Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Markov's Miscellenia

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Markovnikov polycounter lvl 6
Hello, all! Fairly new to this sort of thing and absolutely gobsmacked at the quality of the content I see in this forum. Its rather intimidating, I must confess; I've been meaning to make this post for a couple days now, but keep stopping due to fear of looking completely out of place.

Anyway, I've got a couple of projects I'm working with and abandoning/repicking up at various points, but currently the biggest one is this lovely lady;
bgJ8i79.png
First and foremost, I'd love your opinions on how I've done so far, and how to continue getting her to look right. Something about the pectorals and upper arms bugs me.

I've also got a large number of low-poly weaponry I intend to hand-paint over time, sicne my 2D skills are by far my weakest.
PitvK0V.png
I'm rather pleased with myself for getting all of these sub 500 tris. Except the bottom-centre axe. That one is 672 and its existance brings great dishonour upon my family.

But, yeah. I'll try and practice some body stuff and hand painting until I can compete with all of you amazing people.

Replies

• Lukitscherie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lukitscherie polycounter lvl 8
    All those weapons look really neat, with a lot of different shapes. You have some good metal painting practice coming up :p

The lizard lady looks fine to me, depends on what design inspired you and what you want her to look. I'm looking forward to see progress on her :).

Also I have big trouble with character topology myself but seems her crotch area isn't efficient if you want to rig and pose her later.
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    v9RZAn3.png

Readjusted the crotch as per your suggestion, and fiddled with the waist and added some definition to her neck and armpits. Assuming I haven't made any major physiological or topological screw-ups, I think I'll start work on the highpoly. Alpha-map scales, hooo.
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Removed for posterity.
  • Abrvpt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Nice collection of weapons. =) As I'm completely lame at hand painted textures I won't be able to help on that, but the kind of flamberge lacks quite a lot of polygons to have a nice curvy silhouette. The trick could be to make the edge of the blade on a plane with alpha.
    About the lizard lady, the crotch topology is much more functional now, but other parts are quite busy and strange... What do you plan to do with this character ? Make a low poly handpainted one or a character with normal maps and so on ?
    I know better about sculpted character and if you plan to do so, try to have an even, simplier topology and keep the details as clavicles for the sculpting process.
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Abrvpt I was going to simplify her later on to make the low-poly, and then bake the stuff on that. This is sort of a... mid-poly base, since I am god awful at sculpting and really want to have a semi-detailed base to start me off.
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to delete the whining post. My bad moods should not affect my art, nor my contribution to this community.

In other news, took anotheer crack at the hand-painting thing.
    mJNJZgH.png

A lot happier with this one, that's for sure.
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UoknLB2.png
    Sharpened up the highlights on the bronze, as well as lightened up the colour and added more mess to the metal. I guess sometimes you just have to leave a project for a day or two and see if it holds up.

soRgYcK.png
    Speaking of, new weapon from the array. Monomaterial items are hell to get to look right, so feel free to tell me how I screwed up.
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WHAT YEAR IS IT?

Oh, wow. Ahem. Er...

Stay away from alcohol, kids.

But seriously; went through a bit of a rough patch, going to try and get back on track. At least with these weapons.

New one for your viewing "pleasure". I really need to learn how to paint in Blender; lining up everything properly in PS is frustratign with so many angles everywhere.
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Something a little different this time around, since hand-painting things is incredibly frustrating and demoralising. Still got some detail work left to do (the underside is completely blank) and I need to light it properly. And then maybe produce a more realistic set of materials in cycles. Ah, well, future projects.

Similarly I've done a low-poly bock out of one of Robert Gatto's environment concepts, the Meteroite Altar specficially. I was planning on making three versions; a flat colour low-poly, a hand-painted one using an AO map, and a more realistic cycles version. Unfortunately, I'm terrible with colours.

This is the current scheme I'm thinking, but I'm not entirely sold on it. (The base is supposed to be red-brick, the majority marble and the gold, well, gold/copper).

• primnull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    primnull polycounter lvl 5
    any chance at a tutorial or speed paint capture? I'd love to see your workflow
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't currently have any video capture software installed. Besides, there's far better examples of proper painting work on youtube and the like.
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Quickie of a design I found trawling the net.
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Another quickie. Ish. It probably shouldn't take two days to make something like this.
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

My god, a hat trick. Wonder how long this'll last.
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Applied the AO and some more manual shading to this one to try and bring everything out a little more. Not sure if/how I should add highlights to it.
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Ulthwe is by far my favourite craftworld. The scheme is just so nice. Shame my topology isn't nice enough to do it justice in the smooth version. Ah well, live and learn I guess.
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

The Edge Split modifier is amazing.

Slight continuation of my old dragonborn/lizardfolk model. This one will take a while, or at least until I can bring myself to finalise something.

Bit of Overwatch fan art, as well as my experiments into materials. Not great, but it was better than nothing fro a while.

And sometihng weebish. If I get round to making materials, hopefully I can get them looking good.
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Probably the most complicated prop I've ever built. Probably should have gone for hard edges on some of the panels rather than the rounded edges, but too late to fix that now.
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I suppose guns to spaceships is a natural enough progression, so have an I-Wing. I'd attempt to take the textures further, but experience reminds me I'm awful at it and probably shouldn't bother.
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Well, robots are a step up. Not my design, but one thing at a time.