Home Technical Talk

Best way to drag a shape over an object's surface in Maya

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Justo polycounter
I'd love to see if anyone has a better way of doing this. I always make a duplicate object of the shape I want to drag onto, and make it Live.

F7DgANF.jpg

The drawback is that I have to be pretty specific of where I want to drag my shape over, or else the dragged shaped will eventually become too deformed. How do you guys do this, whenever you have to?

XTONE6k.jpg

Replies

• claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    you could bring the water to the horse instead as an alternative...

Most of Maya's Deformers use a duplicate BaseShape strategy to calculate deformation.
    So, for instance if your sphere was a wrap you could slide across the surface by rotating the sphere's deform "baseShape" along with the explicit deform shape after impressing with deformation. ( transforming both the deformation with the baseShape allows the deformation to travel across the surface of the deformed object [ yer tri fan circle ] )

e.g.
    like sliding muscle effects: ( wire deformer as an example )
    4425838055_9dfa49448e_o.gif

or wave effects:
    4426660820_d783c568ff_o.gif

( from an old script that faked Mirai Magnet functionality with interactive deform setup in Maya before Maya had soft selection. ):
    http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/script/clay_dough-mel

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    You should be able to use Maya's Transfer Attributes tool (Mesh > Transfer Attributes) to transfer vertex positions.Y ou can adjust your shape in real time to view/change the results afterward.

Transfer Attributes should not squish your verts around as you move your shape except in instances where you are trying to move your transferred object to a location that has no verts to reference. Of course, it always depends on the shapes.

Set Vertex position to On
    Set Sample space to World
    Set Search method to either option depending on needs/results.
    Disable other options depending on your needs.

You can delete history and repeat Transfer Attributes as many times as you want. I recommend working from a copy in case something goes wrong.
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    @Bartalon, cool method...Thanks! It does seem a bit wonky how vertices snap away from the mesh, but I guess I just have to get used to the workflow.

@claydough Thanks for posting that method. I'm sure I must be doing something wrong, but are you sure that'd work in curve surfaces? It's fine and all when you can move the axis in XYZ, but when shaped are more complicated, I'd imagine that it could get harder to move around that bend/magnet...

1hbvjTd.jpg

WvgfCIN.jpg
  • Mogul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    or maybe something like this?
    Align_Orient.jpg

go to bonus tools -> modify tabs -> snap align object to component

change the option at the option box. check orient and constraint

select first object you want to align and shift select component type (face) at second object.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    @ justo
    sorry I should have been more explicit:

a deformer with a baseShape is not the same thing as a deformer with just a shape ( although u can sometimes get luck with similar effects on some )
    deformers that use base shapes have two shapes and use the distance between the shapes to calculate deformation. But when we transform both of the dformers shapes at the same time we sweep that deformed distance across the deformed object.

none of the non linear deformers like the bend deformer have more than 1 shape to calculate deformation as far as I know. ( try wire and wrap )
    but are you sure that'd work in curve surfaces? It's fine and all when you can move the axis in XYZ, but when shaped are more complicated, I'd imagine that it could get harder to move around that bend/magnet...
    the whole point is to remain perpendicular to the surface. Like a live surface. So on complex surfaces do just that! make yer deformed surface live and freely drag yer deformer( along with it's base shape )

I just sculpted a bird beak with convexity and concavity ( complex overlapping ) on a torus surface and am dragging it around the surface???
    Edit: actually being live is not enough ( halfway though ) orientation does have to be constrained to a duplicate of the deformed surface. Need a script to automate?
    Edit: depending on what yer usage is for such surface oriented sweeping on my muscle systems the deformers are set driven animated along motion paths along the surface.
  • Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    @claydough Thank you for explaining in more detail. Still, I think that method is getting into too technical territory for something so simple, don't you think?

@Mogul That looks sweet. However, in Maya 16 they've added the Snap Align to the Modify tab by default, and changed the options. Maya's documentation doesn't seem to have written about this particular function, would you care to explain in more detail how could one achieve that?
  • Mogul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh sure.
    but my english is bad. so i will explain with some pic. hope you understand

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

loc.jpg
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message