Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

[Weekly Theme 2] Locomotion

Hey guys, new week, new theme!

This weeks theme (as suggested by Slipsius) is LOCOMOTION.

Tips for embedding videos into your post - Click HERE

I'm going to be using the Centaur rig from Dota. I started on the basic motion today but not enough to justify an upload so here's just a pretty picture.

lU2y7yh.png

Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!

Replies

• Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    nice, I planned to use the same rig. Hopefully I'll get one cycle out by end of the week... a tad busy in regular job.
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    I wasn't able to participate in last weeks challenge, but I figured I'd pop into this one as it fits in with my current work.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuzbJhOLl78[/ame]

The robot still needs some work, but it's a start.
  • Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    nice! that looks fun to animate :O and hard D:! good luck to everyone to this new challenge

@ Anthony , the video is private and can't see it :/
  • JennyS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone, I was watching last week's thread and decided to hop in with this one! Today was mostly spent on watching reference and planning, because I've never done a spidery multilegged walk before, but I'd like to push myself a little.

Using this DOTA rig:

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-17%20at%206.00.13%20PM_zps9ofddixa.png

@anthony Haha, nice! I love the idea of putting one of the imp rigs on top of the bird and making its body react to the bird's bounce!
  • Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    Hello! I decided to do a creature :)

Here is my blocking , I think that I will tone down things like the hands D: and [FONT=&quot]definitely [/FONT]the head, still no animation in the extras like the tail , head tails ( what?) and face.
    [vv]136589808[/vv]

@ Anthony , they look good!I suggest you make longer the video D: is super fast
  • _adamturnbull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great to see more people getting involved. I should have an update either later today or tomorrow.

@Anthony - Nice work, love the guy bouncing on the bird. There seems to be a harsh leg snap on the bird as his legs go back.

@Arturow - Great start! The only thing I noticed was that the back feet land very flat. The front arms look great though! Looking forward to seeing the end result.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    joJOJOJOJO!

Alright Im getting in on this. Been working on this guy. Cloth/Cape needs some love as do the hands and the transitions between starts and stops.

lets dooo this!
    ee3b68d8d26885dea2eaa99bc569a811.gif

8992a38210e4300eeb0319c5dbcdc850.gif

c0b371f168d9d1429f348cbcf8d8ff67.gif
  • _adamturnbull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've made a start, still a few problems with it but its getting there.

[vv]136714871[/vv]

@heboltz3 - Nice man, like the walk so far but his hips move a bit too much when he starts and again when he stops (I know you said you're working on the transition)
  • LeeMeredith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LeeMeredith polycounter lvl 7
    Here's my run, the rig/model is in pretty bad condition for an ianimate rig, I assume it's really old.

I don't really know if there's a stage after this, I blocked in 5-6 key poses, moved onto adding frames where needed and polished along the way.

[vv]136767574[/vv]
  • kelly.shawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This animation was made in the same week that I did the Idle animation for class that I posted on last weeks theme.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEMlqSken9c[/ame]
  • _adamturnbull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent another hour on it over lunch today, any feedback would be appreciated :)

[vv]136818254[/vv]

@LeeMeredith - Looks good but maybe add some more overlap to his forearms so they lag slightly from his upper arms, same with his hands and head, so everything moves slightly offset from each other

@kelly.shawn - Nice! Love the movement of the pouch bobbing up and down but I think the cape needs to look heavier.
  • LeeMeredith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey _adamturnbull when offsetting keyframes I normally do just 1 frame left or right (and snowball it) Should I be offsetting more than one key initially?

Also mimicking what I once got critique on, the wrist is a tad too swingy, tone it down just a little.

