Home Technical Talk

Am I right for hating bloom?

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
Everytime I tell myself "maybe I shouldn't make this thread", I find some new example somewhere on the internet that tells me "no, there's something really bad about bloom".

Bloom isn't new of course, it's been used as early as the PS2 days. But I can't shake this feeling that after reading Marmoset's article on PBR and doing tons of personal photography, that the bloom found in games just make things look more unrealistic then things really should be.

Here's an example. I was browsing 4gamer and came across a tech article for a new game. But look.

HkwVcxT.jpg

She's glowing! Now, why I mentioned PBR and photography in the beginning, I feel like bloom is somehow screwing with the materials.

When her whole body glows like that, it makes me think her clothes are actually made of metal or something. Because no way normal clothing is that reflective/shiny to expose a whole picture like that.

Here's an example of a real photo that doesn't show any signs of that.

mjw8sq9.jpg

But it's not just lit materials I feel bloom is wrong, but also light sources themselves.

0tq45kA.jpg

When taken by a decent camera, none of that craziness is present. Yet some games treat lightsources like they're suppose to be super bright as shit.

hwSKCZT.jpg

So now I ask, has there been any real discussion within tech circles about whether bloom is actual good or bad for making convincing images or if it can still be improved? Because now I feel I'm at a point where I just want to turn it off completely.

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    This is not connected to PBR at all, nor to materials. Only to pixel brightness. Its a post process effect, so its an artistic thing. Bloom is exaggerated in a lot of games, sometimes its way too exaggerated but it can add to the final image depending on what look you are aiming. It can be a part of the style.

To me the bloom is something like when you adjust the exposure settings and get burnt in bright colors. Also, you see "bloom" with your eyes if you look at something bright.

If you like super realistic images then turn it off.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    As a personal choice I am not a fan of too much bloom however a little bit here and there as long as it is not over done can be nice.
  • echofourpapa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    echofourpapa polycounter lvl 4
    For things like looking into a light(car headlights at night, for example) bloom is nice for.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    My question is, are you measuring compared to an image that made with camera, or to how you see with your eye? Because you definitely see bloom in the real life. Think of when you are going out into sunlight from a dark house. It gets reduced after time, but its there.

Also I took a look at some photos and there is bloom on some of them, especially in out of focus places. I'm not really familiar with photography so I can't explain this, and don't know why its there, I just noticed it.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Obscura wrote: »
    My question is, are you measuring compared to an image that made with camera, or to how you see with your eye? Because you definitely see bloom in the real life. Think of when you are going out into sunlight from a dark house. It gets reduced after time, but its there.

Both.

Exposure definitely exists. But I don't feel like that means objects/light sources are forced to turn glowy like in my game examples (this is where bloom comes in and I feel makes it worse).

Even the worst over exposed photos that turn up on on google image search doesn't show people glowing like the sun. But just really white backgrounds with still visible subjects.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bloom mimics the way light is dispersed by a dirty camera lens.

In many games it is way overdone, but if done right it can add a nice softness to the image that you can't really get otherwise.

I don't have an exact comparison handy, but here's an example with no bloom on the right, and some bloom on the left. Not an exact on/off comparison, lots of other changes here too. But hopefully this shows what a little bloom can do.
    mmo_speechlessmountain_comparison_01.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    To be fair, this effect can be overdone with real life photography as well.

35mm-gg-png.png

Therefore I would say that yes, it is often overdone in games - but the effect itself is not to blame, just the use of it. "Blaming bloom" would be like stating that a given Photoshop blending mode is "wrong".

You can look up MGSV as an example of a game that looks razor sharp but also very convincing lighting wise.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another comparison, using the Unity demo scene. Only change is the bloom. I like how it subtly softens the edges of bright surfaces, but doesn't hit you over the head with it. Especially where the roofs and terrain touch the sky, but also on the green ground and the sunlit buildings.

FlbTDAB.jpg
  • aharmlesspie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bloom isn't about the brightness of a light, but rather the amount of particles in the air. Think of a light source on a foggy night vs a clear night. I agree that a lot of games overuse the effect though.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    A lot of games overuse it, and make not-so-bright things blow out. But it's a great effect when used correctly, and it can add a lot of life to a scene.

You're not right for hating bloom; but you're right for hating the bloom-er.
  • Xizu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really disliked it in Oblivion. As well as HDR. HDR in photos also always looks gimmicky to me.

