Home General Discussion

"I Don't Know How to do that!"

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
Hello Polycount,

I'll begin this thread by stating, that, I am an industry noob; an MArt Student at Sheffield Hallam University, whom, after this year of intensive study and skill-set refining, will attempt to put my foot in the reinforced steel door that is the Games industry!

Many students at my level, despite not showing it, feel quite the level of helplessness when approaching the industry, and the concern that echoes mostly throughout the student community, as well as being the personal daunt of my own, is the thought of not being able to complete the task I am assigned to.

I.E. - What if my supervisor asks me to complete a task, and I have no idea how to approach it?!

Myself, and I am certain that many other students, would value greatly, the reassurance of the professional developers; we want to know what you feel we should do when we are stuck.

My personal approach, as always, is to give it a go. Spend some time trying to figure out a solution myself; but take care in not making your efforts futile, as this is still time wasted.

It can be a very daunting feeling having to hold your hands up to the boss and telling him/her that we are stuck. Professionals of Polycount, have you any advice, or guidance that you would be happy to share with us students, about what to do, in-industry, when we have no idea how to approach the task we are assigned? Should we be scared of admitting we are stuck?

Thank you for reading/contributing. :) Essentially, the scope of this is to help reassure the newer artists, and to give them the confidence to seek help.

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ask. If you're a junior artist, new to the company, nobody is going to expect you to know everything. It's FAR better to ask someone for help than it is to sit there and frustrate yourself for hours on end and not getting the game closer to shipping.

Any decent lead or peer should be happy to help you out. Now, if you're asking the same questions over and over, that's a different thing. But as long as you're learning ... don't sweat it.

Ask.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Ask

I have been working at Naughty Dog for 5 years now and I still ask how to do things. Or ask people how they think I should approach something. If there is a situation where I am unsure of how to do something, before I even waste time taking a shot in the dark I ask others for help.

There is NOTHING wrong with asking for help ever in any situation in life. Games or not.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    There is the technical sub-forum if you want to get community advice to your tech questions: http://www.polycount.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43

....for days when your lead might be in a bad mood :poly124:
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Ask.

Anyone just sitting there, basically doing nothing/the wrong thing - aware of it, but too proud to ask, should be banned from the coffee machine for a year :p
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    Id rather have questions from people than snarky comments about how much they know a better workflow / software that we should be using or how our pipeline sucks etc etc.
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome responses - thanks!

It's always something that seems to come up for the newer artists; confidence, hence the creation of the thread, and having industry experts tell them straight up, and bluntly, to just ask, is definitely the most reassuring thing anyone could need.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    The games industry has the friendliest people, which are always eager to help. ASK!
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    On top of what everyone else has said already, it sounds more like a fear of being overwhelmed and not knowing where to start?

If that's the case, something you can always try and do is take a deep breath, take a step back, and break the problem up into smaller parts. Work from bigger forms to smaller ones. Try to make a conscious effort not to get bogged down by smaller details early on.

There's also the internet. There's so much information out there now. Learning how to find answers fast on the internet is something that self-taught artists have been forced to master.

Obviously if it's really technical or pipeline specific I would just ask.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Id rather have questions from people than snarky comments about how much they know a better workflow / software that we should be using or how our pipeline sucks etc etc.

This. So much this.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Tickle someone's wrist.

tap the guy next to you. "Hey, how would you go about doing this? Im doing it this way, is there a better/faster way?"
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
  • OldSalty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OldSalty polycounter lvl 4
    Dan Powell wrote: »

I.E. - What if my supervisor asks me to complete a task, and I have no idea how to approach it?!

To add to this point,
    what if this is my supervisor?
    maxresdefault.jpg

and you have no one you work with to ask?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    use google?

That doesn't help when the question is related to the companys internal workflow. There are many ways to bake a normal map but likely only one that the AD at that company will accept.
  • Tits
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Tits mod
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    you use google, if you don't know, then you ask. nobody expects you to know everything.
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    use google?

It's an interesting point!

Whilst of course, Google won't have the answers to everything (specifically as others have mentioned, if it's pipeline specific or a unique asset) - it is useful for many things.

Would it ever be seen as somewhat unprofessional if you were seen to be using Google to learn how to make an asset you were asked to in-house? Or is Googling for techniques, on the job/at work, a standard practice?
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    If its something I know an inkling of how to do, or the general aspects of the tasks, I will just do it. I will learn as I go, push some buttons, ask questions around me, etc. If there was a clear cut way to do everything, no one would need to evolve in this industry. Constantly, we are trying new things, tasked with things that have never been done before, told to "make Thing-A into Thing-B but BETTER!" with no idea how to approach it... Its all a team effort, and we are all constantly growing off of eachother.

Another thing to keep into mind, speaking of team effort, usually tasks are taken up by multiple people. Rarely is there one person for a large task. Sure, if you are making some rocks or adding a trigger for an event in script, or debugging an issue in a build... you will do it yourself with little to no team effort... but you always have your friends and teammates at the studio. It seems like every 5min I am in a conversation with someone on the dev team about something or another. Honestly, with how fast this industry evolves, you will be learning on the job/task as you go more times than not IMO.

I google stuff all the time, constantly on Polycount, etc. Programmers are half on the internet, other half in a reference book or existing code, why cant we as artists or tech artists?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and you have no one you work with to ask?
    If your lead or co-workers won't help you, then the job/company/project isn't going to last long anyway.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Dan Powell wrote: »
    Would it ever be seen as somewhat unprofessional if you were seen to be using Google to learn how to make an asset you were asked to in-house? Or is Googling for techniques, on the job/at work, a standard practice?

