Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Small stylized village

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Spoon polycounter lvl 11
Latest:

casper-wermuth-post-1.jpg?1442512507

Hi PC,

I started by doing the "post office", which is the center building in this shot. Then wanted to do an environment for it.
The original building is a concept by Sidxartxa. Rest is just stuff I made up.
It's still WIP, vegetation is just a gradient except leaves, which also has an alpha and normal.

Next step is to create a building for the lower left corner, perhaps a tavern, as a friend suggested, and blocking out some other views as well. Then filling in stuff that it looks a bit more lived in.

I wanted to start this thread for keeping track of my progress, and for you guys to be able to tip in with feedback early, as it has always been very valuable in other cases :)

I'm going for something simple, where most textures are a flat or a gradient, with subtle details - at least as it is now :)

Any and all suggestions and feedback are very welcome.
rmuFdZc.png

Replies

• Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    Add more variation to road. I know its moslty flat color, cause its stylised, but you need to build up contrast.

Overall i really like it.
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    I really like the overall look so far and can't wait to see an update and maybe some different angles! sub'd
    Lovely stye.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Yes, another road texture is on my list, perhaps along with small puddles.

Thanks a lot, both of you. It's very motivating for me to hear! :)
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Tried expanding a bit. The other shots arent as good at all, I feel.

How create do you guys go with lighting outdoors? I SHOULD be sticking to just the sun, but many areas are so dark, im thinking of cheating - just afraid it will be too visible :p
    Or maybe it will help when I do a lightbake that isnt very low settings.

Now the sexy tree trunk texture is also visible :D
    It's just a wip/test texture, for the people wondering :)

Looking at it now, it actually became worse since my last update..

TswkIOZ.jpg

Upyu4OG.jpg

GFNgtR7.jpg
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    It's not done yet, but need a break from it.

casper-wermuth-post-2.jpg?1442512509
    casper-wermuth-post-3.jpg?1442512511

casper-wermuth-post-4.jpg?1442512513

casper-wermuth-post-1.jpg?1442512507
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    I absolutely love the mood you've gotten here. The birch trunk textures are looking super nice too. Not sure I'm sold on the curly bits of the grass? I feel like they are adding unnecessary noise/busy-ness in a place that's already fairly busy, but I'd be curious to hear what other people think about that because I also think they're really unique.
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    nice mood :thumbup:
  • St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
  • floon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    No construtive feedback from me sorry :(
    I just really enjoy looking at it, as others already have stated "great mood"!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I like it a lot, I feel like the main building could use a little more colour and the foliage less contrast. Right now the brownish foliage and trees are really popping off the screen but thats not what you want the player to look at is it?
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Looks very cool! I think the cards on the tree to the right of the building could use some tweaks with placement. The other trees however are reading a lot better.
  • clinington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington polycounter lvl 10
    I think the cards on the tree to the right of the building could use some tweaks with placement.
    Agree. Also, if I'm super picky I think the fan of the windmill could be rotated to a bit of an angle. Other than that it is looking great! :D There really is a lovely 'mood'.
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    lovely. I like the moood with the nice lighting and fog.
    Only the trees look at bit billboardy.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Carabiner wrote: »
    I absolutely love the mood you've gotten here. The birch trunk textures are looking super nice too. Not sure I'm sold on the curly bits of the grass? I feel like they are adding unnecessary noise/busy-ness in a place that's already fairly busy, but I'd be curious to hear what other people think about that because I also think they're really unique.

Thanks a lot, Carabiner. I also wasnt sure of them, but felt I needed to add some blue to the grass. Perhaps a simple flower would have been better
    amirabd2130
    nice mood
    Thanks!
    St4lis
    lovely

Thanks!
    floon
    No construtive feedback from me sorry
    I just really enjoy looking at it, as others already have stated "great mood"!
    Thanks a lot, Floon, thats great to hear :)
    Ged
    I like it a lot, I feel like the main building could use a little more colour and the foliage less contrast. Right now the brownish foliage and trees are really popping off the screen but thats not what you want the player to look at is it?

I absolutely agree. It looked better on lower bake settings :p But my computer isnt exceptionally strong, so baking this environment took me 2,5d on production setting, even with production size lightmaps, so I simply dont have the patience to tweak it. Ideally the trees would have much much less of a shadow gradient, and the grass would blend more together, to create more of a soft sheet of color, just like you say :)
    BradMyers82
    Looks very cool! I think the cards on the tree to the right of the building could use some tweaks with placement. The other trees however are reading a lot better.
    Yeah you are right, that one specifically pops out. Thanks! :)
    clinington
    Agree. Also, if I'm super picky I think the fan of the windmill could be rotated to a bit of an angle. Other than that it is looking great! There really is a lovely 'mood'.
    Thanks a lot, clinington. Oh yeah, think it still is in "t-pose" :P
    defragger
    lovely. I like the moood with the nice lighting and fog.
    Only the trees look at bit billboardy.
    Thanks a lot! Do you have any tips on how to make them less so?
    I struggle to keep a fluffy silhouette while reducing billboardsness.
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jsargent polycounter lvl 5
    I rally like this, personally though I preferred what you were doing with the lighting and colours earlier. I liked having more saturation in the foreground and going to that more desaturated/blue colour in the distance. Maybe you could push it a littler more in that direction again? For the trees you could try the normal thief plugin, it will help with the normals on your tree cards. I'm also not a fan of the curly blue grass. Lovely so far though :)
  • jsargent
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    Nice job. The birch trees may be my favorite part. Definitely has a calming mood.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Jsargent - Thanks, I actually also preferred those colors more, but didnt even noticed they gradually changed when I worked on it, until I posted it here, seeing them side by side.
    And thanks for the vertex normal links. I am using it on the trees (unless it broke somewhere) but I think my main problem with it is the ambient occlusion effect on them, when the lighting is baked. Perhaps I can reduce ao in the shader? Or how would you suggest I do?

aaronmwolford Thanks a lot, Aaron, that exactly the mood I want to convey :)

All these comments gives motivation to work on it again, hopefully I can get time in the coming weeks to apply all your valuable feedback :)
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    After a break doing a few other assets, I returned to just fix a few minor things that were bothering me. Will most likely leave it here.

Incredibly shitty textures :p
  • Cactus on Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cactus on Fire polycounter lvl 10
    That looks pretty cute. The fog fits pretty nicely as well.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I like it! Very unique.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks a lot, guys! :)
  • Kel-Shaded
    Options