Home Technical Talk

3DS Max 2015 Creasemod.dlm error

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Gungriffon Geona polycounter lvl 18
So I'm apparently unable to load this particular modifier from a totally fresh install of Extention 1. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but no matter what the error persists and i simply can't get this working. is there something I need to change that will fix this? what is it that I should do?

running Win7 64-bit

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's the error? Have you googled the error message?
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've googled it (error code 127) and all I get is a single thread on Autodesk's page where they can't find a solution. one person said to clear their appdata folder, but I'm having a strange conundrum where that doesn't work. (also max somehow decided to install everything into it's main directory. I have no idea why it did that.) on top of that, a full uninstall and reinstall does nothing.
    I've attempted to install service pack 3 to see if that might help, but that doesn't seem to do anything other than break Max and force me to reinstall.
    I also attempted to get one of the 3rd party Opensubdiv plugins, hoping that I could simply avoid the issue of crease modifier being MIA, but it seems like Max is even refusing to load or use that, throwing up a 126 error.

There's another error I got during installation of Max as well as the service packs, where it can't write to the corefiles registry entry in '\Products\7CE73B25638D01403046C342CBDE0201\Features', but I don't know if that affects anything or not.

Honestly I'm just wondering if anyone has had personal experience with this and might have found a solution that I don't know about/hasn't been posted online.
  • spacefrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog polycounter lvl 15
    the corefiles registry error essentialy causes a premature ending of the install routine, leading to exactly the files/parts you mention not getting installed ( Crease Explorer etc.. )

I ( and other people ) had this corefiles installer error too for some time . Autodesk was'nt able to come up with a fix AFAIK. My explanation on the cause of this error is, that the Autodesk installers put's so huge entries into the installer registry which cause the registry API that gets used by the windows installer to fail on some machines.

That does'nt help you of course - Other tips are:
    Retry the install and be sure to NOT use the silent install via commandline ( to speed up install time) and press "Ignore" when the error appears. IF this does'nt work, only thing i can recommend is trying to install on a different computer and copy your 3ds max root files over

OR an general timesaving procedure when dealing with 3ds Max SP /Ext installation ( besure to do this as Administrator User) :
    On a fresh machine, install Max, rename Max root folder ( eg. to 3dsMax_Vanilla) , install SP and rename the Max root Folder again ( 3dsMax_SP ), install Extension and rename folder again ( 3dsMax_EXT ).

Now you got 3 folders:
    * one with the vanilla 3ds Max install ( 3dsMax_Vanilla )
    * one containing the files touched by the SP only ( 3dsMax_SP )
    * another one containing all Extension related files ( 3dsMax_EXT )

Zip the SP and EXT folders seperatly and keep the zips
    Rename "3dsMax_Vanilla" back to the original name, copy over content of " 3dsMax_SP" ( and overwrite oc ) to this original folder. Do the same with contents of "3dsMax_EXT". Now you have your 3ds Max fully updated and EXT installed.
    In the future you simply can install 3ds Max, and copy over the ZIP file contents to upgrade your 3ds Max installations, without the long waiting time or installer troubles
    I do this since years and everything works perfectly this way
    Additionally i do this all in a Sandbox ( using the great SandboxIE software thus my main OS does not get messed up )
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the information! I think I'll try putting it over on my laptop since it's mostly a clean Win8 install and then chuck the installed files onto my main rig. that should hopefully solve the issue. I'll report back once I have this sorted.
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got back from work and finished off the install and copy. everything looks to be working perfectly, thanks for your advice!