Home Technical Talk

Conform one mesh over another mesh

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Three65 polycounter lvl 6
Hey Everyone,
I am kind of crowd sourcing ideas on how to accomplish a task I have at hand. Here is the run down, I have a client who produces vinyl graphics for UTV's and would like to be able to do some renders of the graphics on a 3D model of the UTV itself. I have been given the templates that are actual spline paths of the cut files they use for the graphics to build the UTV plastic with. Ive did my best to model the plastic body parts but now I need to conform the actual spline cut paths of the graphics onto the plastic parts in 3DS Max. So far I have tried the following.

1.Splitting the splines along the paths they bend at, moving the pivot to the edge of the bend and rotating it, then welding the verts back together.

2.Using the compound conform modifier to conform it to the body, this works somewhat but since some of the bends are more complex then just one direction its a bit unpredictable.

3.Importing both meshes into Zbrush and using the matchmover brush, this also has ok results but still hard to predict how it will conform over multiple bends.

Here is what I am going to try next!

1. Perhaps use the bend modifier and line it up with the axis of the bends then bend into place.

2. Try making the decal a cloth of some sort and see how it falls over the plastic.

If anyone has any insight on how to do this I would appreciate any help or suggestions on what I can try. I just need to conform it to the plastic without changing the original mesh size or shape.

Thanks for taking the time to read this or respons.

Replies