Home Unity

Unity 5 Optimisation

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Burpee polycounter lvl 9
Hi, one little quick question,

what's better for unity, 4 mesh with 1k texture each or 1 mesh with only 1 4k texture ?

Thanks guys!

Cheers!

Replies

• echofourpapa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    echofourpapa polycounter lvl 4
    Depends on platform, and what other constraints you have.

Reading a 1K texture is faster than a 4k, but those individual meshes can't batch.

This is one of those instances were you need to profile to figure out exactly where your bottlenecks are and go from there.
  • Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    al'right, I get it, I'm new to Unity, I'll do some research, thanks for you answer mate!
  • mtsirides
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mtsirides polycounter lvl 3
    if you mean what's heavier to load then I suppose polygons would be heavier to load. That's why you'll see 3d artists baking normals, it's more efficient to use images that are highly detailed and well unwrapped in combination with good normals. Rather than 3d models with high detail. Observe Triple-A games they usually do that kind of stuff, and occasionally to give you the 3D feel and realism they throw some extra polygons in there in order for it to pop-up. I hope I helped a bit. 
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    ECHOFOURPAPA answered this, but since this is more theoretical, than practical question, I would like to point out that 4k texture is 16 times the size of 1k  (2k is 4 times the size of 1k texture [with no compression taken into concideration]).

People would be more shocked if you told them you used 4k texture (for everything smaller than terrain), than if you told them about 4 meshes. (even more so if we are speaking of static props)
  • Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    Al'right, Thanks for you answer guys :)