Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modern Revolver

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
Hi Polycount!
I started making a revolver in Maya, I thought I might get some feedback before I do the low poly and go in texturing. It is somewhat based on the Taurus 44 but I have changed quite a bit and incorporated elements from other revolvers as well.

6AA1K24.png

heVswHR.png

fVomKyU.png

Replies

• Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, here are some updates, for some reason this project has went along really slow, but practice makes perfect I suppose. This is the basic coloring for the revolver, to train myself in substance painter i have decided that I will create a few different versions of skins for it, So I thought I might start of easy and start of with the base. I'll post again when I have a new version to show!
    q7xEXy5.jpg

U1UjDRL.jpg

IR6PuEK.jpg

c8DvJJG.png
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I realized right after the last update that the rubber looked of so I changed it, I also added the scratch on the barrel from the sprint thingy thingy that locks it in place.

bTYSOPW.jpg
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tarnished version

Wohumz6.jpg
  • Rawbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rawbert polycounter lvl 5
    Not a fan of the tarnished version.
    It feels too random and makes the gun look noisy
  • rayco76
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks cool man! quixel perhaps?
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, I might adjust it a bit but I should add that the tarnished version is not only supposed to just look worn, it's supposed to look like the gun was left outside for like a month and not serviceable.
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    I think the tarnished versions tarnish is a little overkill. Scale it way back, reduce normal intensity, and place grime in strategic areas to make the cleaner areas pop.
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I'll adjust it a bit but I don't think I'll tone it back, I think you are trying to go for a more worn look while that is not what I am trying to create.
    I will make a version that is worn though but this is not it.
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is what it looks like now, I think I'll leave it like this.

i1FJATS.jpg
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The tarnish isn't working. It feels like you slapped a rust material on it. Maybe filter it against the AO or something? Put rust and dirt into the cracks and crevices primarily?
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    The tarnish isn't working. It feels like you slapped a rust material on it. Maybe filter it against the AO or something? Put rust and dirt into the cracks and crevices primarily?

I see what you are saying, I did use a generator to make it conform to the cavities but I suppose the contrast wasn't clear enough. I tried to adjust it now so that the rust clumps together more, I also manually painted in rust in some cavities. How do you think it looks now?

iCdzuEw.jpg
  • clinington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington polycounter lvl 10
    Still looks a bit random to me. I think it looked better without, or if you want to keep it you could try to recreate this amount of rust and dirt etc:

http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/tincanbandit/media/Gun%20bluing/chriss22_zpsba3d9c4a-1.jpg.html

Just a suggestion, looks really nice otherwise! :D
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington wrote: »
    Still looks a bit random to me. I think it looked better without, or if you want to keep it you could try to recreate this amount of rust and dirt etc:

http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/tincanbandit/media/Gun%20bluing/chriss22_zpsba3d9c4a-1.jpg.html

Just a suggestion, looks really nice otherwise! :D

I'll see what I can do, the example you provided neither has the same finish nor mistreatment I'm going for though it made me realize that the rust maybe shouldn't have as much bump as it currently has. I'm still keeping the clean finish, I am just creating a few different "skins" to practice substance painter.
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a pretty good example of what i'm going for:

P1010069.jpg
  • DarkStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why would you want to go with that kind of version, since it would be unusable or really dangerous in real life. IMO, There's nothing appealing in a rusted gun.
  • Hupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hupie polycounter lvl 12
    It may be a bit late but I'm wondering, why did you make the edges on your highpoly so sharp? Softer edges might be less realistic but makes for a better look ingame.

See also:

http://wiki.polycount.com/w/images/8/85/Normal_edge_thickness.jpg
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarkStar wrote: »
    why would you want to go with that kind of version, since it would be unusable or really dangerous in real life. IMO, There's nothing appealing in a rusted gun.

It seems like I have explained this quite enough now. I am just training on using substance painter so I am making different versions of skins for the gun, this is just one of them. This particular skin might be used as props in a detective game where you find clues, "A rusty revolver lies in the grass, examine?" for instance.
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hupie wrote: »
    It may be a bit late but I'm wondering, why did you make the edges on your highpoly so sharp? Softer edges might be less realistic but makes for a better look ingame.

