Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wolf Bust WIP

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
artofmars polycounter lvl 9
Almost done with this bust I have been working on. I am hoping to get some feed back especially on the hair alpha areas.

Marmoset file!!
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ndReX

Replies

• artofmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumping this, hoping to get some advise on how to remove the lines where the fur alphas connect to the model :]
  • Louisk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Louisk polycounter lvl 3
    Can we see your wire frame, Uvs, and textures? I feel like there are a lot factors.

The hair card looks like it is welded to the mesh? How did you bake it?

I looked at the marmoset file, but it would be easier to see your maps and geo of the specific problem area if you post them here.

It could be as simple softening that edge if it is welded. Try looking at your model with no maps on it, do you see the seam? Try just looking at it with just the normal map, do you see the seam?
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Hey, not sure if this would work but it might be worth a try. If you harden the edge where your jawline meets the alpha card and make sure the normal map there is plain (50% grey on R and G channel and 100% white on blue channel) that should make that edge invisible (so long as the diffuse map is the same colour there).Also, you'll have to make sure that the cards are at the same angle as the edge of the jaw. If you want the fur to flare out, add an extra edge loop in the alpha, soften it, and pull the outer edge out.

Maybe someone else has a more...elegant answer...hahah
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    This is awesome. For stuff like that you could try an Unlit shader (a material that has no lighting information) and just make sure the colors where the seams are match in the diffuse. (May not work depending on what is going on with your main shader....the one applied to the wolf itself.) Worth a shot. 

Reminds me of this guy...

• jacob thomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob thomas polycounter lvl 9
    So those seams are visible in both the normal and albedo.
    All the above methods have potential to fix the normals.
    What method do you use for painting the albedo?
  • artofmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello!
    Thanks everyone for all of the comments and suggestions!

LouisK:
    Yea, i created the hair cards from extruding from one of the edge loops. I double checked to make sure the normal and diffuse values matched the each other but ill double check.

and here is the topology, diffuse and normal as flats.

Selaznog: I'll push the normals and try to make sure they are plain where they meet, I also really like the edge loop solution. so if the above doesn't work i will do that.

Pixelpartron: Thank you! Working on it unlit is definitely making it easier to match the colors.
    I should have called this post G'mork, what was i doing..

Jacob Thomas: I used mudbox to hand paint a rough albedo and then I refined it in photoshop.

Thanks again everyone!