@Kelly.Shawn hey man I'm not feeling a lot of weight from that cycle, maybe bring down the feet a little bit sooner to get less of a slidey feeling and more of an impact.
  • LiamReynolds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LiamReynolds polycounter lvl 3
    @adamturnball - the centaur seems abit bent legged? the legs never really seem to stretch out. first thing i will assume is the rig is not the best :P

I think there could be too much overlap on the hand, its lingering in the floaty realm to me, could also pose the fingers more - more of a clenched fist or arched fingers. There could be room to have the front legs just stay down for 2 or so frames more before peeling off just to give the sense that the back half of him is driving the walk - im not the best at centaur body mechanics haha so im just looking at it from a horse point of view which could be wrong

to me it feels the front half drives everthing, maybe it does in these creatures? like i get the impression the front half has been done like a human and then the back half is trailing along
  • _adamturnbull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeh I see what you mean, thanks guys. Will fix all that stuff tomorrow over lunch! I totally forgot about the fingers too, I haven't touched those yet or his hair.

@Lee - For cycles I normally offset things by a few frames so I can really see the offset, then drag them back until it looks right. With arms especially I always make the forearms lag behind by a few frames (possibly too much on my centaur, haha)
  • derphouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    derphouse polycounter lvl 4
    Did some basic movement for a run I'm working on..

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2IJcEhuyF0[/ame]
  • Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    @ derphouse : nice start ! Maybe it lacks a bit of rotation of the body for the sides, but cool!

@ _adamturnbull: Looking sick man! I remember watching a video that said that a horse walk is like an ostrich walk cycle on the back and a human at the front :P.

@ kelly.shawn : like Lee said, there is almost no weight in the character and I think it moves to much, I suggest you tone down the rotation from the sides to see how it looks . (Remember, just my opinion :P )

@ LeeMeredith: are you going for a humanize robot walk? ( just to know ), it have some pops in the knees and when he goes side by side looks very snappy ( maybe you wanted that effect idk :P ) if it’s a robot I think it’s quite fine that you don't offset the pieces of the arm or maybe just a bit , depends on what you want to accomplish with the character , it’s kind of cute :P

@ heboltz3: jojo! Is the anime good? D:! I think that I must watch it haha. Looks nice! I think the upper body looks strange when the makes the 2 step, like a pop and yeah the transition looks robotic but you said you are working on it :)!
  • Ankheilw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ankheilw polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome work guys! Chiming in with a quick anim I did to test the rig on a new character.

Walk_01.gif
  • Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    wow! what a cute character! hahaha really good cycle :)!
  • JennyS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool work everyone! Here's a quick pass on the Weaver's walk. Still have to fix the arms, and I haven't had a chance to touch his antennae just yet.

[vv]136878577[/vv]

@ derphouse Oh man what a cute character! I think you could push him up and down a little more, because it looks like he's actually airborne at one point in this run cycle, without any of his feet touching the ground. I love his lumbering feel though, that's great.

@ Ankheilw Hey this is cool, I love how solid this guy's footplants feel! The back and forth rhythm and the steps he takes feels really good on the two front legs, but his back screen right leg feels like it's lagging behind the rest of the body and takes a frame or two too long to pick up. It's looking pretty great for quick work though!
  • derphouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Arturow: Thanks! Yeah that makes sense, didn't touch any body rotation, so I'll do that!

@Ankheilw: I like the whole movement and the wobble, but I'd love to see a bit of shake to the feet when they land, just the add a bit more mass to the thumb you got going :D

@JennyS: Thanks! Yeah I think it might have something to do with his current speed being a bit too slow. I used reference of greyhounds, and to my surprise, the front- and back legs are barely ever on the ground at the same time ;D - You have some nice body movement going, but try to delay the cross movement with the legs; So the right front leg doesn't move completely in sync with the left back leg.
  • _adamturnbull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update from me, still need to work on it so will try and fit in an hour or so over the weekend before I post my final version

[vv]136922631[/vv]
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Oh man. some good stuff in here! I cant believe it's already Friday. This work week has been busy busy, so I didnt actually start one... :S

Ankheilw - love the rig and anim! That secondary motion on your metal body is awesome.
  • Ankheilw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Arturow - Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it.
    @JennyS - Great catch, I'll play with that.
    @derphouse - Great idea. I tried to do that on his death animation, but didn't do it here. I'll put some in!
    @slipsius - Thanks!