Dude you're seriously overthinking this.

I had "How to model knurling" up on my second screen the other day. I literally had 0 idea how to do it. Before I asked I just did a quick search around and found my answer.

1. In general, you just have to make art that looks good and fits the project requirements. Organization and communications with other departments is also important if you're working on a character or weapon.
    2. Tutorials/googling/whatever is fine. Once again, if you're hitting deadlines and getting your work done, you're fine.
    3. If you ask a question about perforce or a specific workflow related to the project, people are understanding. If you start asking thousands of silly basic questions that you could easily google, then people will start getting annoyed.
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    it's not about knowing everything within a second... it's more important to know where to look
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni wrote: »
    Dude you're seriously overthinking this.

The idea of the thread is to raise common points of concern/worry that go through people's minds when they're new to the industry, and to create a sense of reassurance that they've nothing to fear.

The question I raised is not one that I personally would be concerned about, as I'd be happy to go and have a quick Google to see if anyone's found a good method - but it is something that some newer to the industry would worry about. :P
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay wrote: »
    it's not about knowing everything within a second... it's more important to know where to look

Definitely! :)
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    WarrenM wrote: »
    That doesn't help when the question is related to the companys internal workflow. There are many ways to bake a normal map but likely only one that the AD at that company will accept.

If it's a question about the internal workflow I usually try to find out through an alternate means. At an organised company they will have internal documentation that tells you exactly how things work and sets out standards. Otherwise it's helpful to ask either the tools programmer, or a tech artist, about how things should be done. Ideally your lead will tell you who works on that particular system when you get the task. So you can just go work with them to solve problems.
  • bonepuller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bonepuller polycounter lvl 4
    As a Junior Artist you're not going to be asked to do anything that they haven't seen you do in your portfolio. In fact, they'll probably assume you can't do anything other than what they've seen.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chances are it's been asked before - so a quick search is worth it. But make it a quick one, you don't want to spend half an hour or more searching for something the person next to you could answer and demonstrate to you inside of 5 minutes (and your bosses certainly won't).

If no one knows, Google more and try stuff out. Over time you'll build up a sort of bank of intuition and half remembered facts, workarounds, posts on forums... and it'll all feed in.

A big part of being in the industry - and something many courses fall to instill, with an over-reliance on tutorials - is figuring out how to approach new things. You might not know the whole path, but when faced with a problem, being able to break it down and pull together disparate bits of knowledge to get you through is an invaluable skill. It's one of the most enjoyable parts of the job, I find.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    When I started at my first job they were like, OK, you're the Lighting Artist. So, I had to learn Vray, I basically learned the lighting method by using the old game's scenes and relighting them...
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I google how to do stuff at work all the time! A good number of times it links me to a Polycount thread that helps me out :)
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it's a question about the internal workflow I usually try to find out through an alternate means. At an organised company they will have internal documentation that tells you exactly how things work and sets out standards. Otherwise it's helpful to ask either the tools programmer, or a tech artist, about how things should be done. Ideally your lead will tell you who works on that particular system when you get the task. So you can just go work with them to solve problems.

Having never worked in a studio, I've always wondered about that, thanks! I know many places set up "art bibles" for visual reference for a project.

Mirroring what the others have said, 3dstuffs is a technical skill with a ton of things to know; you're not expected to know everything. Often, someone will have a novel way to do even the simplest thing and are usually happy to share what they know.

Everyone has the ability to break a problem down and find a solution, it's just a matter of exercising that and figuring out what works best for them.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Hi, interesting topic since even though I'm an experienced / intermediate programmer I often get this fear. I think it relates to pride, like people have mentioned, but also wanting to prove you can accomplish a task without disrupting another person - seem inexperienced. Under time constraints, I'll often seek advice from the tech lead a lot faster than if I'm given some space to investigate an implementation or feature. However, I'll usually go down the route of, that if someone else has done it then I can too and maybe creating a more robust approach.

Ask if you think that you don't understand the task or concept, getting it explained to you and at the same time have questions on hand, to ask while someone is explaining, helps a lot. There's no shame in saying, I've never been involved in a process like this, have no experience and don't understand what you're asking me to do. As long as you put the effort in to learn and show that you can up-skill, people won't hold lack of experience against you - or shouldn't - everyone starts somewhere.

In every interview I've been to and offers / jobs I've had, I honestly say I don't know how to do this, but I'll always improve and I can. Making people aware of where you've come from and knowledge that you don't have, or areas you are willing to explore and become proficient in, makes it easier and takes pressure off.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    @Target_renegade, i work as a programmer in a studio, and even leads will ask for help. Not everyone has the exact same skill set. There are just as many situations where i help my coworkers as there are situations where i ask for help.

Also with large codebases its good to ask at times anyways since someone else may have already solved the problem and you just dont know which namespace to look in.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    @passerby True, and sometimes the lead needs to be checked to stop refactoring everything! We have a very flat hierarchy, which is a massive bonus. No one is in a position where one has total freedom of decision making, however, the tech lead ( our ) has the habit of changing things without fully explaining what the changes to the code base were. Which is challenging in it's own right.
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 10
    Ask here or your peers! Its better to always ask instead of spending a ton more time trying to figure it out yourself. My first AAA job I learned a ton from people, and every once in a while they'd call me over to show me new things which was always awesome and nice. I'm honestly a better artist cause of them and because of people on these forums, even a friendly PM wouldn't hurt, don't be afraid to ask away! :)
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome posts everyone. Thanks. :-)