Home Technical Talk

Grease Pencil in 3DSMax?

polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
Does anyone know if max has an equivalent to the Grease Pencil found in Maya/Blender? I know there were some scripts floating around years ago to do it, but maybe its got a built in version by now?

Replies

• ChrisCandide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisCandide polycounter lvl 9
    Check out DViewPaint II. It works pretty well with the current ersion of max.
    http://polycount.com/discussion/168664/dviewpaint-ii
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    What do you want to use it for? You can paint topology in the graphite tools but to my knowledge ther's no equivalent of conforming selected geometry to a grease stroke or creating complex surfaces from a hand full of strokes like with bsurfaces.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    What do you want to use it for? You can paint topology in the graphite tools but to my knowledge ther's no equivalent of conforming selected geometry to a grease stroke or creating complex surfaces from a hand full of strokes like with bsurfaces.
    Grease pens are usually for drawing directly on your screen when animating. It's like conceping the timing/spacing, checking poses, planning the sequence out roughly before actually animating the rig, or even working it out whilst doing it. It allows you to try out ideas without committing to the hours it takes to do this with a rig.

@PolyHertz I also would recommend dvpaint2. Not just because it's pretty much the only tool of its kind for Max, :) but also because it's really good. It's created by an animator, Eric delarge, I believe.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    I know it's used for animation, ther's some good uses for general modeling aswell tho, hence i asked what he wants to use it for.