interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AnyaElvidge interpolator
Hey guys, just spent 3 weeks concepting and modelling this;

13.jpg?format=2500w
6.jpg?format=2500w
4.jpg?format=2500w

[SKETCHFAB]6eb13cdb163f45de8e661604825a6c73[/SKETCHFAB]

What do you think? I'd love some crit, since I get a week (in a few weeks) to go back to my projects and do some work. I'll have a week to perfect 3 projects, so may not have time to go back to this one but I'd love to know your opinions anyway. Here is a paintover I did with some ideas I had to change it;

overpaint.jpg?w=580&h=385

And here is how I came up with the idea on my blog;
https://anyadmuga.wordpress.com/category/year-3-blog-submissions/

Thanks for looking!

Replies

• Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    It's nice, but I suggest taking a course in roofing to know how a tiled roof is made ^^. Currently those tiles are useless.

The texturing could use another pass, it actually looks like a quick paintover. Don't hesitate to add some moss/grass at the base of the walls maybe ? Everything looks a bit too clean.

And the threes look weird to me, I'd change the whole design. Maybe try some more natural shape like this :

Brianna_Leahy_SpireTree_model.jpg
  • ant1fact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant1fact polycounter lvl 9
    Hello nice little blacksmith shop you've got going:) I feel at the moment you have too many cold colours. I'd probably change the colour of the roof to set the building apart from the environment. I'd also crank up the emissive on those embers just like in your concept to emit a nice warm inviting glow:)
  • Stavaas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    Looking good so far! My only thing other than what has already been pointed out, is that the tile floor look very out of place. They look very slippery and fragile, which is something a blacksmith would avoid I imagine.
  • mwgrafx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mwgrafx polycounter lvl 17
    I like where you going with concept! I agree with the floor. I dont quite see a black smith walking on a slippery clean floor either. Looks good keep up the good work.
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    The new Polycount is confusing me!

Sorry for forgetting to reply everyone. Shame on me. I'm busy with a new uni project. :)

Your advice is really helpful, thanks so much. Will change the floor if I can find time to do so, and jig about the colours too. I might do a few more paintovers.

@TEXELION not sure I'll be doing a roof tiling course any time soon, but definitely agree with dirtying it up a bit. :P
  • Sketchfab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sketchfab polycounter lvl 4
    @AnyaElvidge: The recent Polycount update broke our integration here, but it should be fixed soon. We'll provide updates here:
    http://polycount.com/discussion/160887/sketchfab-integration-on-polycount-is-broken#latest
    ^bart
  • zetheros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zetheros interpolator
    Nice! I have to admit though, the colors and curtains, while well made, make it feel more like a cross between a temple in the jungle and a mage's respite, rather than a blacksmith's workshop :wink:

If you want to be accurate (but even WoW gets this wrong, and I'm not even going to get into Skyrim crafting...); There are many kinds of smiths, and games and hollywood almost always get it wrong 100% of the time. Blacksmiths work mostly with iron, farming tools, horseshoes, candleholders, nails, household items, etc. Then there are specialized metalworkers; swordsmiths and armoursmiths, silversmiths, etc..
    If you have a sword that needs to be fixed or a dent in your armour... never go to a blacksmith. They'll mess your stuff up so bad.