See also:

http://wiki.polycount.com/w/images/8/85/Normal_edge_thickness.jpg

I'll keep that in mind, I am not super experienced at making hard surface models but that is a good tip. Is there any good way to create the creases that you could recommend? For this project I used the crease tool in Maya.
  • DarkStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator wrote: »
    It seems like I have explained this quite enough now. I am just training on using substance painter so I am making different versions of skins for the gun, this is just one of them. This particular skin might be used as props in a detective game where you find clues, "A rusty revolver lies in the grass, examine?" for instance.

Ok. dont get so defensive, it's only my point of view...But i would not make it that way anyway. :poly124:
  • clinington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington polycounter lvl 10
    I'll see what I can do, the example you provided neither has the same finish nor mistreatment I'm going for though it made me realize that the rust maybe shouldn't have as much bump as it currently has. I'm still keeping the clean finish, I am just creating a few different "skins" to practice substance painter.

Sure, I just liked the rust in that image. Probably wasn't the best example! Good luck :D
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another skin, tell me what you think! I'm not really happy with it yet but I think it will come around with some further polish.

oqVTFcw.jpg

45DsfJ4.jpg

tkxR668.jpg
  • Hupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hupie polycounter lvl 12
    I'll keep that in mind, I am not super experienced at making hard surface models but that is a good tip. Is there any good way to create the creases that you could recommend? For this project I used the crease tool in Maya.

Well, generally they are made with adding support loops to you highpoly model and use sub-division smoothing (press the 2 or 3 key for that to see a preview in maya i believe). If you are not used to sub-d modelling, be ready to spend some time researching this topic. The how do you model them shapes thread has quite some information too:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56014
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    I'm not really feeling that handle at all... it looks very stubbed and doesn't sell the silhouette of your gun well at all, could you perhaps give it a corner towards the front side of the handle like how most magnums/revolvers have?
    I won't lie.. it's gonna be a bit of a pain in the neck to fix it now since you've already baked things but people have mentioned very good advice on issues about how your high poly's edges are a bit too tight in some areas... I'd definitely revisit back to the high poly... however I must say the new direction on the texturing definitely looks better than the old rusted direction so if you decide to revisit the high poly (I highly suggest it... just my opinion though) you'll know how to re-approach the texturing stage later on :)

best of luck! keep going :)
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not really feeling that handle at all... it looks very stubbed and doesn't sell the silhouette of your gun well at all, could you perhaps give it a corner towards the front side of the handle like how most magnums/revolvers have?
    I won't lie.. it's gonna be a bit of a pain in the neck to fix it now since you've already baked things but people have mentioned very good advice on issues about how your high poly's edges are a bit too tight in some areas... I'd definitely revisit back to the high poly... however I must say the new direction on the texturing definitely looks better than the old rusted direction so if you decide to revisit the high poly (I highly suggest it... just my opinion though) you'll know how to re-approach the texturing stage later on :)

Thanks for the feedback, now that you say it, yes, the handle looks a bit too round all over. I might be able to nudge the handle a bit, without any noticeable stretching in the UVs, but remaking the high poly is a bit too much work at this point, this project is already starting to drag quite a bit. But I will for sure remember what mistakes I made with this gun and try to avoid them the next time around. I'll update soon on how adjusting the handle turns out! :)
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hupie wrote: »
    Well, generally they are made with adding support loops to you highpoly model and use sub-division smoothing (press the 2 or 3 key for that to see a preview in maya i believe). If you are not used to sub-d modelling, be ready to spend some time researching this topic. The how do you model them shapes thread has quite some information too:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56014

I'll take a look at that thread, I have used support loops before though I find it pretty awkward to work with but that's probably down to my lack of experience. Part of the reason that I wanted to make this thing was to try out using the crease tool in Maya but it seems it didn't work as well as I had hoped.
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Is this better?

ov62PJ1.jpg
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a final render of this skin, I may or may not adjust it some more. It depends on if you point something out that I should change. Anyway. I'll start making the worn metal version now, After that I think I am done with this project.

JpPSV7p.jpg
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is how the worn version looks now:

hLDcD33.jpg

I base the damages on this picture:

JM39nT7.jpg
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a little update, just added some ware and tried to differentiate the paint part from the metal.

nkIpQC0.jpg