Home General Discussion

Using Fiverr to do ''freelance'' work and sell assets

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
https://www.fiverr.com/

What's your opinion? I hear people saying sites like this ''cheapen'' the market..I'm quite surprised at how much there's some good quality work here and here.

DO you imagine yourself writing '' I make any low-poly assets for you for 5$''

Looks tempting...not?

Replies

• huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Tempting for wasting your time! Maybe if you're an absolute beginner you could make some stuff for practice, but other than that, no way, at least try on freelancer.com or other bigger sites.
  • pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    If you feel like your time is worth less than 1$/hour then go for it I guess.

I went through a couple pages of the 3D section and didn't find anyone that made great models. I don't even think normal companies/indie teams go there to look for artists. I know that if I needed an artist for a game then I would just email people from here or go to artstation and find someone that I like.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    My initial reaction is that it "this cheapens the market". However after talking to a couple of artists that use the service it's seems like more of an introduction. First asset is $5, and if you want more gotta make a typical freelance contract. I don't know if that's the websites intention, but that's how it's being used.

So in a sense it's a lure for people that need creative services.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Man... this reminds me of the guy over on the unreal forums who'll do like, anything for $10.

I'm going to preface this by saying i don't know the guy personally, and that he seems like a nice guy from his posts. BUT:

Fuck that guy, and fuck this service. You're absolutely right it cheapens the market, it devalues our services and our skills, and it's toxic. This is the "race to the bottom" mindset that eventually fucks us all over. Because in a couple of years there'll be a "$1 store" instead.

I wonder if there's already one of these out there that deals in exposure.