Welcome to the Warframe Tennogen Contest! Digital Extremes and Polycount would like to invite all Tenno to craft new helmets and create model swaps for some of our favourite weapons.
Below you will find the information to get started. Even if you have not joined the Tenno already playing Warframe you can participate. Bring your best blades, heaviest hammers and most stylish helmets and you will get more than a sack of platinum for your effort.
- The contest starts on November 4th and the deadline is DECEMBER 1st 2015 @ 11:59PM EST (GMT – 5)
- The winners will be announced the week after the contest concludes and then available on Steam with the next Tenno Reinforcements.
- For the Warframe : Polycount Contest, participants will create fully modeled & textured, original alt helmets and weapon model swaps for sale in Warframe. You are allowed to submit as many times and in as many categories as you can in the time allotted.
Exception: If you have already started a character alternate skin you may be able to integrate that with your alt helmet design..
- You must make your item for the contest, and not re-use assets you may have previously created.
- Avoid contemporary references, pop culture, and 'meta' humour. While we have fun with this during holiday times your goal should be something that fits with the Warframe universe all year round. Your entry cannot contain elements from copyrighted works, reference to other IP’s, or make use of any images or material that you do not own.
- You may team up with as many artists/concept artists as you like for this contest. If you do team up with others please pay special attention to the submitting guideline noted below! Prizes will be given to the person who submitted it to the workshop, and it will be their responsibility to divide the prizes amongst contributors.
- You must create and maintain a Work-In-Progress (WIP) thread at Polycount for your entry in the Warframe forum. If you enter in multiple categories you must have multiple threads for each entry and each will be separate on the Workshop.
- All submissions to the Steam Workshop for this contest must be final. Use your WIP thread on Polycount to show your work-in-progress.
- Each item has geometry and texture limits and the allowable triangle counts and texture sizes vary per item. These are hard limits, so please check your work before submitting.
- Your final workshop upload must include FBX for models and .PNG files and will be uploaded through the Warframe Tennogen Tool.
- Each item must have a tintmask, diffuse, metalness, roughness, emissive and normal map.
The Alt Helmets will be designed for our three starter Warframes, these characters have distinct looks, and powers for you to find a niche that fits.
This is Excalibur, a master of gun and blade.
No matter your style, Tenno, the Excalibur Warframe is a formidable choice.
is a sword-themed Warframe
. With the power to channel energy into his summoned blade, he is a mobile swordsman with potent methods of execution.
Here are examples of his existing alt helmets:
This is Mag, a force to be reckoned with.
Mag is a team player, Tenno, and a worthy addition to any squad.
Mag is a Warframe based on magnetic force. She boasts high shield strength in exchange for reduced suit integrity and average power capacity. Her abilities make her a potent medium for crowd control.
Here are examples of her existing alt helmets:
This is Volt, a versatile warrior.
Volt's arsenal is powerful and electrifying. Handle with care, Tenno.
Volt has the power to wield and bend electricity. He is highly versatile, armed with powerful abilities that can damage enemies, provide cover and complement the ranged and melee combat of his cell. The electrical nature of his abilities make him highly effective against the Corpus, with their robots in particular
Here are examples of his existing alt helmets:
Weapon Model Swaps
We have gathered a few of our most popular weapons to allow you to try your hand at building alternate models for them. They must have the same scale and the “business end” pointing in the right direction, but you otherwise have creative freedom. The Skana could be reskinned to be a Corpus energy sword and the Jat Kittag could be an Infested abomination. See the Model-Swap guide here
Before all other weapons, Tenno master the Skana. This simple blade becomes immensely powerful in the hands of a master. For Tenno, it is the foundation of their fighting style and a pillar of their culture.
With massive charged power and the ability to hit up to five foes in a single swing, the Galatine sword is the heavy artillery of melee weapons.
The Tenno forged Orthos is a rare double bladed staff. Those who take the time to master it speak of its impressive striking distance and ability to hit multiple targets.
Deliver crushing blows with this Grineer built, jet powered mace.
The Kronen resurrects a lethal fighting style once thought lost to the ages.
Creating your contest entry happens in three steps: Content creation, presentation, and submitting for final judging.
CREATING YOUR SUBMISSION
To begin work on your Item there are a few things you need to do:
- If you haven’t already, sign up for a Steam account. This will be required when it comes time to submit as you’ll be submitting to the Steam Workshop via the Warframe Workshop Tool.
- Sign up at Polycount. If you’re in to 3D modeling or texturing for video games, you’ll like it here at Polycount – promise! We have 75k+ members with virtually every video game studio’s talent represented in some way shape or form within our forum.
- Create a work-in-progress (WIP) thread in the Warframe forum and use the following format for your thread title:
For alt helmets:
[Alt Helmet] – Character Name – Your Item Name
Example: [Alt Helmet] – Mag – GaussCoil
For Weapon Model Swaps:
[Weapon Swap] – Original Weapon name – Your Item Name
Example: [Weapon Swap] – Galatine – Flammenschwert
- Update your WIP thread as often as possible! Documenting your progress is very important and will not only motivate you to finish, but it will allow the community to offer words of wisdom. It will also show the guys & gals at DE that you made your entry for this contest and aren’t reusing an old piece to cash in. Any and all decisions on this matter will be decided by Digital Extremes.
- 1 thread per workshop item. Any submissions being worked on by multiple artists must be posted to 1 WIP thread. Do not create 1 thread per artist on a team.
PRESENTING YOUR SUBMISSION
This image must contain at least 2 shots of your workshop item from different angles. Post effects from 3d software or 2d programs like Photoshop are NOT allowed in this image. The only adjustments allowed are: Brightness/Contrast, Levels, Sharpness, and Hue/Saturation.
This image should also contain your images of high poly model and your low poly with wireframe.
Any concept art, preliminary sketches, reference images, etc.
SUBMITTING YOUR ENTRY
Submission guidelines & instructions are found here
- Your submission through the Workshop will include the tag ‘Polycount Warframe Contest’. If this is absent your entry will not be considered for the contest.
- Your submission includes the link to your Polycount Forum thread for this contest. Please add this to the description of your item.
- Your final workshop upload must include your FBX for models, PNGs for textures and the Warframe Workshop Tool will guide you through their upload.
- Via the Workshop Steam page, you elect the Steam accounts of the people you teamed with for your entry and will portion the % of royalty they will receive from your winning entries earnings. This is not changeable afterwards. Make sure all involved know what they are potentially receiving ahead of time.
'There will be up to 14 winners total as chosen by Digital Extremes. Breakdown as follows:
- Up to 3 Excalibur Alternate Helmets!
- Up to 3 Mag Alternate Helmets!
- Up to 3 Volt Alternate Helmets!
- 1 Galatine Alternate Skin
- 1 Jat Kittag Alternate Skin
- Each winner will have their items placed in the WARFRAME store and will receive royalty payments from their items.
- As an example on how well that works, here is an interview on Gamasutra with Valve and the winners of the Polycount Pack TF2 Contest.
- 30% Revenue Sharing
- Guarantee of $500 worth of Shared Revenue in the first 3 months of content being on the Market!
- A Polycount trophy for every winner - that's up to 14 trophies to be won!
Warframe is a cooperative free-to-play online action game set in an evolving sci-fi world. Join your friends in player-vs-enemy raids across the solar system and master the power of the Warframes. Stand alone or fight together against enemies that threaten your world.