Home Technical Talk

Silent but deadly (Modo)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
repete polycounter lvl 6
Was trying my ass of to script this but it is such a pain that I decided to just use a macro.

Many of you might know it but it is very fast and silent (zero interaction).

#LXMacro#
scene.saveAs "H:/" fbx true

“H:/” is the location of your choice. Mine is “H:/UE4 Game Dev/TESTERS/Content/Geometry/Meshes_tmp/"

Only con is that it does not create a new file but your mesh name stays intact, but if you are prototyping,blocking out levels,testing meshs, baking normals in modo it save’s all the extra steps of naming and saving your mesh(s) each time you make changes. The pro is you get to keep all your undo’s in modo.

If you have export selection with hierarchy in your FBX settings it works a treat, means you can export any mesh or a group of meshs silently. Works great with marmoset 2.8 as they have added auto update for meshs and of course UE4 (no need to reimport as ue4 updates the mesh for you).

Set to a hot key = bada bing bada boom :poly121:

Cheers

Replies

• peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Well this is just great, i was just working in Modo and i just noticed that mm_saveLayersAs doesn't work under 901. I still use the command you gave me a while back scene.save export (export all in the scene command).

Let me check this one out and i will tell you what i think about it.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2284102#post2284102
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This exports each selected layer to FBX to the directory of your choice, with the positions of the layers centred at world zero.

The FBX file names are taken from the layer names.

You can specify an argument for the output directory (or it'll ask you to pick one if you don't).

http://www.farfarer.com/temp/exportFBX.zip

e.g.
    @exportFBX.py D:\Project\Models
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For FYI purposes, FBX supports the Center as the pivot in UE4 correctly so there's no reason to do the "move the mesh to the origin before exporting" dance anymore. It "just works".
  • Farfarer
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for this Farfarer :thumbup:

:poly121:
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well Repete and Farfarer you guys have just blown my head off, this is silent flawless integration between Modo and UE. No pivot setting to do, thanks to both of you for this. Works like a charm and fairly robust. I'm going to have crazy fun with this.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to bump this thread again (double post), but did anyone got a working argument for custom output directories. I tried many times with various settings but nothing seems to work. The window opens but points to the default output folder.

Example: @exportFBX.py D:/UnrealEditor\Imported\Meshes
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    That examples has both slashes, \ and /, which may not work. I didn't try the script but the macro version in repete's first post works fine with custom dirs.

Also if by mm_saveLayersAs you mean the right-click option that was intergrated; that seems to work in 901 fine for me; in what situation is it broken for you? For export I'd just been using that right-click option with multiple items + export separate files and overwrite prompts disabled. Seemed pretty fast and flexbile, though since I don't jump around projects too much I suppose I could use the macro and skip the dialogue.

Also way off topic but it's been bugging me: What's with FBX2006.11 export being removed from 901? I kinda needed that... there's some other odd stuff but I won't rant here too much.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It won't create the specified output directory. I'll modify it to do that.

Currently if you don't give it a real directory, it won't export.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek wrote: »
    That examples has both slashes, \ and /, which may not work.

I used D:/UnrealEditor\ and not D:\UnrealEditor\ because of the smiley threat :poly114b:

I'm not too sure why but mm_saveLayersAs doesn't react i press export layer but nothing happens. It's properly installed like every other script but since ver. 901 i haven't been able to use it.
    Farfarer wrote: »
    It won't create the specified output directory. I'll modify it to do that. Currently if you don't give it a real directory, it won't export.

Yes, it's not possible to load from the command with custom dir when it's activated in Modo. And also when importing you have to consecutively press "import all" with many layer/objects. But nonetheless this is a beautiful plungin i'm really not complaining.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I'll give it better errors and stuff.

It was written quickly as a favour to someone else on here and thought it might be relevant :P