Home General Discussion

3D Newbie... some advice?

JDM
Hello,

I only have had a few tries with 3DSMax in the past, followed a F-15 tutorial some years ago with some success, but I don't really remember much from that. So you can say I'm a total 3d newbie.

I want to get good at modelling, maybe in the future use some of my models in an indie game (I want to learn Unity as well), or if not gaming, just for the sake of 3d art I want to learn a 3d software, just as a hobby, I'm not planning to make a living out of it.

After reading a lot, I think Maya would be the place to start, since it has a lot of tutorials and it's the industry standard, I've checked MODO as well, but seems that there is not enough info for a complete newbie.

I'm subscribed to Digital Tutors, so I'll start there. Also I want to learn Zbrush, but I guess it's better to start with Maya, right?

So my question is, do you think that starting with Maya before anything else is the way to go? I've heard the interface is hard to learn... Zbrush goes after, right?

Also, final question, following tutorials/practicing in average 10 hours a week, how long do you think it would take me until I can make my first character? I mean a decent 3d model.

Thanks a lot!

Replies

• CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    maya then zbrush isn't a bad idea, you could also pull off most models with only using one or the other of those programs

I learned maya first and only ever use zbrush for organic details like wrinkles etc

how long? depends how fast of a learner you are, just keep making stuff and eventually you'll be boss at it
  • sharsein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sharsein polycounter lvl 9
    Learn Maya first. Most character artists started out doing environments/guns/vehicles, and those are easier to do in maya.

You can make your first character right now if you want. However no amount of Maya/Zbrush tutorials will make your character look good if you don't have an understanding of graphic design principles, proportions and human anatomy.
  • Tim Lewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim Lewis polycounter lvl 7
    You really can't go wrong with Maya or 3DSMax. Either should serve you well for what you want to do.

If you're subscribed to Digital Tutors, they should have a lot of training content for both programs to help you get a grip on the basics. I would recommend looking at Zbrush only after you've got a good feel for making things inside Maya/Max.
  • itzaspace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maya first, the zbrush
    in some 3d models you will need to start in zbrush with a low mesh created in maya for example.
  • JDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDM
    Thanks guys! I'll start with Maya, then when I feel confident I'll start Zbrush.

Thanks
  • lluc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lluc polycounter lvl 14
    if its only for hobby, use Blender, its opensource and community is great.

www.blender.org

www.blenderartists.org/forum/
  • flat-D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flat-D polycounter lvl 6
    You say you want to get good at modeling, but you also want to learn how to do (sculpt) characters. Those 2 in essence are not necessarily the same thing.

If it's learning how to do hard surface models, then pick up any poly-modeling app and dive in. I would even suggest trying more than one app, so you get a sense of what's out there. Anything you pick, more or less, is going to be fine.

Here's a few underdog poly-modeling apps that are quite efficient in their own right. Something to explore beside the obvious big boys you mentioned.
    - Silo (best learning curve out there)
    - Wings 3D (limited, but has good learning curve)
    - Blender (worst learning curve, horrible defaults (needs much customization) but very very good if set up properly)

If you want to create characters, my advice is go straight for sculpting. Today there's a number of apps that will allow for a fairly non-technical approach with complete disregard to topology, one where you can start off a sphere and reach complex and detailed forms just with sculpting.

The apps that support Dynamic Topology are:
    - ZBrush (doesn't really have true dynamic topology, but has efficient work-arounds, and it's king of the hill)
    - Sculptris (great learning curve, I highly recommend as the introductory sculpting app)
    - 3D Coat
    - Blender
    - SculptGL (web based app, good option to get your feet wet)

The reasoning is, you can spend 2-3 years learning your app-of-choice getting grips with poly modeling, and there is a chance you still won't learn much when it comes to character creation. Instead if characters is what you want, just dive into any Sculpting App that supports either Dynamic Topology, or has Dynamesh (ZBrush). This way you start learning how to sculpt, anatomy, and design concepts. The technical stuff you can deal with as years go by :)

To paraphrase this, develop you artistic skills first, along the way you will have the opportunity to dive into the technical world.

As an example, here's a sculpt jam timelapse of a dragon I did in Blender.

dragon_timelapse.gif

As you can see, I did not have a clear idea of what it'd look like, the concept was developed on the fly during the sculpt jam. It's this super fast feedback environment of sculpting that is very suitable for developing your artistic side.