Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Correct way to unwrap a gun with symmetry?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Jaston3D polycounter lvl 8
Okay so I have my highpoly and lowpoly of a gun modeled. So basically my question is what would the normal workflow be from here with the symmetry modifiers and unwrapping? do you just collapse them and proceed normally? or is there a way to unwrap one side and then have the other side be overlapping its corresponding part on the texture sheet? Thanks for any insight or help!

Replies

• Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and for anyone curious here's a low res image of what i'm working on

7ePGqhB.jpg
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also just making sure i'm unwrapping right but your supposed to have parts that are 90 degree angles not touching the other side of the angle on the texture sheet right? whats the rules on hard edges and how your supposed to put them on the uv sheet?
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    yes extreme angles should be separated in different uv chunks.

The easiest way to uv something with symmetry is to delete the one side that has symmetry (the part that you want the uvs to overlap in the end). With only the unique areas present (other parts deleted) unwrap as normal. Then when you are finished unwrapping AND packing (remember if you auto pack or somthing it will move the overlaping bits and place them seperatly) Then simply mirror the geo back so it looks correct. That's it man, its pretty simple.