Home Technical Talk

3DSMax - Using Out of Range loop on multi-animation timeline

polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
When setting the "Out of Range Type" in the curve editor to 'loop' it'll allow an animation to loop as many times as the timeline length will allow. But, if you're storing multiple animations along the timeline the loop takes the hidden parts of the timeline into account too. Is there a way to make the Out of Range Type only be affected by the currently visible frames, or specify different Out of Range Type for different expanses of the timeline?

On a side note, do most animators keep all their animations for a character on one timeline or in multiple files?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I don't think Out of Range takes into account the visible range, it just extends before the first keyframe and after the last keyframe.

To get your sequences to loop, just adjust the curves on the first/last keys of each motion. If I recall correctly, you need to set the visible range to one before the end, to get it the Play button to run a nice loop.

In my experience, each animation is usually a separate file. I've used a pipeline where it was all in one file, with a custom exporter that exported each range as a separate file. It was easier to make changes to the model or rig, but a bit of a pain to animate in.