Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Can I get some crits on this environment?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Jaston3D polycounter lvl 8
This was my first natural environment I've done, it took me about a day to do. I really tried to keep in mind my composition and work to get good lighting. Which i've found to not come easy, lighting an exterior environment is so challenging. :poly142: Anyways please crit this to death. I feel like its significantly lacking in some aspect but I can't put my finger on it. https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rocky-plains-ue4-environment

Replies

• flipside8404
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! It brings me back to the time I start playing EQ2, for me it has the same feel especially the grass area/pathway...the clouds for me is kinda out of place..specially the one near the sun, the one on the top right corner feels kinda off too..the one towards the middle have the most realistic feel to it...great job! I can't do any of this..hahaha..what tools did you use to make/render this?
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaston3D polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks man! yeah the clouds feel really weird to me as well. I don't think my actual sky is the right color. The sun and lens flare are giving a sunset feel but some of the color is giving a mid day tone. I'll have to try and tweak some stuff! As for software I used max, zbrush, substance designer and painter, worldmachine, and UE4 as my engine.
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    very nice! i feel you need to crank up your AO, and yeah your shawdows don't match the sun position but those are easy fixes :)
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I would try and add more bounced lighting or something. Have you tried adding a sky light? At that time of day, the contrast between the shadows and lighting is not nearly as strong. It's much more subtle. I think adding a skylight or ambient lighting would help.

I also don't know how I feel about the dirt path texture. Did you make all of these textures? It might be cool to have some of the stones in the dirt path be actual geometry to break up the silhouette a bit.