Home General Discussion

Intuos to Cintiq

Seriously debating purchasing a Cintiq. I have an Intuos Pro at the moment and I love it except it is kind of awkward. What I mean by that is, I need alot of surface area to be able to use it. Constantly being plugged into a Desk is getting infuriating.

One of the things I loved about drawing etc growing up was the freedom of being able to do it almost anywhere. Or just sitting infront of the TV watching a series on the couch and being able to work away. Or on the Train or the Bus, having my Laptop running underneath the seat and working away. Cant do that with my Intuos as I would need to have my Laptop and the Tablet on top of me.

So I have been looking at the Cintiq 13 HD. Its small and compact and in theory should suit what I need except I have never used one and $800 is alot of money to throw out on something I am not sure I will like.

So I guess what I am wondering is if anyone has used one and how did they find it? Is worth the cost? Is there any lag or delay? I assume its really just a handheld display with an input system so it shouldn't really lag anymore than an Intuos would.

Replies

• Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but you still need to hook that up to a PC. It acts like an extra, miniature monitor that you can draw on basically. What you're looking for is a Cintiq Companion which is a tablet PC you can use anywhere, but you'd probably have to drop at least $1500 for the lowest end version of that.

-Edit: Just read what you said about running it on your laptop, must have missed that. Not sure how well that setup would work out, personally, even when using a cintiq I still make a lot of use of my keyboard. Sounds like a bit of a cumbersome setup, which may work in theory but probably wouldn't be too advantageous. I would just save up for a cintiq companion for when you're out and about, and honestly just stick to a normal intuos when you're home.
  • lovingsaskia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lovingsaskia polycounter lvl 6
    Have you considered huion as an alternative? Whilst I haven't got one, I do use the huion 610pro and love it, good drivers and even works with windows 10. Been hearing good things about the company and for half the price of a cintiq its worth looking into at least.

http://www.huiontablet.com/all-products/pen-tablet-monitor/huion-gt-190.html
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    You're not going to be doing any drawing on your laptop in a bus with a regular Cintiq. Pretty sure those things need to be plugged into a power source. Cintiq Companion's what you want. I have no problems with mine, though it took a month to really get acclimated to it. Didn't really start feeling productive until I got a wireless media keyboard, which I chose since I needed the trackpad and F-keys for some applications, i.e. Blender. The whole setup weighs just around 3-4 pounds and packs flat.

mk_amk_large.jpg

No lag on the default settings of the Companion 2 (i7 version) either. I'm pretty happy with it overall, but still split my time between the Cintiq and my desktop Intuos setup... Cintiq for sketching/painting, desktop for editing.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Sounds to me like a Wacom Companion 2 or a Microsoft Surface Pro 2 or most of the Surface 3's would get what you want for the portability. If you need hotkeys you could either go with a full wireless keyboard or you could go with a bluetooth one built for mobile/tablets thats portable, or go with a wireless numpad, though that could have some software hurdles with some software (Like some actions in adobe software requiring modifier keys.)
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    you could also get the surface pro 3, which is a little bit more compact and has a longer lasting battery

also : like many already suggested, the usual cintiq`s need to be plugged in into a pc/laptop, basicly they are only touchscreens

the cintiq compaion hybrid (andoid OS) and cintiq companion (windows OS) can be used without a pc

but as far as i know, the hybrid is the only one of both which can also be used as a regular cintiq screen on your desktop machine (correct me if iam wrong)
    but has an android os for stand alone, so you can`t use any windows applications like photoshop
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    The newer Cintiq Companion 2 replaces the hybrid and it uses Windows 8.1 instead of Android OS.

I would suggest the newer one anyways because the failure rate on the original seemed pretty high based on my twitter feed of people complaining about being locked out from their files.

http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-displays/cintiq-companion-2

I personally would go with a Surface tablet though since you can get ones that can get the job done for significantly cheaper though it doesn't have the bonus of also working on a cintiq that can be plugged into a main workstation or anything as well when need be.
  • Turneep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for replies. I am not too keen on the Companion to be honest. The price is just too high. I literally have my laptop with me 90% of the time so Its not really an issue to have something plugged into it and leave it running under my seat or on the floor. Its just having it sitting on top of me makes everything cumbersome.

The Keyboard issue is something I am concerned about but I can struggle through Photoshop and Zbrush without Keybinds if needs be, only a minor inconvenience.

Battery power and power supply is not something I even thought of or considered. Might well be over because of that before it even started ha.
    Have you considered huion as an alternative? Whilst I haven't got one, I do use the huion 610pro and love it, good drivers and even works with windows 10. Been hearing good things about the company and for half the price of a cintiq its worth looking into at least.

http://www.huiontablet.com/all-products/pen-tablet-monitor/huion-gt-190.html

I have never heard of this. I will definitely do some research. I am somewhat hesitant to abandon Wacom as I have literally been using them since I was 12 and I never had an issue but more and more I am feeling that they have cornered a market and are now overpricing big time.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Good luck to plug a cintiq on a laptop, there's a huge change of it working like shit or that you won'thave the graphic card needed to plug it on a laptop. If your laptop is new and bought on a good budget it's going to work just fine, but don't expect it to work on a 300$ laptop.

Also It is NOT portable, yes you can bring it at work, but don't think you're going to used it on the road. Your laptop battery isn't going to stay alive more then 30min-1h, and it's really FRAGILE anything can make a scratch on it, you'll be crazy to used it on a crowded place, mine have a scratch just because i bend over it and the usb cable touch it. Also it's a lot of cable to plug in. It need it's own power source etc. It's not made to use on the run. It's made to be put on a desk and stay there. You won'T be able to draw in your sofa either. First it's really bad for your neck and back second, the connector that plug in the cintiq is fragile and need to stay really straight, I tend to sit like shit when i draw, all curved and everything and my connector is dying, a gently touch disconnect it and create massive bug ( the cintiq need to be connect BEFORE you open the pc or most of the time the usb won'T work)

Don'T get me wrong the 13hd is amazing i loved it a lot, but don't expect the moon from it. Like i said : It's made to be put on a desk and stay there. If you want mobility you have no choice put to put more money and get a companion, and even those have issues, my art director have one and if the company wouldn't have bought it he said he would never have bought it. It's great and he like it, but it's not there yet.

In anycase, Paper is a great tool when you're on the move :)
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    Odow wrote: »
    ... the connector that plug in the cintiq is fragile and need to stay really straight, I tend to sit like shit when i draw, all curved and everything and my connector is dying, a gently touch disconnect it and create massive bug ( the cintiq need to be connect BEFORE you open the pc or most of the time the usb won'T work)

for this i thought of something like this to connect to an ergotron arm
    its just a first draft, so not really thought trough, iam trying to keep it simple and cheap (like 50$)
    i ´ve seen some self made stands, but they looked very flimsy, so iam going full metal

24eys1j.jpg