Home Quixel Megascans

ANSWERED: How to use 'use custom painted edge'?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Gungriffon Geona polycounter lvl 18
I don't know where exactly to look for documentation of this feature, but multiple google searches and checking the wiki don't explain this.
In Ddo legacy (and possibly the newer versions, I haven't checked those myself.) there's a detail option called 'use hand painted edge'. the thing is, how exactly do I set up this edge for the program to read? do i need to make a vector line or something? I'm working with a hard surface mesh that for some reason the program isn't reading the edges of the mesh at all and defines 'on edges' as nearly the whole mesh area, so being able to choose exactly where things go would be a tremendous help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Pleasure
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pleasure mod
    In 1.8 the edges are being read from the Cavity map, which is generated via normal map or curvature map. You can make your own cavity map and plug it into the Base creator, to have some control over this. When clicking on the Mask of a material you go into the Dynamask editor, where you have additional control over the Cavity map and others maps.

Hope this answers your Question ?
    If you have any further Questions feel free to post them here.
    (Edit: Just noticed you are working with DDo Legacy, i will check that out, and will post how to do it on Legacy in a few minutes)

• Pleasure
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pleasure mod
    I will need to get back to you on the Ddo Legacy part, i should have an answer for you in the next days.

Of course my suggestion is to use 1.8 rather than legacy, since there are tremendous improvements in the newer version. One of them being pbr support. But i will definitely get you your answer !
  • Pleasure
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pleasure mod
    Okay,
    the only thing anybody still remembers is to create a new layer, handpaint it and have that button selected. I have tried it myself and could not get it to work :) But maybe someone else can. I also have not used ddo legacy in ages.