Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ben's Anatomy

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
Latest Sculpt:
10-14-15_torso_keyshot.png

So I've wanted to start a thread like this for a while now.

I'm learning anatomy.

*GASP*

In this thread, I hope that over time, I will show progress of my knowledge of anatomy.

To get to my goal, however, I must go through "the suck" where my heads look a bit like potatoes, and my anatomy poses look like a 3 year old could do better.

But the reason I'm posting here, is so that I can get your feedback! Again, the whole goal of this thread is to become sufficient at producing accurate and realistic anatomy. So shoot me with your critiques, your suggestions, and any tid-bits of advice you care to share with me.

Each time I post a new sculpt or sketch, I plan on including the time it took, the references I used, and (obviously) an image of the study. Oh, and the date!

To begin, I'm going to share with you my general progress over the years through basic observation of people.

Get ready to cringe.

So we start off in late 2011 where I decided I'd give making a character a go, after being inspired by the Uncharted series.
fullbody_1.jpg
Then we go through a series of busts in chronological order.
bust_4.jpg
w_bust_2.jpg
bust_6.jpg
scrotum-man^^
w_bust_3.jpg
teeth_2013.jpg
bust_3.jpg
w_bust_1.jpg
bust_9-10-15.jpg

Now I've filtered out a bunch of other busts that I just don't think provide any more insight into where I was previously with anatomy.
Now we get into 2015:
bust_cillianmurphy.jpg
bust_8-28-15.jpg
faceplanes_8-24-15.jpg
eyelipstudy_5-16-15.jpg
fist_5.18.jpg
torso_10.7.15.jpg
(I fully understand a lot of the anatomy above is inaccurate, especially the lumpy back. Hips are too thin. Arms are blocky and gross. Shouldn't have sculpted the serratus muscles. Clavicle is a mess. Be my guest if you'd like to critique this in a way that would help me improve it!)

Alright those are all my previous attempts. Some of them I times myself on (like the hand, which I gave myself an hour). I understand an hour for a hand is quite long--especially THAT hand. But that's the whole purpose of this thread, to improve speed, knowledge, and understanding of anatomy of all sorts!

Keep in mind as well, almost no references were used for most of these sculpts. I know I should've used reference. So that's why I'm not flying blind anymore, that's a thing I'm changing right now. From here on out, I'll include a sheet of all my references used during the sculpt (so if others want to give it a go as well, I could provide a bit of convenience for them).

I look forward to the progress and new sculpts to come.
Let me know if you have any questions!
-Ben "SNIPA" Henry

Replies

• BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forward to today! Where I sculpted this guy...
    Oct_9_2015.jpg
    I feel like the proportions on this general male bust are the "best" I've been able to sculpt.
    I approached this bust by starting with a sphere and going to very low-res dynamesh after pulling out the jaw/neck.

This is my only ref that I was using: 150722211708%20%281%29.jpg

Probably should have used more. But today's study was focused on proportions only.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    You know what, man, you're too hard on yourself. From what you'd written here and in the other thread, I was expecting a poor showing (be careful not to undersell yourself in the future)! :)

This is looking good (and todays sculpt; great). I've subscribed and looking forward to seeing more updates and progress, you seem to have the right ideas already. Keep it up!
  • dwgagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dwgagner polycounter lvl 7
    Nice improvement, keep it up.

I did a quick and rough once over on your anatomy, basically muscle placement and form / proportion issues. Check out anatomytools.com, I recommend the male ecorche though I ended up getting the female as well. It has been invaluable and one of the best purchases I have ever made. If you're serious about character art it's worth it.

If your strapped for cash in the meantime I also recommend rafael grasetti's sculpting tutorial on gumroad. He includes a digital ecorche that's pretty spot on.

anatomy_feedback.gif
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've gone back to my torso sculpt to fix a few things.
    10-14-15_torso_keyshot.png
    10-14-15_torso_zbrush.png
    This is the reference sheet I used:
    10-14-15_torso_refsheet.png
    The guys over at Anatomy360.info have some absolutely fantastic full body scan references.
    Let me know how I can improve!
  • dwgagner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dwgagner polycounter lvl 7
    Definitely improving, I think his pelvis area could use some work, in your scanned reference keep in mind that it appears as though he was flexing his gluteus to hold up all of his mass since that guy is pretty jacked, if you were sculpting a base mesh you'd want it to feel more relaxed or it would look weird when it animates or if you try to pose it in any other position than it is sculpted in.

As a sculpt to pose study however it's totally fine to do that. I think the pectorals could be lifted and angled more like my drawover (and your reference) from the side view.

Also I'd like to say that I think it's great that you've stayed at a fairly low sub division, a mistake a lot of newer sculptors make is going too high too fast, so good on you man, keep doing that. Really get in there and start analyzing those different regions, smoothing things out and don't be afraid to totally resculpt areas if you find something isn't looking right, never get so attached to something that you're not willing to redo it.

Anyway keep at it, start a new one, rinse repeat, each one will be better than the last.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's great feedback dwgagner! Thank you--