Home Technical Talk

Xnormal baking issue

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
anathen polycounter lvl 8
Hello everyone,

I'm currently baking my maps from my zbrush highpoly to my maya low poly in Xnormal.
The problem is, as you can see on the image, the texture are not in the right place, some on the edges are "wavy" and some texture are completely offset.

c4vHows.jpg
ZsBHp02.jpg

I tried most of the settings that were recommended for xnormal but it doesn't seem to have much impact.I have a better result when ray distance is set to 0 but beside that nothing works.

I'm not sure if there is a problem with my polypaint , uvs or xnormals settings..
Any advices would really help!
here's my uvs as well.

pyoRU8D.jpg

Thanks in advance

Replies

• iFraude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iFraude polycounter lvl 10
    Hello @anathen.

Your problem may be caused by one of two things.
    First, your high and low poly may not be overlapping properly, hence your offsetting texture projection. You can check this by clicking the 3D view button on xnormal once you've set up the high and low poly.

Second, did you make a cage for your prop? I guess by what I see on the texture map that your mesh has sharp angles, in that case, I advise you to go back to your UVs, split them where is a hard angle (more than 75°) that will create more vertex normals at the point where it is split, giving a better bake and avoiding black edges (but you still need a cage for that :p).

So, in my opinion you should proceed as follows : check your models, if it works, yay! If it doesn't go to making a cage, and then if it works, check if you got black marks on the sharp angles. If so, split your UVs :)

Also, watch this video if you never had the chance : [ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=kGszEIT4Kww[/ame]

Cheers!
  • anathen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for your answer!
    I had no idea you could visualize the meshes in 3D in Xnormal! I guess I should watch that video first :p

Indeed it's a hard surface mesh and I'm not really used to those :p
    I'll follow your advice then!
  • iFraude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iFraude polycounter lvl 10
    No problem man, always glad to help! I hope these tricks will work just fine on your model.

Happy modeling!
  • anathen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It did help a lot!
    The 2 meshes were not overlapping properly :p I must have moved the low poly by mistake..
    It looks much better now!

Thanks again!