Home Technical Talk

Blender -> FBX -> xNormal animated explode bake: xN not accepting shape key pos?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Neoekamp polycounter lvl 5
Wow, what a long title...

So I'm making an exploded mesh for baking in xNormal, with the method of pulling elements apart in an animation, by either:

*Moving whole objects. My hi-poly is separated into objects and uses this method.

*Moving elements and giving them a shape key, then animating the value. I did this with my low-poly, which is a single object (figures it would be much cleaner to export plus a pain in the butt to detach them all after UV mapping everything)

I select each correct frame at their exploded and non-exploded state, exporting to FBX making sure Baked Animation is unchecked.

It's working great for the mesh that's object-separated, but the one I used shape keys not so much. When I load the FBX into xNormal's Viewer, it just displays the 1st frame and not the one I had selected. I tried re-exporting with a bunch of different settings, no luck.

To make sure I wasn't going crazy, I re-imported the afflicted FBX into a new Blender scene, and it looks fine! It's at the right frame and everything! Ehhhh??

Also exports fine with OBJ, but eh don't really wanna do OBJ

Why isn't xNormal taking my model in correctly? If there's anything dumb I'm forgetting, please let me know!

Not sure if images are necessary, wouldn't really show anything in particular.