Home Technical Talk

Tablet Pressure Sensitivity Issue

lamb
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
lamb polycounter lvl 7
Hi All,

This has been asked a million times before probably, but my tablet started randomly losing pressure sensitivity on single strokes in Photoshop CS6.

This started when I plugged in my new second screen: Samsung S24D300 connected via a VGA cable.

I have a Cintiq 13HD and the issue occurs when I have the HDMI cable plugged in as well as when it is unplugged (I do not use the screen on it)

The Samsung is set to main and the laptop screen is set to extend.

this is what it looks like:
tumblr_nvi98lS9Q81rrc5p8o1_540.png

I am using Windows 8 on a MSI CX61 laptop with the i5 and GT645M configuration.

I already tried:

Using another stylus
turning off Windows Ink
Installing a legacy driver (it made it even worse)
Reseting the Wacom Professional Service in Local Services
Removing my tablet preferences in the Tablet Preference Utility
Disabling the Tip Double Click Distance
Removing my preferences in PS
Changing the GPU settings in PS to Basic
Disabling the Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service in Local Services

A huge thank you for any other tips.

Replies

• lamb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lamb polycounter lvl 7
    I found out some additional info:

The dark stroke that seemingly loses pressure sensitivity is not 100% opaque, even with opacity jitter turned off and at 30% flow.

I checked my processes as I was working in PS and no spikes in my performance correlated with the stroke issue, so no process is taking precedence that could cause the issue (this is very vague, but it could be a pointer).

I changed the USB port and even tried using it without my wireless USB keyboard and mouse.

Also Purged my RAM in PS, to no avail.

//also tried switching the main monitor.
  • Crolock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crolock polycounter lvl 4
    I had the same issue with photoshop.. And the problem was "windows Ink".. When turned off you loose the sensitivity, but this is a pain to work with this thing turned on.

The solution is here [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cfQUzUOWTQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cfQUzUOWTQ[/ame]
  • lamb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lamb polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you Crolock. But I tried turning Windows Ink off before (I actually had a similar issue more than a year ago which got resolved by turning off Windows Ink). However even after following this guide, the current bug persits.

Could it be caused by the VGA cable? I am not very keen on buying a HDMI cable just to realize that it's not the issue.

Has anyone experienced similar issues?

Do you use a Cintiq on dual monitors with the cintiq screen turned off? Do you experience this issue?

//it works just fine when the new monitor is unplugged. As soon as I plug it in the issue starts again and does not stop even after unplugging. There must be a way to make this work. Everyone uses two monitors TT__TT Trying out Intuos drivers atm.
  • lamb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lamb polycounter lvl 7
    ok, here is the thing.

The Cintiq does that when its display is disabled. So all I have to do is find a way to enable all 3 displays at the same time. Which I am not even sure if can be done. The GTX645 can do this, will have to dig deeper to get this running. This has become quite an adventure.

My plan was to extend the native laptop display and cintiq display with the desktop enabled only on the large one. My dream is to have references on one screen and Photoshop on the other. But the system refuses to let them play together.

Currently I am running with the desktop on the Samsung and extended desktop on the Cintiq. It's complicated, gahh. But making progress :)
  • Crolock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a cintiq 13hd a few month ago and I never have any issue with hdmi connection. :/ If you can avoid vga and use hdmi instead, the image quality is much better.

I never use mine as a tablet, like a bamboo or an intuos to be honest..
    As far as I know you probably have a gtx645 M in your laptop. It can probably handle only one external display at a time... Even if you have hdmi and vga port. Laptop gpu are limited compared to the desktop versions.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    I have this problem as well on a 27" Cintiq.
    However, Photoshop is the only program that seems to do this, which is why I'm not so quick to blame the drawing device.
    Tvpaint, ToonBoom Studio, Sketchbook Pro all function as they should.. with no opacity changes with each successive stroke.

Photoshop itself seems to be the problem. Not the connection we use or our tablets.

Edit:: Just for an experiment. Try using Gimp to see if the line quality changes on your computer.
    It's free and the results of whether it's your tablet/computer or individual program, would probably pose to be pretty useful
  • lamb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lamb polycounter lvl 7
    I think they are both to blame Wacom as well as Adobe. It works as long as my Cintiq screen is turned on. Trouble starts when I disable the display and use it as na "intuos". But in order to have both my large displays running I need to disable the Cintiq display because my setup cannot handle that (i.e. 3 displays). It is a clusterf*ck.

It works perfectly well as long an I am on 1 screen + the cintiq screen. I just do not want that.
  • Crolock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a 27hd non touch too. And with any wacom driver version, sensitivity is an issue only in photoshop, even with the fix in the video I posted.
    I just stoped using it as my primary 2d software.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Here's the really strange thing...

Small dashes or lines cause it, as you mentioned earlier.
    But when trying to draw small O shapes, the error seems to disappear.

I've been reading into it, and it may be a DoubleTap (Right Click) spacing/speed issue. (Which you've tried to address in the opening paragraph.)
    The problem could be compounded by more monitors at different resolutions, but I was able to achieve the same issue with only the Cintiq 27 connected. The issue remained.

I've read that this issue runs through other Adobe products.

MLe1B7b.png