Home General Discussion

new tech on the horizon to end Wacom monopoly?

weee
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
weee polycounter lvl 3
http://www.sensel.com/

demonstration on potential use
http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/25/9201149/sensel-morph-pressure-sensitive-trackpad-kickstarter

very gimmicky and rough at the moment but i see bright future

Replies

• Ispheria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ispheria polycounter lvl 3
    That's interesting, but I don't see myself picking one up unless they make a pen that goes with it so that it'll work like an Intuos.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Apple patented the pressure sensitive mouse last year. Between all my custom button mappings and the superior one handed speed I have with viewport navigation... If I had pressure sensitivity for my mouse ( or mousepad ) in PC I would probably never reach for my pen again.
  • naturon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This actually looks really great, I'd love to be able to customise a layout for various programs and uses
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah I can totally see that working in cintiq form... (im joking).
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    It looks like they are using the pad with the hand hovering and only the brush touching. I couldnt work like that for hours on end. I also cant see the advantage of using this over a relatively inexpensive master keyboard controller. If you play piano it is even a great help to get more expensive controller keyboards that have a piano feel.

Looks interesting though
  • weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    some fancy physically based brush engine can really make this thing shine, that's one of the first things pops into my head, recognizing which part is user's hand while holding some tools might not be easy though.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    sensel.2x519.gif

make it big enough and cheap enough and able to sense input before it touches down. and sure!

EDIT:Oh there's a video too...

https://vimeo.com/134793889

Ok i think this may work out well...

@kanga it seems he has his hand resting on the pad in the video above. I think palm rejection could work here.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    iadagraca wrote: »
    ...able to sense input before it touches down...

And there you have the downside to this method :)
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    And there you have the downside to this method :)

Give me one the size of an 8x10 sketchbook and make it easy to layer paper on top off and i can work with it.
  • Kridian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kridian polycounter lvl 14
    Competition... goooood.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    the paper over top of the surface would be amazing. but, it makes me wonder.... the images they showed of people drawing on it, their hand wasnt pressed down on it. if it goes by any touch, would your hand fuck things up if you were drawing on the left side of it?

It's also hard to imagine this taking down wacom, when the kickstarter only asks for 60k. I dunno. Seems like it has limitations, but i will admit, it's peaked my interests.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Isn't there way too few sensors to do any detail tracking? and that's why they use a brush etc. might be something in the future though.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    no 'palm rejection' for lack of a better word. A lot of these new technologies look great in videos but when it comes to real world usage, it's ehhh. But we'll see, it's pretty early.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i don't see why it couldn't work like palm rejection on a touchscreen or track pad. Granted it may work for a pencil but not for a brush but i don't know anyone who would rest their hand while using a brush though.

as for there being too few sensors, the representation of that brush on the display is huge, maybe they're smaller than we think?

Only thing i'm worried about is if the surface feels really soft, that'd be uncomfortable to draw on.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Time to buy two of these, and play flight sim, like, star citizen !!! Who needs a joystick anymore.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca wrote: »
    i don't see why it couldn't work like palm rejection on a touchscreen or track pad. Granted it may work for a pencil but not for a brush but i don't know anyone who would rest their hand while using a brush though.

as for there being too few sensors, the representation of that brush on the display is huge, maybe they're smaller than we think?

Only thing i'm worried about is if the surface feels really soft, that'd be uncomfortable to draw on.

They look fairly large, in terms for drawing with precision at least. They'd be interpolating between the neighbors anyway, so it's hard to say what kind of precision you get. I'm a little iffy on the brush thing, the guy seems impressed with their visualization tool without actually being able to use it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/26uzehvufms5uqg/SenselSensors.jpg?dl=0 (i forgot how to get a dropbox image to link correctly)

This looks hella cool either way, I love the concept. I wonder if it could be done on a squishier surface, or a hemisphere?
  • myclay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myclay polycounter lvl 10
    I think if they would just combine the sensel touch technology
    with one of those flexible screens, you would then be much closer to having a rival for the market leader.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU0hb-2Srj4[/ame]