Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

new reel

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Hito interpolator
iAnimate game workshop turned out to be a great thing for me. Finished workshop2 a week ago, trucking to workshop3 next week. In the mean time got a new cut of ye olde reel with all the new workshop stuff, plus the weekly theme animations I did here. Enjoy!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me85Id1kGyA[/ame]

Replies

• JennyS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work, Hito! Some familiar stuff in there ;) That fall is looking better, and I love that you included that flip on the toilet, haha. Shows great personality. Does it need the "B Side" title card? I wasn't sure what that was about, and it takes away time from your animations.

I was thinking about doing iAnimate as well in the future. Have you had any complaints?
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    yea this is the public version. for job applications everything is cut from "B-Side" after so it's ~1min long.

only complaint is they made it eaiser. :D It used to be 14 weeks (couple years ago), 3~4 animations per workshop. Now it's 11 weeks, 3 animations for workshop 1; 2 for workshop 2. I can see why they did it as many people have a hard time finishing 2 animations in workshop 2 due to job and other real life stuff. They also reduced the amount of technical information (game side) and focusing more on just animation. Other wise I think it's very good, very flexible as you are not locked into a multi-course track. You get around 5 to 8 hrs (a week) with the instructor over 1hr Lectures and couple reviews. Some do 2 live reviews; some do 1 live and 1 recorded reviews.
  • JennyS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aw, it's kind of disappointing to hear they cut down on the tech stuff, that was one thing that I thought distinguished their program over many other online anim schools. Good to hear that it's still a solid place. Thanks!
  • Intermission14
    I love that first piece. Overall a solid reel!

Quick question, how much animation did you do prior to starting the ianimate course? I'm a beginner and thinking of signing up for the games workshop in January. I have knowledge of Maya just new to animation really.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    That's just for game animation 1 and 2. comparing what I took with the old recordings from the vault. Might be that all the tech stuff is shifted into workshop3 which starts next week. I think initially there were only 2 workshops game animation wise, now there're 3.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Hito! Great stuff! But ya, I would agree you can ditch the B side stuff

I think, for me personally, I would ditch the lisa death (it doesnt show weight very well. very light), and swap it out for the b side clip of the 1 guy with the 4 or 5 different animations going.

The state machine setup clip youve got is decent. But a little too long. you dont need to focus on the walk cycle for so long.

cryo's climb. So close. Please keep polishing that one. His left should breaks bad when he reaches up to the second last ledge. then the pull up at the end feels a bit slow. right after he grabs that last ledge, he just sort of floats up and over it. speed it up a touch.

As for the iA questions. It very much depends on the instructor for a lot of the stuff Hito has been saying. some teachers add in an second review. some dont. Some will dive into the technical stuff through class. they talk about it a lot. Some dont. The course load never really had the engine side of things in it. But you could definitely learn a lot of the technical know how if you ask the right questions in class. or have the right teacher. But im pretty sure its only suppose to be a 1 hour lecture and a 1 hour QnA. really depends on the instructor though. and how big the class is, as well.

@Intermission, if you`re new the animation, they`ll tell you to take games 0, i think. Maybe even the starter animation course they have.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    I see what you mean about the shoulder and up over the ledge, I'll fix that up tonight. Maybe rearrange some things around a bit. If GW3 doesn't give me the chance I'll probably take some time and do a full locomotion set with state tree in Unity after GW3 is over.
  • Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    Nice reel!! going to grab some tips from this haha , planning to do a videogame reel :P. I think that the captain chevy can enter in the reel , it looks good and the 5 mini guys can be good if you apply to a mobile game company :O ( just my opinion, I don't have any experience in game studios haha )

I suggest you create a webpage just to put your reel there and some information about you :) , you can create one in wix for free or use other webpage creator, good luck!!!
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    @Intermission, I've been doing animation and general 3D stuff for quite some time. Worked on a few DS games some years back, and few other game related freelance gigs. just never really got into games fully. Workshop 0 goes over fundamentals of Maya, animation curves, arcs, overlap, etc. They will recommend that most likely. I still recommend life drawing, years and years of it, should never really stop... it's the only way to really understand how the body moves and carries the weight in different poses. Starting with Workshop 1 you get assignments to pose characters to reference image, it's good exercise, but still not as good as a pad of newsprint and some charcoal. But you probably won't get that kind of foundationals in any 3d animation course.

@Arturow yeah I have a weebly, just set up a basic artstation page too... and updated the vimeo. My youtube is the most active. I've been sending out resumes over the last few years, but too many HR filters to get through I reckon, can't tell if the reel actually gets seen at all. That's the main reason I have two versions of the reel online this time so I can see if what I send out with the resume actually gets viewed or not.
  • Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    @Hito : I feel you haha , I had interviews from Canada and Japan. Even passed the test they gave me but I didn't make it because I had almost no experience haha ( why even interview me D: , but yeah they prob found a better candidate haha). I sometimes had that feeling that my reel was not even looked because the experience haha but I will keep trying to hopefully one day land a studio job :)! Good luck in your applications !