Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Christian Gro

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
C86G greentooth
Hello everyone.

It´s time to show you my portfolio for review and critique. Since I had no luck getting any serious job with my old carbonmade site and had to work on some non 3d-related stuff, I now moved to Artstation and re-rendered some old work. So far I had no time for new work (besides the HK416).

Please let me know
- what may keep/kept me from getting a job (and even a good internship)?
- should I cut anything off my portfolio?
- what should be my next project? Realtime version of my HK416? A good character? A collection of props? Open to any suggestion.
- anything else I should now at this point?

Feel free to tell me anything that comes up to your mind. I got really frustrated hearing "Your work is really good, but at this moment..." and "Your work is really good but your lack of experience..." again and again.

https://www.artstation.com/artist/christiang

Thank you.

Replies

• Josef R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josef R polycounter lvl 5
    Right off the bat I feel like you should cut the "Reptile Character" model. It looks pretty lacking compared to your other work. There are good aspects to it, but overall I don't think it works in your favor.

I think something that's hurting you quite a bit is your lack of completed assets. Most of your models that you're showing seem incomplete.

Your hi-poly stuff is really great, especially the stuff for your Brink soldier fan-art. However, some of your anatomy sculpting needs work. Particularly the non-stylized faces.

You also don't have a piece that adequately displays your texturing capabilities. The textured guns you have are fine, but there's not much else to go on to assess your texturing skills.
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    Hi C86G/Chris! I'm no veteran in 3D Art, but I can certainly try and provide you with some what of a First-impressions for you.

-Immediately, with your weapons, I didn't know whether or not they were textures/Materialised. So Perhaps for each thumbnail ensure you have an image that best represents the prop/Environment. For e.g the HK416, I may have used the 2nd or 7th image, soley based on it being more presentable the second I click on your community profile.

-Same with the Ritchie, I may have used the 6th image for the thumbnail.

-The next thing is about the 'stylized soldier, the Helloween statues and the reptile'
    Firstly, perhaps one thing I conclude is that you have faith in your modelling ability, the only thing that holds that back can be seen with your exploration with texturing these. (Emphasis on that I think your texturing is great! just the exploration of them)

The stylized solder gear could have other variants of said gear (Camouflage Patterned, Blood stained Khaki with mud. It provides the viewer with the opportunity to theorize who and where this soldier fights.

The Helloween statues have a similar issue, if these statue reside within an amazonian jungle, would they naturally change color in certain places as a result of Moss/Ivy/Rain. Another level would be that 'Objects' that remain still in an environment inhabited by birds and monkeys would have crap on it (literal poop). But lets not go there xD

Finally your reptile dude, i like him! If you're thinking about scrapping him, ask yourself why. Perhaps the Green is too much. Explore his potential color palette, maybe a little bit of purple here and there, his belly could have an Illuminescence to it with an orange glow perhaps? or maybe this reptile belong to a Sci-Fi world and just needs a robe!

All I ask is, explore your characters with texturing too :D

It looks like you enjoy weapons and characters. So I ask one thing of you Christian. Let us see a character, with a weapon that he can never be seperated from. A weapon he would trust his life with. Create this by modelling as you have been, but provide subtle hints within the texturing to provide a story. An example of characters who can't separate from their weapon (Guts - berserk (anime), Ichigo and his sword Zangetsu (also anime). By doing this type of project, you are collectively combining both of the strongest elements of your portfolio.

Thank you if you even managed to read this. Other than that my friend, I enjoyed going through your portfolio, I think you can come up with some nice stuff and I look forward to seeing what you do!
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    - Your hardsurface stuff is good but most of your guns are untextured and the one that is textured is not really good.
    - The body proportions of your characters are fine but their face anatomy is not good at all. Here again, most of them are untextured and the ones that are textured are not well done.
    - You don't show wires and flats for most of your stuff. It's super important to show them.

My advices would be:
    - your biggest weakness is your texturing, so work on it and show more textured stuff.
    - improve the facial anatomy of your characters or cut them from your portfolio.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Thanks to everybody for your help.

I will put some focus on texturing and, of course, having finished projects.
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    Cool! If I see anything that may help out I'll post it here, or on your Artstation, as I have followed you :D

GL!
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    High poly stuff looks great, and very good presentation. I agree with everyone else you need more stuff to completion