Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New PewPew Project *WIP*

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Gazu polycounter lvl 12
Hi Guys!

After my UMP i started a new PewPew project.
This time a modified AK-74.

Here are some WIP Shots:
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png

Will post when there is more to show!

Thanks Guys! :)

Replies

• Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Good luck and have fun with this one!
    I´ve never been a fan of  AKs, but I´m sure you´ll do great!
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks C86!

Here the last Update before the HighPoly gets done:

Left: The Magazineswitch, the Magazine, the Barel and the Front Sight and some small details. Cant wait to finish dis AK 74 :)
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Finished :smile:

Please tell me what you think.
    Thank you,
    Gazu
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Nice model so far! I personally think the edges are quite thick, exaggerating them a bit you will get a much better bake.
    Heres an example by racer:

• Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    Really nice model. Good job. :)

Gonna take this further and do a game-ready with textures, etc.? 
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks Guys! Yeah, before i bake i will see to smooth some of the Edges :smile:
    Further im planing a Aimpoint Micro T2 for the Top Rail:

Im just a bit scared about the Shapes of the AImpoint at the Top ^^
    RailPanels for the Side and a Handgrip for the Lower Rail.

Edit: Oh Yes, i will make it Game Ready, but for a few days enough Headache ;)
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    I started to bake the gun.
    This time i go a bit higher with the Triscount:

• Stoy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoy79 polycounter lvl 3

Looks good, so far, although I second that about the edges. Some parts are a bit too square-ish where they shouldn't (normally) - I refer mainly to the rear sight - it's stamped, so, the bottom is not as flat as you've made it. Usually the cover isn't flat either, unless you're going for a custom one or something.

The trigger/hammer/auto sear pin heads look a bit too small (can't differentiate them from the rail and rear trunnion rivets), and there's no trace of these pins on the other side (unless you're planning to add these in the normal map).

One thing you should really change is the trigger and trigger guard. The trigger is quite definitely from an AEG replica. The real one is different and much simpler than that:

And a few very good reference sources for the AKS74U (you're actually modeling a customized AKS74U, not an AK74):

http://www.avtomats-in-action.com/pro18.html

http://www.avtomats-in-action.com/pro22.html

• ComradeDispenser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ComradeDispenser polycounter lvl 3
    Looks great in Keyshot, wouldn't look that great in a game. I agree with maxivz, you really need to soften those edges up so that they show in the lowpoly when normal map is applied.
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks Stoy79 and Comradedispenser!
    At the moment im baking. Before i bake i try to soften the edges a bit more.

I used a modified Airsoft. Its not the standart 74 so there are some parts which are different. It´s more a Tactical Version maybe used by the Speznas.
    Its an E&L AK74 Mod A:

I didn´t made the 3 Extrudes on the TopCover because i dont like them ^^
    The Magazine is a Tapco AK 74 Mag:

Baking Process:

• Stoy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoy79 polycounter lvl 3

Depends on what you are aiming for - are you modeling an actual weapon or an airsoft replica?

If it's the latter, then it's correct. If it's supposed to be a real weapon, then some details are wrong (mainly the trigger). Also, even the reference, apart from the custom pistol grip and railed handguards (and mag you're using) is still a standard AKS74U. I wasn't referring to these custom parts, but to the ones that are more or less standard for the weapon that is used as a base.

• Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Actually i tought it was a Replica of a real weapon. Maybe there is a real steal Mod. A 74? :)
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks Shini! ^^
    Sure, here you go:

Started with a Plane and then Bend.

Gazu

• Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    Gazu said:
    Started with a Plane and then Bend.

Gazu

Bend modifier - The way of life
  • ComradeDispenser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking real nice. Speaking about Tapco accessories, I think we know what our friend Ivan Chesnokov has to say about em... looking forward to the textures
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks! Hey who is Ivan Chesnokov? ^^
  • Stoy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoy79 polycounter lvl 3
    Gazu said:
    Actually i tought it was a Replica of a real weapon. Maybe there is a real steal Mod. A 74? :)
    It's just the kind of tacticool modifications used by private contractors and US civilians. It's a Soviet/Russian AKS74UN with custom handguards and pistol grip. There are literally hundreds of these gadgets on the US market to pimp your AK... :)

Replicas, be it AEG or GBB(R), have many differences compared to their "Real Steel" counterparts. The trigger you have modeled, for example, is purely AEG.

For clarification, here's an AEG trigger:

... And here's how the "Real Steel" trigger looks like:

It may not be noticeable in 3rd person from afar or in first person, but it quite clearly identifies your model as AEG, when you take a closer look...
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Wow thank you for this informations.
    I tought this Trigger is made from the Real Steal Version ^^
    Its tricky because i tought a modified AK has modified parts!

Anyways, because all parts around the trigger fitting together, i leave it like it is now.
    I have learned that there are still some differences between Real Steal´s and Airsoft´s! Even if they are small :)

Thanks!

@DonPowell: Yeah, he makes life a little bit easier :smile: 

• Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Finaly, Bake Done and i like it :)
    What i dont like is that i went up to high with the polycount. I call it midpoly, i really cant call it lowpoly ^^

Next Step: Texturing

• ComradeDispenser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how high is the polycount then? i've read somewhere that the triangle count doesn't really affect the fps that much (guy pretty much forced all of the models in crysis 2 in lod 0, increased visible polycount by ~50%, about 2-3 fps loss), it's more in the textures. like, a 4K texture with a 10k tri model demands way more resources than a 2K texture with a 30k tri model, particularly because the textures take up a whole bunch of ram space (5.33 MB for 2K depending, varies depending on the compression). you shouldn't really be concerned all that much about the tricount, make sure that the uvs are optimized well and you can push the texel density as high as possible in parts where it matters. best of luck in texturing!