Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unreal Tournament - TitanPass

kernersvillan
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, just wanted to post some of my art I did for CTF-TitanPass. All of my textures were made using the Zbrush matcap method, with a photo overlay here and there. This was definitely a learning process, and there are definitely more things I need to learn and improve on, but its a really fun and powerful workflow.

I'll see if I can talk Rick into posting some renders of the rocks and statues he did for the map as well. They are pretty much the sickest rocks I've seen ;)

22144594116_4d1e0c689e_o.jpg

21549696693_6465e11ed7_o.jpg

21549696013_01487223ed_o.jpg

22180995831_b063421378_o.jpg

21982952468_15d9882fbe_o.jpg

21547960844_6a778f0091_o.jpg

21549691093_b45d9a6ecc_o.jpg

21982646090_cda5ab988e_o.jpg

21983874029_28a395d49d_o.jpg

22144591486_9a7c496d8c_o.jpg

22170739935_e17e91808c_o.jpg

21982946958_ef045b73b0_o.jpg

22158109932_23b404a8bd_o.jpg

21547957874_033a4b94cc_o.jpg

21983870009_24088e4639_o.jpg

There are a few other shots on my artstation. Thanks for looking! :)

Replies

• kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Rob Macko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rob Macko polycounter lvl 6
    Nice work Josh :)
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Oh man this is purdy! Great work Josh :)
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    These are some great material sculpts, I'd love to see them in engine.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha! Love the banners. The wood floor is super chunky delicious too ... nice!
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Totally love the sculpts, it would be great to see them in engine as makkon said.
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    Nice work! I'd be interested in seeing these textures in game.
  • MNBerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice stuff dude! I love the detail you put into all the sculpts! And those brick patterns are beautiful. May I ask what kind of workflow you use for the bricks?
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Dang, interested in what your workflow is for those albedo maps.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These are great! Like everybody else said though...why not show the materials?

Your sculpts are really fun to look at. I really like how loose the strokes are on the bricks. I thought they might have even been a little too loose for a realistic material (which I'm assuming you are going for), but with whatever you are doing in addition to them in the normal maps don't look too bad at all.

Some of the normal maps look a little odd too. Are you using the defualt zbrush matcap? The super bright greens and reds are a trait with using that matcap. I've found the results to be pretty inaccurate. If this is the case, may I suggest giving the "al_normal" matcap from the zbrush matcap library a try? Link
    Its under the Effects category.

I would also be interested in knowing how you did the albedo maps. Results are really great!
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Posting some in game shots would be awesome. I've played the map but being unreal tournament you don't get to stand around and look at stuff often.

I too would be really interested in a workflow breakdown for your texturing. The results are really phenomenal.
  • Warhawk,
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warhawk, polycounter lvl 11
    Great work man. I love the details on those bricks. I was just playing map a bit. It looks sick. Is there any chance we can see some of the prefabs that were used to make the map.

I wasn't aware the textures and prefabs were community made. Looking forward to see more, especially those sick rocks :)
  • oxygencube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxygencube polycounter lvl 8
    Loving these sculpted textures!!! Great work man!
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    great stuff dude, you killed it :)
  • kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rob Macko: thanks Rob :)

polycrunch: thanks!

Makkon, maxivz, killnpc: Thanks guys. Anyone has access to these right now in the UT editor from our github account. I believe the assets will be released to the main public editor within the next few weeks. Ill set em up in engine and take some screens later today ;)

WarrenM: Hey dude, thanks! I figure all the old school UT guys will appreciate those :) Hope youre doing well man

MNBerry: Thanks dude. Eh, nothing too special. Just made between 8-10 sculpted bricks on all sides and arrange them in different patterns in Zbrush. There was no plan on what kind, or how many we needed, so I just tried to come up with a few varying styles. Although for the tiling wall stones, I tried to make similar variations for vertex painting purposes.

Fuiosg: It is the same method that Brad Smith from Naughty Dog uses in his youtube videos. Basically using Zbrush to ZApplink different matcaps to Photoshop and overlay them all until you get something you like. Trying not to use, or very sparingly use, photo sourced textures. I believe Boyo did a written tutorial on this one as well. If you have any more questions, I could try to do a writeup if I get time ;)

gsokol: Thanks a lot dude :) Ill do some material screengrabs later today! Since everyone has access to this stuff, I figured Id show my sculpt and texture. With UT there is realism as well as fantastical, so pretty much anything can fit in here. Rick and I definitely aim for the more realistic side though! AH yeah, I use al_normalmap. There are a few that definitely look like they are the shitty default one, but they are all al_normalmap. I just had to tone down the normals in the shader. Im not even sure if those got used or not, hehe.

Jack M.: Yeah its definitely hard to look around, unless you put it on minimal bots with easy AI ;) Check out Brad SMiths youtube videos, or Boyos writeup. If you have any additional questions, Ill definitely answer or try to do a small writeup.

Warhawk,: THanks man! Im going to make a test map with all the assets I made. Nothing from that map is community made. I made all of the meshes except for the rocks and statues, who were made by Rick Kohler, and the ground which was made by Anton Migulko

oxygencube, xChris: thanks guys!
  • pixelpatron
  • JEmerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JEmerson polycounter lvl 7
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    @kernersvillan - Thanks for pointing us in the right direction.

In case anyone has a hard time finding the tutorial he's referring to here it is. [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNgs2DcAsF4[/ame]
  • kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron: love that gif hehe

Sigmafie: thanks!

Here are a few in engine screens of some of those materials. There are a couple that never actually got textured, which I need to fix!

21608477174_05aca17e9f_o.jpg

21598242664_ce20785a46_o.jpg

22194900846_d1ccb3774b_o.jpg

22033241218_37f7fc9c0b_o.jpg

21600198293_966c711ee1_o.jpg
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    These look so good. I took a look at everything in the actual map too, incredible work. These work beautifully with vertex paints. Every material worked wonderfully with one another. I feel like the only thing the environment is missing at this point is some more vegetation.

Also kudos to your partner, some of the best video game rocks I've ever seen. You got to get him to post in here!
  • kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Makkon. I cant speak to the final look of the map, as that was dictated by others, but I definitely agree with the vegetation crit. I had just started playing around with making game ready ivy from ivy generator plugin for 3ds Max. I got some decent results, but it was already late in the process after the map had already been handed over to gameplay. Here is a screen from one of my test maps.

22292090331_461df3c674_o.jpg

I got some pretty decent results, that Im going to try to incorporate more in the next map we work on.

Also, Rick and I did a short video which shows some work in progress of the map back from the beginning of August, which also has some cool shots of the rocks in there as well. I agree they're really badass, I just have to convince him to post some renders hehe.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM2zJpPiYiw[/ame]