Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Art Dump] - MGS:V - Metal Gear Online

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
Hey again everyone!

Metal gear Solid V:The Phantom Pain has been out for a while now and i hope you all have had a chance to check it out! Hideo Kojima really is amazing at what he does and the entire team in Japan did an awesome job making his vision into a reality. I hope he will continue to make more games after his departure from Konami. I was lucky enough to work at the Kojima LA studio and contribute to the Metal Gear Online multiplayer that launched today to all of the consoles :)

The Los Angeles team put together an awesome final product for MGO and I hope if you picked up MGSV that you get a chance to jump into the multiplayer for a bit and see what it’s all about. I had departed the studio and am at Naughty Dog currently, but I snagged a few screenshots of what I had worked on for the game before leaving. Some images may appear slightly different than the final product, but I thought to share with all of you what I had done with my time at Kojima Productions and I hope you all like it! Additional work and environment contributions include Tuan Ngo, David Brumbley, Javier Perez, and Richard Gardner. They are all super talented artists and it was great working with them. I've been in touch with them, and I believe hopefully they will share some images here as well of their work!

The images here are all from work I completed alongside Tuan Ngo and with the help of some single player assets from Japan. I also was lucky enough to create a few unique assets and textures for the “Jade Forest” African Jungle Map and have included some images of conceptualized multiplayer maps during the production phase as well. Enjoy!

Jacob_Norris_metal_gear_online_01.jpg
Jacob_Norris_metal_gear_online_02.jpg
Jacob_Norris_metal_gear_online_03.jpg
Jacob_Norris_metal_gear_online_04.jpg
Jacob_Norris_metal_gear_online_05.jpg
Jacob_Norris_metal_gear_online_06.jpg
Jacob_Norris_metal_gear_online_07.jpg
Jacob_Norris_metal_gear_online_08.jpg
Jacob_Norris_metal_gear_online_09.jpg
Jacob_Norris_metal_gear_online_10.jpg

Feel free to check out my facebook for updates and I'm currently working on a texturing tutorial that I hope to share with all of you sometime this year :)
http://www.facebook.com/purepolygons
Thanks!

Replies

• jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Additional Work and concepted maps

Jacob_Norris_mgo_test_map_01.jpg
    Jacob_Norris_mgo_test_map_02.jpg
    Jacob_Norris_mgo_test_map_03.jpg
    Jacob_Norris_mgo_test_map_04.jpg
    Jacob_Norris_mgo_test_map_05.jpg
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    This is the result of a collaboration between myself and Richard Gardner.
    Really happy how it turned out, i learned a lot. :)

Gray Rampart// This level was created using assets built by single player artists at Kojima Productions Japan and re-purposed them in order to create a multiplayer map. This level is the result of hard work between multiple artists and most assets have been through many hands. I was mainly responsible for the Dam itself, it was the one hero asset created in house. I modeled it after a designer blackout and uvd and textured with pre existing texture sheets, as well as some new textures created by myself. Other responsibilities included set dressing the interior and exterior of the dam with single player assets, making texture modifications to the crane and bridge, and optimizing poly count and draw call numbers on a number of assets throughout the map.

01.png
    02.png
    03.png
    04.png
    01.jpg
    02.jpg
    03.jpg
    03-1.jpg
    04.jpg
    05.jpg
    06.jpg
    07.jpg
    08.jpg
    09.jpg
    10.jpg
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 10
    Beautiful stuff dudes!

Edit: so was world machine used for mgo/mgsv? Played mgo a bit earlier today, and everything blends in so great.
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    11.jpg
    12.jpg
    13.jpg

Additional Work and concepted maps

The following shots are from the first week learning the fox engine and its terrain editor :)

14.jpg
    15.jpg
    16.jpg
    17.jpg
  • nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    man, subbed. This is beautiful, you guys at LA did a good job.
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    excellent job. i love art dumps
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    great work in here, really like the cliffs and white buildings
  • kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
    Beautiful stuff guys! Would love to see your assets/textures if you have them ;) I cant wait to jump online later on tonight. Looks like its going to be a blast.
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    Holy crap, so cool. Great work guys, thanks for sharing!
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot guys! Sweet Dam work Javier, it came out veeerry nice
    eMvXm9Y.jpg
    xChris wrote: »
    Beautiful stuff dudes!

Edit: so was world machine used for mgo/mgsv? Played mgo a bit earlier today, and everything blends in so great.
    Yeah we used World Machine a lot and Japan used it on most all of the game i'd say. It's super powerful when mixed with the Fox Engine terrain tools

Beautiful stuff guys! Would love to see your assets/textures if you have them ;) I cant wait to jump online later on tonight. Looks like its going to be a blast.
    Haha hope you enjoy it, I might have a couple of shots of some zbrush sculpts, but not a lot unfortunately. I'll try to check this week

*EDIT - I couldn't find a ton of stuff, but I have added some more images that I have on my comp from MGO and Kojima. Enjoy!*

Zbrush and asset shots

Jacob_Metal_gear_zbrush_01.jpg
    Jacob_Metal_gear_zbrush_02.jpg
    Jacob_Metal_gear_zbrush_03.jpg

More - "Jade Forest"

Jacob_Norris_metal_gear_online_11.jpg
    Jacob_Norris_metal_gear_online_12.jpg
    Jacob_Norris_metal_gear_online_13.jpg

More - "Map Concepting"

Jacob_Norris_mgo_test_map_06.jpg
    Jacob_Norris_mgo_test_map_07.jpg
  • Tim Lewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim Lewis polycounter lvl 7
    Beautiful work! Looking forward to playing it!
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just added my stuff ENJOY.
  • Moosebish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosebish polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome work! Can't wait to play it!
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    This stuff looks fantastic! Did you guys get to rebuild these assets from scratch and just match the art from the main game?
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    Man such inspiring work!
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    sweet game and sweet work
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh wrote: »
    This stuff looks fantastic! Did you guys get to rebuild these assets from scratch and just match the art from the main game?

