Home General Discussion

Any suggestions on staying in shape?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
RaptorCWS polycounter lvl 11
After college i started gaining wait since all i did was work on my portfolio for a year, and now that i am 3 months in on a job at a game studio i still cant find time to exercise. any suggestions on how to stay in shape? I went from an active lifestyle in college walking everywhere to a sedimentary one (walking to and from work is not an option)

Replies

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Make time to exercise.

If you start work at 10, wake up at 7am and go to the gym before work. Do that tuesday and thursday. On monday, wednesday, friday, do personal work from 7am to work start to stay on schedule. Then go either Sat or Sun.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Cut out food high in sugar, count calories, try to walk/run 30 minutes a day.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    beefaroni wrote: »
    If you start work at 10, wake up at 7am and go to the gym before work. Do that tuesday and thursday. On monday, wednesday, friday, do personal work from 7am to work start to stay on schedule.

That sounds awful. I'd be way more likely to exercise after work, personally. The last thing I want to do is wake up at 7am.

Instead of getting lunch out every day, if you do, start bringing in healthier foods, even though they're boring. Or if you live near a deli or a wholefoods, you could get a healthy vegetarian wrap made or something to bring for lunch; or even chicken, as long as it's mostly green.

Most importantly, don't sit the whole day, if you can avoid it. Get up and walk around a little every hour.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    RaptorCWS wrote: »
    After college i started gaining wait since all i did was work on my portfolio for a year, and now that i am 3 months in on a job at a game studio i still cant find time to exercise. any suggestions on how to stay in shape? I went from an active lifestyle in college walking everywhere to a sedimentary one (walking to and from work is not an option)
    Totally happened to me as well. Cutting down on the dunkin donuts coffee seems to be helping, as well as doing some laps swimming after work (IMO swimming is one of my favorite ways to stay in shape: it can be fun and relaxing, you don't feel all sweaty, burns a lot of calories, and works out every muscle in your body)

If you're not going to exercise I guess you'll just have to eat super-healthy. Honestly though I feel that (at least for me) exercising, running, or swimming is the only way to stay in good shape when trying to be like I was in college while still enjoying soda and steak. (I walked aaaaalooooot due to it being a huge freaking University and my art classes being on the other side of campus from my gen eds and dorms.

Sitting 7-12+ hours at a computer everyday is bound to wreck havok on your body if you don't do anything before or after to help. I know my mother sometimes squeezes in a walk during lunch time to keep her weight in check.

Worst comes to worst, develop a vigorous shaky leg syndrome while sitting at the PC.
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    Great advice from everyone here.
    But anyway you can always find time:P, just gotta do what works for you. I usually stay home and just do 16mins a day 6 days a week(taking the 7th day off to let your muscles rest n grow i guess).

Warm up stretches , 50 push-ups , Barbell squats(start off with regular squats first, and if you want you can move to barbell but they aren't mandatory), sit-ups, In the morning when i get up, takes around 8mins for all of that, and the same thing in the evening.

One week I'll do small push-ups, then wide ones next week, same with crunches n sit-ups. I started off with 15 and worked up to more. I plan to start running soon.

But yeah man, just do what you can. No need to look like the hulk or a model lol.