Great work all of you. Love the motivation and the effort. Keep it up!

@JennyS - I like the timing an the pose of your cycle. I would love to see the footfalls and the lifts be much more powerful and menacing. Lifting the leg high and slaming it down might play to the visuals of the character. Also, maybe a little more rocking (front to back rotation) might give you some extra weight to the character. Overall, great first pass.

@_adamturnbull - Sorry I'm late to the game on the feedback for your Centaur. Love the subtle motion he has. One thing I think he could use is a little more weight overall. He has such a massive silhouette, I would want him to have more heft to his up and down motion. One thing I've seen horse do is stay elevated through most of their walk and then drop suddenly as they transfer weight. This seems to happen a lot when there are riders. That quick up then down motion might give him a good feeling of mass. Overall, great work!
  • Ankheilw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I posted this morning about some locomotion animations from a game we are working on: Creativerse.

We've been trying to give the Mobs in the game more emotional range and personality. One of the ways that we wanted to do that was through the way they move around the world. Here are some examples of the different types of movement from 2 of the creatures in the game: Leafi and Chizzard.

Chizzard:

Regular Walk/Strut:

Chizzard_Walk_011.gif

Happy Walk:

Chizzard_Walk_Happy1.gif

Scared Run:

Chizzard_Run_Scared1.gif

Leafi:

Regular Walk:

Leafi_Walk_01.gif

Happy Walk:

Leafi_Walk_Happy.gif

Scared Run:

Leafi_Run_Scared.gif

The full post is here if you want to see some additional animations:

http://www.lightfiretech.com/Blog/?p=122

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Keep up the great and inspiring work!
  • JennyS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Ankheilw Oh man, thanks for sharing those with us, those are GREAT!! I love the Chizzard's walk, I crack up every time I look at it. Inspiring stuff! Too often I forget to push for personality in my own animations, this was a good reminder. Thanks for the crit too, I'll keep it in mind when I fix it up later today!

@ _adamturnbull Really cool walk! Love the way his shoulders tilt and rotate to give him a little more swagger and strut. I think his back right leg (his right) takes kind of timid steps though, because it doesn't extend as far as the other back leg when stepping forward. It almost looks like he's been hurt on that side and can't fully use that leg, but his weight in the hips doesn't compensate for it. I still really like this though, I've been admiring the subtlety of this walk throughout the week!

@ derphouse Hey, good catch! Thanks for pointing that out, I'll work on that!

I really like this weekly theme idea so far, it's great seeing everyone's work and motivation!
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    damn so much great stuff! I'm in the process of fixing the rig on the DOTA2 centaur, maybe I'll have something by sunday...

@Ankheilw, love those!

@Adam, I treat centaurs as a rider+horse and from that perspective you committed the cardinal sin of animating a horse: making it look like an ostrich and a man linked to together...
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INQx-Lzs8mU[/ame]
    shows the difference really well (even though he mistakenly calls the front leg wrist "knee"), compare the bit around 20sec with the rest of it. The elbow on the front legs doesn't move much if at all, where in a real horse it moves quite a lot because the shoulder pivot is up higher near the base of the neck. Not moving the elbow makes the front wrist look like a human knee, and that is kinds of awkward. Granted the existing rig doesn't make it easy, but this is just one of those things that really bugs me like fingernails across glass.
  • Ankheilw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Hito, love the reference. Richard Williams is amazing. Crazy but amazing!

Got one more for you guys. Just a little stylized walk sequence:

Walk_011.gif
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    What a jolly walk!! Cool stuff @ankheiw!

I think your arcs on the hands (specifically the Left one) could use a bit of love, but thats so nit-picky a I can get with it.

I have to ask as well, which rig is that? Seems like a rad one for these exercises!
  • LeeMeredith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @Ankheilw how long have you been practising animation? there's so much personality in your animations...got any tips to get so much personality crammed in?

@Hito that video was really interesting

@JennyS I'm not feeling any weight from your animation, maybe exaggerate the up and downs, spend more time down and less time up maybe.