Id say 75% of these maps were constructed with single player assets. The other 15% was us creating new props, kit bashing existing props, and retexturing certain props to fit our needs.

As far as consistency goes, we had the Lead CG artist in japan review our stuff periodically
    Man such inspiring work!

THANKS!:poly122:
    sweet game and sweet work

THANKS!:poly142:
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    Killer work, guys! Looks great
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Beautiful work! Congrats to all involved. I haven't been this immersed in a game for years.
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone ^__^ glad you guys like the work!
    Shinigami wrote: »
    i sometimes wonder how it feels to go online in to a map you ve created. How does it feel to see other people(players) bringing it to life. I bet you sure know the weak spots of the map and know it inside and out haha :D

Would be funny if someone intentionally made a gaps or so to glitch through when shipped. Just a thought lol.

Hahaha I've always thought about doing that, but our QA team was too good, they definitely would have caught the glitch haha :P

I still have to see if I was able to get any asset shots, I think I have a couple at home, but not a lot unfortunately.
  • d3ltus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d3ltus polycounter lvl 7
    Amazing work. I am loving the game so far. The environments are mind blowing.
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! I added a few more screenshots and some pics of the asset work that I was able to find on my comp. That's everything I had left though haha. Enjoy! :) Hope it's useful

Images can be found in the post above
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2360773#post2360773
  • _Kratos_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Nice work guys... i love the rock formations... old school stuff that works incredibly well in the game :)
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ wrote: »
    Nice work guys... i love the rock formations... old school stuff that works incredibly well in the game :)

Thanks man :) Yeah a lot of the assets and sculpts I shared are from back in 2013. It's crazy how quickly workflows change and how we do new things with all of these new tools these days
  • _Kratos_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    It works man! We were talking about it the other day... one of the best things about MGS V is how consistent the art quality is... its a great game for the big picture and beautiful vistas... there are a lot of good choices in the environments...

Are you guys gonna share some more stuff?
    How big was the team there working on environments?
    Motherbase was made in Japan? Or did you also helped?

jacob07777 wrote: »
    Thanks man :) Yeah a lot of the assets and sculpts I shared are from back in 2013. It's crazy how quickly workflows change and how we do new things with all of these new tools these days
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ wrote: »
    It works man! We were talking about it the other day... one of the best things about MGS V is how consistent the art quality is... its a great game for the big picture and beautiful vistas... there are a lot of good choices in the environments...

Are you guys gonna share some more stuff?
    How big was the team there working on environments?
    Motherbase was made in Japan? Or did you also helped?

Were trying to get the other artists to put some of their stuff up. The env team was a total of 5. Crazy i know.

Correct, motherbase was made in japan. I reused some of the textures used on motherbase on the ship in Amber Station :poly142:
  • DavidBrumbley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidBrumbley polycounter lvl 8
    Here is some of my stuff. I mostly did world building and lighting with a lil bit of asset creation/modification.

QyYSh3h.jpg
    6p6L23r.jpg
    426oBd7.jpg
    bRKrDcq.jpg
    qeXb2wV.jpg
    iCuonuQ.jpg
    f0MnFzf.jpg
    RdAOitE.jpg
    6zmLvM9.jpg
    VJgudhS.jpg
    w5yh6Fb.jpg
    tfWGb2d.jpg
    RRa9g8c.jpg
    ato0EHm.jpg
    j3KUa2n.jpg
    zVbz9Oq.jpg
  • kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
    Great stuff David.

Jacob, those sculpts look great! I love the damaged wall. How did you texture that guy? Tiling textures? It holds up very well in game
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff David.

Jacob, those sculpts look great! I love the wall damage. How did you texture that guy? Tiling textures? It holds up very well in game

Thanks kernersvillan!

At Kojima we had a library of albedo textures with proper textures values in place. Such as tiling plaster or bricks, but of course from the base textures we can create our own color variations and different versions of textures, but the provided base materials were a great way to get a good start with color corrected images and levels. Then I fixed up all of the seams in Mari :)
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 10
    These are such awesmoe sculpts :) , so for an asset like this that you'd probably reuse, do you do a decimate in zbrush or properly retopo for optimization? Really appreciate you guys dropping this art dump :)
    Jacob_Metal_gear_zbrush_01.jpg
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris wrote: »
    These are such awesmoe sculpts :) , so for an asset like this that you'd probably reuse, do you do a decimate in zbrush or properly retopo for optimization? Really appreciate you guys dropping this art dump :)

Thanks man!
    Actually, I used to use decimation master a lot, but I have been seeing some pretty good results from ZRemesher actually in 4R7. I like it too because it gives me nice clean quads to work with and makes things a lot easier. It really depends on the type of surface or asset you are sculpting if Decimation master or ZRemesher is better in that case, but I definitely try to use remesher when it works. There's always usually a little bit of cleanup here and there with whatever you use, but I don't generally retopo a whole assets. That's mostly for characters or things that need a skeleton with certain verts or edge loops. Hope that helps :)
  • mAXDOLOR3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mAXDOLOR3 null
    CAN YOU DO A GRAPHIC MOD TO MGSV, TO MAKE LOOKS like e3 2014 or 2013?
    putting the GZ shaders in TPP, please, more like ground zeroes D:
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    this stuff makes my Snake Solid...