Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Archetypes

Rhoutermans
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
Hi all, I wanted to share with you these character archetypes I'm creating for my studio. It's practice for me in texturing and character modelling (I'm more experienced in environments). These characters will be made in 1 or 2 afternoons each (about 8 hours) including rigs, skinning.

The Characters.
We'll be able to use these characters for prototypes or future projects, the goal is to stay a bit generic with their designs, so an army of zombies would be easily 'generated' with just changing a shirt color, skin tone, etc. This also means most characters will keep about the same proportions so we'll be able to share animations using CAT.

Style.
I'll be aiming for a handpainted cartoony look, also so we'll be able to mess around with proportions later on.

Every friday I get the afternoon to work on these low poly characters and I'll be posting them here to hopefully get some feedback and improve.

I'll be using 3D-Coat, Photoshop and 3D Studio Max.
Examples of some of the archetypes I'll be creating:
  • Army Soldier
  • Adventurer
  • Ninja
  • Pirate
  • Knight
  • Wizard
  • Zombie
  • Hunter (Bow and arrow)

Week 1 : Zombie
Zombie.jpg
ZombieWire.jpg

Week 2 : Mummy (Using the same model as the Zombie.)
Mummy.jpg
MummyWire.jpg

The Rig:
I want the rig to be flexible. I'll be using CAT to create all the rigs so I'll be able to more easily share animations. In this case I added extra bones for the eyes so they'll be able to spin around and also added a jaw bone so he can bite his next lunch.

ZombieRig1.jpg

Any feedback on design, technical modelling and rigging is always welcome! Also taking suggestions for more character archetypes :)

Thanks for taking a look!

Replies