Hey guys this is probably the most beginner question ever but how do you work out your frame range? I remember reading 21 frames is the correct amount for a run but my anim just looks stupidly fast with huge spacing issues.
  • Ankheilw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @heboltz3 Thanks! Good advice on the hands. The rig is actually just a character that I put together from parts that is rigged with a Biped rig in Max 2014. I'd love to get some more squash and stretch with it, but that's as far as I can go with Biped. Going to try a few plug-ins that give you stretchy bones on top.

I generally make my own rigs in Maya and I love advance skeleton among others. Thanks for the feedback.
  • Ankheilw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @LeeMeredith, thanks for the kind words, it is greatly appreciated. I've been in the games industry for 16 years come October and I was doing traditional and 3d animation before that in College and high-school.

In terms of personality, it's all about the language that you speak with your poses. Poses, pushed with timing and spacing are, at least in my view, the best way to get personality into a character that doesn't have facial emotions.

Listening to Glen Keane and James Baxter in particular on the Animation Podcast (though they are all amazing) helped me tremendously in getting into the soul and the details of a character. I definitely recommend you listen to those. And, of course, Richard Williams is about as good as it gets in explaining the complexities of giving a character personality.

Other than that, I would just say, don't be afraid to experiment and push your animations in the early pose-to-pose stages.

On the timing question, I have a method that has worked well to help me nail animations early, especially loops like walks or runs. I work out my main poses (golden poses) at the 10 frames, 0, 10, 20, 30, etc. Then I do my breakdowns (strong in-betweens, drags, overlaps, etc.) on the 5's, 5, 15, 25, 35, etc. Once those are all keyed and the poses are strong, I grab all of the controls and start dragging all the keys down, from first to last until the timing feels right. So, a build-up might go from frames 5 and 10 to frames 3 and then 13. So the motion happens slowly to build anticipation. The following poses would then slide in (for the explosive parts like a jump or punch) to frames 15 and 18. That is all timing. Just play with that till it feels right, then get feedback. Once you've nailed that, it's all gravy. Adding in secondary motion, smooth arcs, follow-through etc. is easy once you've worked out the hard parts of the overall motion.

I hope that makes some sense and helps to answer your question. I don't think there is any single frame number to shoot for. Let your character and their personality dictate the timing.

Good luck! Share some of your anims when you get the chance.
  • Spuggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spuggs polycounter lvl 2
    Here's a run cycle. No rider this time, so as not to detract from the main animation.

[vv]136963030[/vv]
  • derphouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ankheilw very personalized walk! Cool! And nice method, but do you adjust curves at any point? Personally I simply end up fiddling with the keyframes because I know I can get it to work, but I'm curious about working more with curves, to avoid the inevitable destructive workflow of all dem' keyframes :D

@Spuggs There is some nice weight going on there! I like the wings. The nose ring feels a bit static though, in its movement. I'd like to see some more reaction to when it falls down, similarly to the tail ring. The right leg is also missing the lift you have on the left leg. Give it some drag, and I think you nailed the weight on that character ;D
  • _adamturnbull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work all! Its been a good week this week. Anyone got any ideas for next week?

@Spuggs - Looks good but there seems to be some snapping on the wing and other parts when he pushes from his right leg.

@Hito - Thanks, yeh I love Richard Williams, his book is great. The rig doesn't offer as much control over the legs and hips as I'd like but its enough for a weekly challenge :) it will be good to see what you come up with and see how you tackled the problems I came across. I'll post a further update of my centaur walk either tomorrow or next week sometime.
  • JennyS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe something from the 51 Animation Exercises? http://www.animation51.com/p/the-idea-behind-this-blog-came-from.html Like examples of overlapping action
  • Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    Here is my next step on the walk cycle!

I feeel that my back legs are so weak, I feel I don't have power over there :l ( I feel that I should speed them up when they are in the air and land sooner), going to fix it tomorrow and add animation to the fingers, head and those tentacles in the head :)

[vv]137041871[/vv]
  • _adamturnbull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This will have to do for me for this week, I'll continue to polish it when I get some free time.

