Home Technical Talk

Pbr albedo values

Dave Jr
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
Hi,

I'm currently working on another PBR project and something that got my attention was albedo values for "painted objects". I understand there are references available for objects like wood or plastic but how does paint come into this when it has such variety.

At the minute I'm working on a wooden stool of which is a classic style with caribole legs, and it's painted a vintage white with scratches and wear revealing a darker wood beneath the paint surface. (Sorry for lack of images I'm on mobile and out ATM)

How would this albedo differ for the paint in comparison to standard wood values whilst still looking realistic?

i hope I'm being clear here, but it's something that has bugged me for a few things and I see lack of information for anything other then "true materials"

Replies

• leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    If the wood is darker then it's just going to be darker, despite the brighter values for brand new wood. And if it's older, it's probably going to be more rough. The paint will be smoother, despite it being old and scratched up. Don't worry too much about "real" values for albedo colors, because it's different for everything. A single value for wood does not cover all types of wood. Find a couple of reference textures, remove the lighting and go from there. Just approach it in layers: base wood, old wood, base paint, old paint. Once you think you have a good starting point for part of the material, test it in different lighting conditions.