Maybe we need to work on displays with more bit depth and actual higher dynamic range, as opposed to faking it with effects.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    ...Yeah, bloom is generally way, way OTT in games. :(
  • Demno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Demno polycounter lvl 6
    Bloom can sometimes save vfx. Bright stuff like fire can really get glued together by a good helping of glowy goodness.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bloom in games isn't really based on any sort of physical or optical camera effect. It's a simple post process that works by creating a copy of the rendered frame, blurring it, and then adding it back on top (usually resulting in bright areas becoming brighter).

Pior's example image is using a diffraction filter which indiscriminately softens the image and reduces contrast, the end result is vaguely similar to a bloom post process, but it's not how bloom shaders typically work.

Bloom does not mimic a dirty camera lens. Dirt on a lens will generally only be visible certain circumstances, and will show up as dark spots, or as grimy detail when the lens hits a bright light source direct on. Dirt and even extensive damage to a lens can have relatively little effect on the resulting image: http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html

Bloom does not mimic lens flare either, which is an effect based on directional light sources hitting the surface of the lens at specific angles, and has various interesting effects, including cool shapes and an overall reduction in contrast. See: https://vimeo.com/23687553

What about this?
    headlights1.jpg
    What we see here is a combination of lens flare and volumetric fog effects. Yet again, not really bloom.

One physical effect that does resemble the bloom we see in games is what happens when you get moisture/fog in your lens:
    5015726711_20fb8f7d34_b.jpg
    However, I'm not sure why anyone would want to mimic this effect, and I doubt the goal with bloom is to do so.

If the goal is realism, bloom as it is commonly used in games makes little logical sense. It makes bright surfaces brighter even when the values are not actually that bright, like brightly colored clothing, bright paint colors, etc.

I think the only sensible use of bloom is to use a HDR brightness value, for instance, if values over .7 or so trigger the bloom effect, what you'll get is anything remotely bright glowing like a light source, which is simply illogical and does not happen with traditional photography or human eyes. If you use an HDR value, and say, only apply bloom to pixel values of 4 or brighter, then you can use it to make bright light sources glow, which has more of a basis in reality (though even here, a realistic lens flare effect would probably make more sense).

So here is an image to illustrate what I'm talking about:
    bloom.jpg

Top: no bloom
    Mid: bloom value adjusted so that normal bright surfaces do not bloom out, while very bright light sources (HDR values over 1) do.
    Bottom: bloom applied to everything indiscriminately, a white painted surface looks as bright as a light source that is many magnitudes brighter.
  • echofourpapa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »

What we see here is a combination of lens flare and volumetric fog effects. Yet again, not really bloom.

I think the only sensible use of bloom is to use a HDR brightness value, for instance, if values over .7 or so trigger the bloom effect, what you'll get is anything remotely bright glowing like a light source, which is simply illogical and does not happen with traditional photography or human eyes. If you use an HDR value, and say, only apply bloom to pixel values of 4 or bright, then you can use it to make bright light sources glow, which has more of a basis in reality (though even here, a realistic lens flare effect would probably make more sense).

Wouldn't using bloom be more efficient, especially with multiple lights(or emission textures), than volumetric fog and lens flares?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wouldn't using bloom be more efficient, especially with multiple lights(or emission textures), than volumetric fog and lens flares?

Yes, and that's why bloom is typically used. Not because it mimics a specific physical/optical phenomenon, but simply because it is cheap to render.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't forget the ol' 'Vasaline on the lens trick' to give the scene a dreamy effect.
    https://zarahdelhi.wordpress.com/2013/07/12/vintage-camera-effect/
    2.jpg

It's a stylistic choice that can really set the mood.
    I typically only like using Bloom on VFX or emmissive lights. Using bloom on regular cotton clothing makes no sense to me outside the context of a dream sequence.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vasaline on a lens is similar, but you don't see the "bloom" like effect in all situations.

4.jpg

From the same site, with more neutral lighting the effect is much less pronounced, whereas with bloom, it's pretty much always on. Bloom is a very simple effect and can't account for the direction of light rays/flare which is a primary component of this look.

It's worth noting that you can get a similar effect without any special filters, because again, the flare and lighting are the primary components:

8114823535_697ef2c159_b.jpg

Random image, you can find many more portraits in this style if you look taken with standard equipment. The flare reduces contrast as the light rays bounce around inside the lens, and the hair appears to glow not because of bloom or other special effects, but because hair is translucent/the significant difference in brightness values from the lit and shadowed side of the subject. A proper lens flare effect can give this look even when the light source is off screen, which is a nice bonus and something bloom can't do because it's a screen-space effect.

