Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Realistic Scifi Pistol

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
JasonNorman polycounter lvl 6
Hello everyone! First time posting on polycount. I have been working on a scifi pistol for one of my college classes and wanted to make a progress thread.
Any feedback is more than welcome!

This is the Concept Im working off of
ZhUe75X.png

Going to make a second pass at the high poly to fix some of the pinching and add detail to a few areas.
Here is what I have so far:

JNorman-Enforcer-WIP013.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

Replies

• Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    the handle doesnt look quite long enough for a hand, might want to nudge up the trigger, or make the handle longer.
  • JasonNorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Tectonic! I'll address that and see if I can make it feel more accurate.

I've also been going through the pieces mentioned in my instructor's feedback last week and adding detail and fixing certain areas.
    So far what I've added:
    Cuts in the large steel piece in the back of the gun
    Screw cut in for the back rubber area
    Enlarged the lense on the top
    Extended the detail on the body and added an extra screw
    Game the button near the trigger some extra form
    Separated the barrel from the frame and gave it some extra cuts
    Detail to he magazine

JNorman-Enforcer-WIP014.jpg

JNorman-Enforcer-WIP015.jpg

JNorman-Enforcer-WIP016.jpg

JNorman-Enforcer-WIP017.jpg
  • JasonNorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hey Everyone! Little more progress here on the pistol. I remodeled the front cover because I was getting some smoothing issues and added a detail to the bottom of the grip. Going to start moving onto the lowpoly from here. Let me know if you have any feedback!

1.jpg
    4.jpg
    7.jpg
  • Hamakua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hamakua polycounter lvl 4
    Great work so far.

There were a few things that caught my eye so I made a quick mock-up to point them out.

CzjOEtC.jpg

1. The bright yellow section (profile) should protrude and not be inset. It reads as the part of the outer casing that protrudes the most, (barely). The dark carbon fiber/patterned plastic bordering it should actually be inset by comparison, but only by a little.

2. The casing has more of a plane change than your model seems to be conveying. The lowest section to the middle section should have a more distinct plane change while the middle to upper section is more gradual (and the upper section essentially turns into a continuous curve over to the other side).

3. Dark red section is actually deeply inset into the pistol housing to the point where the inner part (blue glowing energy thing) is practically it's own separate component and should be modeled as such.

4. was just a note to myself, It appears you are already breaking up the piece into individual components instead of trying to model it as a single piece. I don't know if any of this will help but hope it does.

Good work!
  • JasonNorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Hamakua! I updated the model a bit to reflect what you mentioned. I was able to get a harder crease in the casing but when I started pulling it away from the main body to get the clearer form changes I had gaps in the model that I could see through very easily so I ended up pulling closer to the frame. Here is the update on that:

1016201507.jpg
    1016201508.jpg

In addition I was working on the low poly model this week. Had some difficulties in this area trying to decide where to keep geometry and where to take it away.
    Feedback would be very much apprecieted!

This is what I have as of now:

1016201501.jpg
    1016201502.jpg
    1016201503.jpg
    1016201504.jpg
    1016201505.jpg
    1016201506.jpg

Should be starting up on the unwrap this week. Thank you!
  • JasonNorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a few adjustments to the low poly and then finished the unwrapping and baking processes this week!

screenshot000.png
    screenshot001.png
    screenshot002.png
    screenshot003.png
    screenshot004.png
  • JasonNorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again everyone! Some more progress this week. I added some smaller details using Ndo2 and then got some base materials on the model using Ddo. Going to go in now and get some different wear on it and add some decals to match the concept a little closer.

screenshot005png
    screenshot014png
    screenshot015png
    screenshot016png
    screenshot017png
    screenshot018png
  • JasonNorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Everyone! This week I made some adjustments to the materials to show off more of the forms and then added decals and some wear and tear. Im getting pretty close to calling this one done so any feedback would be very much appreciated! Thank you

• JasonNorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent a little more time on the materials to define each one a little more and then took the final shots out of Marmoset. I'm really happy with what I was able to accomplish for this project and even though there are still a few more details I would like to add to this piece it's time to move on to the next one. I'll be back on this shortly to add those finishing touches and hopefully get it up on the Marmoset viewer as well! Hope you enjoy!