Home General Discussion

The Interview Process

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
acealmighty13 polycounter lvl 10
I'm not too sure where I should post this, if this needs to be moved, so be it.

I've recently started turning in my resume into companies looking for environment artists. I am constantly working on my portfolio or doing something to improve my work. The one thing I've yet to go through is the interview for a company looking to hire. For those that have been interviewed, is it any different than any other industry? Is there something I should be preparing for? I'm confident in what I can do and provide but afraid that my communication skills for interviews might not be the greatest. My lack of experience in the industry has probably had an impact too. But my time will come. :-)

For those that have given interviews, what do you look for? I've given job interviews before but far and few between. I have a vague idea but going on twelve years without being on the receiving end of an interview, I could use some advice.

Thank you in advance for any information that may help me out. :-)

Replies

• MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Boiled down it's basically a test to find out if:

- you're intelligent and not an airhead or mentally disabled

- can verbally express yourself in the main language(s) of the studios you're applying for

- you're not an asshole (or to put it another way, you project a favorable impression upon your interviewers so they'll feel that they can work with you)

I've worked with artists where English is not there first language, they have thick accents and all and yet they passed the interview stage.

If you feel you need to prepare, get ready to discuss:

- your portfolio and past work experiences (if available)

- career goals

- why are you applying at specific studio (obviously you're not gonna give impression they're just a stepping stone type of studio for you even if that's your real plan)

- how much you want for salary (interviewers may bring it up or not)
  • acealmighty13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I kind of figured that might be the case and having time to think about how an interview might go, my confidence in what I can do, I believe I'll do well. Just one of those things I've yet to experience and getting into my own head I fear the worst sometimes. I went through your list and I can answer honestly and confidently in what I want.

You may have an answer for this as well, I can probably assume with more popular companies, hearing back for a possible interview might take a while longer. I put my resume in for a job at such a company that isn't asking for prior experience and I consider myself a possibility for the spot. Which had me create this thread to get an understanding of that process. I've tried to keep in touch via email, to let them know HOW interested I am in the position.
  • Eric Chadwick
  • acealmighty13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We have more info here, worth a read.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry#Interviews

Thank you for this. I didn't even think to check the wiki.
  • Brometheous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brometheous polycounter lvl 7
    Well, the first thing is that you are sending your portfolio to companies you want to work for and your portfolio matches. Perspective employers can smell a mile away someone who isn't excited about a genre/art style. So if you love mmo's or rpg's, don't apply for a military fps.
    Second, just be passionate and energetic. Keep your portfolio cranking with new stuff that shows you are driven and excited about what you do.
    Thirdly, be patient, the interview process at some video game studios can take months!
    DM if you need more help. You got this!