It's also worth mentioning that actually photographing this look requires being in a very specific spot with very specific lighting, in most lighting setups in games you would see this type of look probably less than 1% of the time, which makes the use of bloom to mimic this as a constant effect all the more illogical.
    I typically only like using Bloom on VFX or emmissive lights. Using bloom on regular cotton clothing makes no sense to me outside the context of a dream sequence.

That's what it comes down to for me as well.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Bloom in my mind, is basically just a hack to simulate volumetric lighting in a very primitive way.

you're neither right or wrong to dislike bloom... it has been used to great effect in some games. but as Joe mentions it holds no real basis in reality, and it's easy to use it wrong and get bad results.
  • Neoekamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neoekamp polycounter lvl 5
    Come on, he wasn't that bad as Legolas.

But seriously, I prefer more subtle integrations of it. It was terrrrible early last gen, but I think its mellowed out by now. (Sorry dont have any examples ATM)
  • jeffdr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffdr polycounter lvl 11
    I agree here. Bloom gets way overused, mostly because its practitioners haven't thought much about why (if ever) it actually occurs in real life. As EQ points out, "bloom" is NOT the same thing as lens flares or volumetric effects. This is often a point of confusion.

Bloom occurs from light scattering either on the lens (humidity, dust, scratches, etc), or leaking light across the sensor/retina. Human eyes do this, this is why the sun "blooms" in your eye.

But all of this is fairly uncommon, except for very bright sources of light, and so overplaying the levels really only looks like the vaseline lens case, making it an almost purely stylistic choice. And as with all things purely stylistic, it's going to be hard not to abuse it.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It may be important to note that when Jeff speaks of bloom in this context he's talking about it from a physics perspective, where bloom is diffusion of light and flare is reflection of light. In the following image, the glow around the sun would be bloom, while the repetitive shapes are ghosting from light reflected internally through the lens elements (lens flares).

flare-76254.jpg

In photographic terms, both phenomena are typically refereed to as one effect: lens flare.
  • echofourpapa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    It may be important to note that when Jeff speaks of bloom in this context he's talking about it from a physics perspective, where bloom is diffusion of light and flare is reflection of light. In the following image, the glow around the sun would be bloom, while the repetitive shapes are ghosting from light reflected internally through the lens elements (lens flares).

flare-76254.jpg

In photographic terms, both phenomena are typically refereed to as one effect: lens flare.

That would explain why Unity's bloom effect also has lens flares. Huh, thank you.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    To me bloom is all about perceptual brightness and increasing the dynamic range that a frame can represent. Monitors only go from black to white and if you want to depict something higher than white, you're screwed unless you can increase the exposure of the camera or use bloom. Exposure increases run the risk of making the dark areas of an image too dark to see, and make the entire image look darker rather than making the bright spots look brighter. Using some bloom (but not too much) can make it possible to depict bright spots in a way that makes sense given the medium.

I'll agree wholeheartedly that Oblivion's bloom looked pretty dumb. That's definitely something that you want to stay away from, and there are other games that definitely overdid bloom and lens flares, even going all the way back to Lego Racers 2. Just like any postprocessing, especially with game engines, it's better to use it sparingly and constantly question whether you're actually improving the quality of the image.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I'll agree wholeheartedly that Oblivion's bloom looked pretty dumb. That's definitely something that you want to stay away from

I'll hold the apparently controversial opinion that I loved/love the bloom in Oblivion, and I feel like it added to the mystical feel of the world it took place in. It's one of the games I think it worked for.

Also, Oblivion is old enough that I feel the bloom actually made it feel more advanced, graphically, than it really was.
  • Neoekamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neoekamp polycounter lvl 5
    Joopson wrote: »
    I'll hold the apparently controversial opinion that I loved/love the bloom in Oblivion, and I feel like it added to the mystical feel of the world it took place in. It's one of the games I think it worked for.

Also, Oblivion is old enough that I feel the bloom actually made it feel more advanced, graphically, than it really was.

resized_ScreenShot607.jpg

So mystic. Much advanced.

Sorry I had to.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Haha, that's true; there were a lot of moments like that. But for every moment like that, there was a moment like this:

NJ7NA0N.jpg
  • Nox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5