Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Tectonic

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
Hey everyone. I just recently had my portfolio critiqued by a character artist at EA and he recommended I add more head and anatomy sculpts. So with that in mind I'm going to try and do semi-daily head sculpts until I have 15 or so that are portfolio worthy. Comments and critiques are welcome!

Replies

• Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To start off with here are two that I did a while ago that I currently have in my portfolio. They took me about 2 hours each, I'd love to get to the point where I can produce them at 1h instead.

• Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did this one just today. 2 hours. not rendered as nicely as the others though. I think some areas I already notice I need improvement is the corners of the mouth looking very flat. Right now I'm using references with a neutral expression, eventually I'd love to try dynamic expressions though.

• Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    Good idea! Do you mind me asking:

1. Where and how did you get your portfolio critiqued by an official EA Artist? 
    I don't plan working for EA, but When I have completed my full folio in 6 months, I'd love to have it critiqued by Bethesda Game Studios.

2. Are you going to sculpt 15 random heads and perhaps choose 3 of them to create a full, game ready characters. You could adventure into, and invest time in their cultural background and story:

An African female warrior, covered in face and body paint and in light armor scaled in bone, preparing to ambush enemy troops from another land.

I myself want to delve into Environment Art, but when I see a fully fleshed character, in his/her environment and showing a clear indication of their intention to another character/beast, I think they stop being daily sculpts...and begin to live.

Another option:
    You choose only 2 of these sculpts and have them in an Environment, hunting eachother, unless they're lovers...which ever floats ya boat :D 

Let me know what you think about that anyways, I loveeeee the second sculpts, her meditative state is calming.
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 2:

I got a little closer to my reference this time. hair isn't quite as detailed, but she has eyebrows!

@Beard3d Bandit, my sister-in-law's friend's husband works at EA and I got his email through her. It was a pretty lucky connection for me to get. I have some other characters in mind to make fully, these are just to show knowledge of anatomy and what I can produce in short periods of time. as well as its pretty good practice to get better. I'd love to make one every day for a month if I can, and then select the best to put in my portfolio on one page.
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I missed a day due to being busy, but here's the 3rd. I'm trying to get a variety of faces going on so it doesn't get boring. I'm not sure I'm getting faster, but I think I'm getting more accurate.
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    #4!

Pretty happy with this one. I got a little carried away on the hair and it cost me not having time to detail the neck very well. I'm caught between feeling tired of doing these, but once I start one I don't want to stop when my timer goes off haha. the more I do though, the more I realize I probably wont do quite as many as planned. I'm not getting much faster, at the 1 hr mark the face looks proportionally like my reference, but lacking creases or folds, and hair. I'm going to do a couple more. I really want to do a child's head but I can't find any reference that shows front, side, and 3/4 view of the same child.
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Last one for a little while I think. Finally found some images of children that looked similar enough to work. the hair was fun to do as well.