Home Technical Talk

Fetch and Organize ?

CreativeSheep
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
Does this exist within Maya or is there an external tool, as in script for Maya. Whereas all texture files sitting randomly on the computer can be fetched and moved to a specific location on the computer; strictly for organization ?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, something that can via Maya file paths can take all image files that are randomly placed on various drives and move them to a folder and update the image paths.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you unzip the archive into a new folder, and open that Maya scene, doesn't it do exactly that?
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I prefer not to do it that method, I want more automation.
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    this is a useful tool, but I didn't fully understand what you want to do.
    http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/script/filetexturemanager

in maya 2016 there is also Windows->General Editors->File Path Editor
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    File Path Editor exists in 2015 as well.

Instead of helping, the tool messed up all my image paths; completely messing up the scene, arghh.
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    I haven't used the Maya File Path Editor very much.
    The FileTextureManager is a great timesaver. For example you can check all used textures in the scene, move them to a new location of your choice and then just set the new path and you're fine.
    It also shows you missing textures and so on.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FileTextureManager solved some of my problems; not all. I still have over 26 unresolved file paths; some are irreverent, but since Maya is finicky it won't render the scene correctly until the file paths are resolved; from there I can clean up the images and files, at this point I have black render to which previously before running FileTextureManager the render was how it should be :(
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Within File Texture Manager I first Analyse the Scene file for the textures. I'm prompt for seventy-six textures pointing to eight different paths. Some textures are none existent, a majority are located in one location.

I select those seventy-six textures and choose to move them to a destination folder; I'm prompt it's successful, but when checking the script editor I get a warning the move cannot not be done, could be permission issue or path existence issue.

The destination folder has full read & write access and exists, this script is not cooperating as effectively as it appears.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone using this tool regularly ? I have a few hiccups & questions. Be nice if the author was on this board.
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    If textures are not existing/not found for maya first fix the path. This means select the textures find the right path on your drive and set a path.
    When all textures are found select all textures, then move to your desired new path. After that, you have to use "set path", to use the new path.
    I guess your error comes from the textures that are not found by maya in the first place.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prior to using File Texture Manager, there was no problems with the scene, in terms of texture paths. After using the tool and not triggering "set path" rather copy \ move files; what as happened is, the files have been moved to the target path to which I set forth in File Texture Manager, but Maya is looking in the old paths for the textures.

This is what needs to be fixed in my scene, either via File Texture Manager or another automation tool. The next time I use File Texture Manager I'll known which I didn't know at the time, because the explanation in the help file wasn't clear or didn't specify this when following the steps that one should run the 'set path'.
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    can't you just fix your scene by choosing the path you accidently moved the files to and then use set path? or is everything fine now?
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can't you just fix your scene by choosing the path you accidentally moved the files to and then use set path?

There are alot of files; that was the point of the file texture manager, transfer texture assets from one folder to another.

Why can't file texture manager fix this mistake; or does there not exist another tool to update file paths in maya ?
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    I think you have to be more precise.
    Maybe post a screenshot of FileTextureManager after analyzing files, to see how big the mess is. ;)
    If I understood you right you have a file with lots of textures, who can't be located by maya. And even you don't know, where they are on your harddrive, right? This is something you can't fix with maya. Sorry for that.
    You have to find all those files with Windows Tools, like WindowsExplorer or TotalCommander, move them to a directory and then then go to Maya and fix your scene. I don't know a tool within maya(and I guess there is none), where you can search your whole harddrive for all missing textures...
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you have to be more precise.
    Maybe post a screenshot of FileTextureManager after analyzing files, to see how big the mess is. ;)

The copy or the move from FileTextureManager is already complete, I don't think a screen shot will be helpful ? :)
    If I understood you right you have a file with lots of textures, who can't be located by maya. And even you don't know, where they are on your harddrive, right? This is something you can't fix with maya. Sorry for that.

No, I know where the files are on my HDD, I want the files paths to be updated though automation to which File Texture Manager did not do, most likely because the 'set path' command in the tool was no executed as I was not aware that needed to be done.
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    If you know where the textures are, FileTextureManager shouldn't have a problem.
    1. Analyze your scene
    2. Fix the Pathes
    3. Analyze again and see if everything is fine
    I got a screenshot attached, maybe you mixed something up...
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 wrote: »
    If you know where the textures are, FileTextureManager shouldn't have a problem.
    1. Analyze your scene
    2. Fix the Pathes
    3. Analyze again and see if everything is fine
    I got a screenshot attached, maybe you mixed something up...

Ah, ok.

Maya is stubborn, it won't render a scene if file textures are missing it doesn't seem to matter even if they appear not to be used in the scene.

But destination does not exist; is the error I get with some file textures, but the destination does exist ?

Do you know how, with MEL / Python I can quickly with the hypershade open, select the object then the node to which the supposedly destination does not exist ?
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    i didn't understand you fully.
    as i said, filetexturemanager reports, which textures are missing. you have to fix this.
    if you think you have lots of materials/textures in your scene you don't use, go to hypershade->Edit->Delete Unused Nodes. Maya will delete all textures and materials that are not used in the scene. What's left has to be fixed.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did Delete Unused Nodes; the scene continues to render black, this wasn't the case before I ran File Texture Manager. I know File Texture Manager is strictly for moving files from one location to another; I can't figure it out ?