Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Russian PKM (Light Machine Gun)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
AlexRodriguez polycounter lvl 6
Began a side-project a few months ago, I decided on a PKM from the complexity of the model & the material diversity compared to a modern weapon. I have put in around 13 days of work thus far, and going for a very accurate representation of the real life PKM. This project will be similar to my AR15 where I model each part separately and combine it together.

I do hope to return back to my KA-52 once I finish up my current vehicles at work.

JeajiOAjpg
Reference
Current Progress

Each component is individually modeled in detail; if anyone want individual render of each component to judge the accuracy that will be helpful

Replies

• AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little Update with some individual shot of couple of the parts; more for practice/sharpen my eyes to pull every little detail from a reference. It is also very beneficial for my more complex helicopter Rotor when accuracy is my main concern.
    fe1680f6bd528e243bcef6dfc7f86b7e.png
    4c9cdc6846608d8bf52840f8a5136d4a.png
    4ceef7fdcf1b274bbc2faa31fc11cef8.png
    ecdeb3fa72af5bc7ddd7f8f82af600b3.png
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more progress of the PKM on Day 16 now, finalized these parts; moving onto the Front Trunnion as I come closer towards finnishing

2f75d7febadd27351044cb7b11604a44.png
    Bolt Carrier/Bolt
    a84ea7f28c1159b9c0e0f7cd6a20826c.png
    Feed Tray
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a little while with doing some work stuff, here are some more completed parts. Just have the Front Trunnion and the inside of the Upper Receiver to do. Then I can do the belt feed system.
    On Day 20, hope to wrap it up in 25 days with 90% to 95% accuracy

• BetaRazer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BetaRazer polycounter lvl 6
    Your process is looking promising so far. What is your end goal here? Do you plan on taking this further with PBR materials? Forgive me for asking these questions, but I'm curious to see how this will turn out. I've produced a similar MG myself which you can find on my ArtStation page.

My only suggestion is this; seperate out the PKM into 2 meshes. One for the PKM itself; the second for the ammo can and it's ammunition. Main reason for this is you can maximize your UV shells and texture resolutions better.
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do weapon for work so I know the process; ill be little more impractical in terms of polycount saving and it being truly a game ready as I do want to showcase the weapon being opened . Since the PKM is one of the few guns where you can see all the interior during the reload process ill be keeping even the inside geo in the Low Poly

The outside frame/parts will be optimized as much as I can but I wont combine the mesh unless it make sense. As for the modeling it was mostly suppose to be a easy project, but it started becoming to easy so I started actually making it 1 to 1. Especially the inside as I wanted to avoid just following a side view as anyone can model anything just using a side view for the entire model. So some part are image rest is all made by eye
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    Off to a solid start Alex. Nice clean blockin Looking forward to seeing more. 
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wrapped up the High Poly, individual shot of the parts at my portfolio site