[vv]137065673[/vv]

@Arturow - Nice man! I feel like he should be planting with his toes rather than his heel though, maybe that's just me. Great work though!

@JennyS - People already seem to be displaying examples of overlapping animation so I'm not sure we need to do a week dedicated to it but it could be interesting, or maybe the theme could be something like Attack or something acrobatic which would give more opportunity to show off some overlapping animation?
  • LeeMeredith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @_adamturnbull I like the anim but something feels really odd about the front legs, maybe it's that they stamp down whereas the back legs are quite smoother but I'm not looking at ref so I might be wrong.

Eagerly awaiting for the next challenge, I like the idea of an attack, if you wanted to practice overlap you could use someone like lady squidfingers.
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    roughed out a walk cycle with the centaur. re-rigged it from scratch, the front legs were not set up correctly. Didn't put in time for the overlap stuff.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnzOdNnycuM[/ame]

ref here is very good, walk cycle at 2:50. Video includes a few other gaits except gallop.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4zdTn02PWQ[/ame]

The horse from legs are analogus to human arms. The most obvious joint that looks like the knee is actually the wrist, and the hoof is several fingers fused together. The elbow on the centaur is around the metal spike. If the front legs are treated like human legs, that point doesn't move forward/backward like a human elbow does in the arm swing, it would be as if your elbows were glued to your torso as you are trying to walk, very awkward.

Rear legs' "reverse knee" is actually the ankle. The real knee is at the level of the belly hidden under a lot of muscle. The hip joint is above, little over half way up the abdomen.

watch those landmarks in the ref video and you can see how much the elbow and knees move forward/backward. and how far the hoofs reach forward in each step.
  • penOr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    (no delete function?)
  • Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    Polishing of the walk , I still going to polish the fingers in it since I want it to be a piece of my reel :)! I don't know why my <--- back leg fingers are twisting like that :l , I will try to contact the one who made the rig if there is a solution D:!

@ _adamturnbull : thanks! that helped =)!

@ Hito : that's an amazing video :O thanks! your walk is going to look good when you get that overlap ;O!

@ Spuggs: that looks nice ;O! but I think that you left 1 frame behind in the video , his <-- leg seems to jump 1 frame and the other no , kind of strange o. O ( I wish I knew about wyverns locomotion)
    [vv]137098412[/vv]
  • derphouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice week! And looking good all around!

I could probably tweak some more things, but here's where I ended up with my piece.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ed3xZq0WkU[/ame]

@Arturow: It might be the angle, but the left bag leg seems to have more weight on the lift than the right? - And I think this might just be my eyes, but I feel like there's a tiny amount of sliding going on :D .. like something is not in sync, but I was rubbing my eyes several times, so not sure if there's any truth to that, haha.. Otherwise very nice weight on the whole upper body!
  • Hirnwirbel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hirnwirbel polycounter lvl 3
    @Arturow: I think the only problem there is that the front legs are making bigger steps than the back legs, causing some sliding and giving the back legs that weak and floaty appearance.

Look at the frames in your video where both the left front leg and the right back leg are down. Logically, with both being on the ground and no sliding going on, the distance between them would have to stay the same. Yet a couple of frames later, when the front leg lifts off, the distance has visibly decreased.
  • Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    @ derphouse : Thanks a lot dude! and yeah maybe is the angle of the body rotation that give you that impression :P! I already checked it and its 100% the same to both sides :)! but yeah I think still needs help on the back legs like Hirnwirbel says D: about the sliding I think you are right D: I will tone down the X trans or something like that , the way they are landing feels strange! Thanks again :)!

Yours looks amazing!! It’s really cute! My only critique is that the video is too dark :P!!

@ Hirnwirbel: Thanks!!! I will make the changes to see how it looks because yeah I feel the back legs don't support all the weight or are so weak, thanks a lot for the critique and I will try my best to make it better :)!!! Maybe I will land sooner but I will try to slide them the same distance as you said :)