Home Technical Talk

Issues with retopo in maya / extreme lag

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
illbleed polycounter lvl 6
what do you guys recommend upgrading if your computer is lagging when using quad draw for retopo on a 700,000 poly model in maya.

as soon as i start making points now it takes around 15-20 seconds for it to draw the polygon.
my ram is sitting at 20% and cpu at 14% with my model open. So i'm not exactly sure what the issue is.

here are my specs.. hoping someone can let me know if theres something that i should upgrade..
i JUST upgraded my ram this morning and that helped somewhat.

CPU : AMD FX-8320

Motherboard: M5A97 LE R2.0

RAM : DDR3 16gb

Video card: Radeon r9 290x 4GB

Replies

• Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Software...I recommend changing to something other than Maya since it has to be one of the slowest performing software packages out there.

Have you tried deleting the history of your object or tried enabling viewport 2.0?
    700,000 poly's shouldn't be enough to slow it down but I find Maya will handle multiple lower count objects better sometimes, so try cutting it in two if those other suggestions didn't work.
  • illbleed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples wrote: »
    Software...I recommend changing to something other than Maya since it has to be one of the slowest performing software packages out there.

Have you tried deleting the history of your object or tried enabling viewport 2.0?
    700,000 poly's shouldn't be enough to slow it down but I find Maya will handle multiple lower count objects better sometimes, so try cutting it in two if those other suggestions didn't work.

Hi,

I tried both suggestions and neither of them worked :/. I was considering changing 3d packages. I just don't know which and the reason why i cant consider changing it mid project is because its for class and its due somewhat soon.

Edit: Okay, deleting history on the retopo model worked. I thought you meant on the live object. Thank you! Still considering changing packages, but i'm not sure which between blender and modo what features really stand out the most.
  • jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket polycounter lvl 18
    Make sure transparency sorting isn't set to depth peeling. You could also try disabling AA and other viewport 2.0 settings. I have no problems running 1m+ polys in maya with my old geforce 460.
  • illbleed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket wrote: »
    Make sure transparency sorting isn't set to depth peeling. You could also try disabling AA and other viewport 2.0 settings. I have no problems running 1m+ polys in maya with my old geforce 460.

for some odd reason i can't open anything bigger than what i have now or else maya will crash. I can open 4 mil in zbrush, and 2 mil in 3dcoat.. but my maya will not allow me to open anything higher than a million.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Why not use 3d coat for retopology if you already have it, it's actually my preferred software for that.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    I don't have the fastest computer I would like, it lags a little I loaded a 6 million mesh into Maya and used maya retopology tools.

Clean your system, config files etc, believe me, a stable system can do alot.
  • illbleed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have the fastest computer I would like, it lags a little I loaded a 6 million mesh into Maya and used maya retopology tools.

Clean your system, config files etc, believe me, a stable system can do alot.

Yeah i'm starting to think i may have to clean up my system or something at this point. 3d coat actually crashes loading the model as well. It's working somewhat in maya, but it's still lagging around 3-4 seconds. Even after deleting history. I'll take your advice and see about cleaning my system.
  • illbleed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples wrote: »
    Why not use 3d coat for retopology if you already have it, it's actually my preferred software for that.

I tried in 3dcoat as well. The odd thing is i've tried opening the files at school, and i had the same issue with maya crashing. Maybe its an exporting issue with zbrush to obj? I mean, it's working okay, now, just really really slow.
  • Nox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
    Try changing Viewport 2.0 to DirectX mode.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DirectX is not designed to fix his preview problems, he needs to clean his system, as it can handle it at average.

Maya Retopology tools are good, combined with Mudbox, are enough. I have used almost all retopology tools except 3D Coat & ZBrush and he can do mostly what he needs in Maya.
  • Ollarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ollarin polycounter lvl 7
    Something you can try is exporting your reference mesh out as a GPU cache first (via the pipline cache menu). And import it back as a GPU cache (same menu). Then try retopo'ing.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great tip Ollarin, thanks!

Another is to disable construction history while doing quad draw; you don't need it anyway.

@CreativeSheep, it can still be a video issue. I had to pull an antique out for a couple of weeks while waiting on a replacement to deliver at the start of the year. I had similar delay problems while on that card, along with crazy artifacts. (but yeah, sounds like things are a bit messy up in there)
  • illbleed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone, thanks for the thought out replies. I've tried cleaning my system using 3 different softwares as well as opening the case and cleaning my hardware. None of the seemed to help. I also tried updating my maya service packs because i didnt realize i was missing all 4.
  • illbleed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ollarin wrote: »
    Something you can try is exporting your reference mesh out as a GPU cache first (via the pipline cache menu). And import it back as a GPU cache (same menu). Then try retopo'ing.

Interesting, i'll give that a shot. I switched to 3dcoat for retopo as of now until i've fixed the issue. Thus far though 3dcoat seems to work perfectly fine.

@throttlekitty I'll give that a try as well thanks a lot!
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    I would advise against any "Delete All by Type" as that clears the selected attributes on everything in the scene. It may or may not be what you want. To be safe, select the objects you want and do Delete by Type without the All.
  • Nox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
    DirectX is not designed to fix his preview problems, he needs to clean his system, as it can handle it at average.

For me it works, in OpenGL mode QuadDraw is extremely laggy, close to unusable but in DirectX it works great.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming from Softimage, Maya has technique method of usability, while the now dead Softimage had more a method whereas you would use the operator stack and ICE, prior to ICE, the operator stack and, none else morphs or in Maya blend shapes :)
  • trustneed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trustneed polycounter lvl 8
    I know it's a old post, but I found a solution for that problem. To fix lagging while using quad draw all you need is export high poly mesh as GPU cache. Cache > GPU Cache > Export. And that import it back - Cache > GPU Cache > Import.

After that just use imported mesh as usual. Lag should be gone.
  • Nayf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nayf null
    *Awnser* A couple years late but its still a problem. I read this and most of you don't know what exactly it is. If you go onto - Windows - Hypergraph Hierarchy - and then you need to delete the stray Nodes (green lines), then make a new phong. once done you're all set to quad draw in speed. Happy days. 
  • illbleed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha thanks for all the answers :) i ended up moving this project onto 3d coat and never looked back to maya quad draw since.