is expensive for Cloud Storage; CBrush must open to the other Cloud Storage services out there; don't mimic GumRoad and restrict to DropBox, another reason why GumRoad is just a bad site to sell stuff on.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I would love to prioritize my selling on Cubebrush as it does cater to the right crowd, but for some reason stuff rarely sell on there, usually people just pick up the free stuff, in comparison a month of sales on cubebrush is about half a day of my sales on gumroad.
  • Bluefley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while since I was on here - @Jonas Ronnegard It really has to do with where you advertise. Correct me if I'm wrong but all your ads and public posts lead to your Gumroad store right?

If you did the same for your Cubebrush store, you'd be getting the same kinds of results, likely better, and you'd be paying much less in transaction fees. Cubebrush's growth started very slow like most marketplaces but it's been growing exponentially the last 12 months thanks to more and more people promoting their content there. Unlike Gumroad where each store is a dead end, on Cubebrush you share your audience with everybody else, and other sellers share theirs as well. In the end, everybody benefits and this will only get better and better as more people switch over to Cubebrush from Gumroad.

Soon you'll have the option to import your followers list from other platforms so it'll be really easy to consolidate everything on Cubebrush :)

@CreativeSheep Yep we're looking to add Google Drive soon

On a side note, I completely forgot about this page, lots of new features have been released since and lots of awesome new ones coming, time to get this thread updated!
  • Bluefley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's just a summary of just some of the new features since my last post, you can click each of them to learn more - didn't want to create a monster post with all the info but if you'd prefer that, let me know.

Mass Upload

Tip

Sales & Coupons

Followers

Send discount to followers

Forums

Marmoset viewer on forums

Wishlist - Collections

Discounts

"Share your code with your friends — When they redeem it they will get 20% OFF their first purchase and you will get 10% OFF your next one!"

Licenses

Notifications

As you can see, we've been busy! There's obviously a lot more smaller features and improvements I skipped over but here's a few good ones you can expect by the end of the year:

• Homepage revamp/better category browsing
    • Private messages (testing phase)
    • Blog revamp + guest posting
    • Import followers
    • Wide display responsive layout
    • mobile version (by the end of the year)
    • gift feature
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    If marmoset viewer is supported on the forums, is it also supported on the product pages?
  • Bluefley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Grimwolf Not yet, but that's coming.
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    I am getting to like this new website but I wish it would be a bit faster. However gumroad isnt  much faster as well. 
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    I'm having a good experience with the site so far. Much better sales from natural traffic than Gumroad. And you can actually rearrange the product images.
  • Bluefley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Private Messages

Hey guys, pretty excited we just launched our Private Messages 1.0 feature.

You will now be able to contact sellers directly with questions and keep track of conversations as well as discuss privately with other users on the forums.

Don't hesitate if you have questions or feedback!

-marc
  • Bluefley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Gift Feature

Just in time for the holiday season, excited to announce a new feature that's sure to make some people very happy - Gifts!At checkout, you'll now have the option to send your order to a loved one as a gift, and it couldn't be simpler.First, check the box at checkout and enter the email of the person you want to send the gift to:
    Second, complete checking out as usual! You will get an email confirmation for your order, and your friend/colleague/family member will get an email on your behalf with download links!Whatever it is you want to send as a gift - now you can!
  • Bluefley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all! It's been a while since the last update, but that doesn't mean we haven't been active, on the contrary!

Here's a recap of most new features we released in the last 10 months:
    • Payout history for sellers
    • Monthly webinars for sellers
    • Transition to be GDPR compliant
    • New product page design
    • New mobile support for key pages, working towards 100% mobile
    • Number of security upgrades
    • Simplified tax setup for new sellers (aka got rid of most of it thanks to a company restructure)
    • And a whole lot more stuff behind the scenes

AND we have a new website redesign almost completed, should be live in a short few weeks.
  • Bluefley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also,

We now accept cryptocurrency

New big announcements should be coming soon.