Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Syringe Kit

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
Hi guys, I started working on this syringe kit since I wanted a small challenge to try my hand at hard surface modeling (Without zbrush). So obviously this is quite a novice project as the shapes are pretty basic but I thought I might as well start small to learn the basics before trying my hand at more complex stuff.
All I have done so far is the syringe itself but I plan on making the entire box. Let me know what you think, cheers!

My progress:
a8S8sgI.png
Wires:
SVDJwAR.png

CwhD3D9.png

8Zv1XUE.png

References:
depositphotos_1562351-Old-syringe.jpg
syringe_hypodermic_set_E.B._Brandt_open.jpg

Replies

• Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updates! I threw the high poly into marmoset for the heck of it, here is the result, I don't really know if there is anything I should add before making the low poly but if something seems to be missing let me know. One thing I am currently struggling with is how I should make the low poly, yesterday I were searching for some tutorial on how to make a low res of a hard surface model but couldn't find anything that answered my questions. I am quite familiar with retopologizing in topogun but it seems like a strange way to do it in this case, so if anyone has some guidance I would appreciate it!

MgNRFOj.jpg

G2NZ3hl.jpg

Lr1779c.jpg

R0ZC72U.png
  • hmm_rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
    Nice renders! If you plan to make the textures grungier when you get to the LP stuff, but some dents/nicks in the metal could be nice (dents coming from the outside for example). If you want a little visual interest maybe include a small piece of paper/note or a old fashion picture to give it some ownership and character. As for making the lowpolys it might be worth it to just decimate these to a workable number, import the hp into Max and make the LPs based off the primative shapes.
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply, I managed to figure out the low poly, so I am just going to UV and start texturing. What I did pretty much for the low poly was to just delete needless edgeloops and the result was pretty good. The thing with the paper sounds like a cool idea and I'll see if I can work it in, Ill post once I have some updates!
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, did some updates, were away a while but managed to get back to this today, here is where I'm at. I'm struggling a bit with making the metal parts look attached to the main case, suggestions are welcome!

EeVvi9B.jpg

9ao7QsC.jpg

IXbYIsq.jpg

Qztr4ik.jpg

sn8hhtO.jpg

Assembled:

86t5c5A.jpg

Ii9EYB6.jpg

rDTU6to.jpg
  • battleyak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    battleyak polycounter lvl 7
    This looks really cool but the rust is just throwing me off o.O It seems to have a bit of shine/gloss to it and the normals look really intense. Make sure the rust is completely matte and tone down the normals. Also I think rust would erode away metal not add to it, at least that's what I've noticed looking at photos of rusted metal.

Also are you going to make the syringes look used? Your ref has water spots and stained glass on the tubes and stuff, I think that would look really neat!
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I think the fastest and easiest way to make the metal feel cohesive with the glass portions of the syringe is adding slight wear and grunge build up where the metal and glass meet on both surfaces. This will blend the two material separations some more, and help sell material break up IMO. I would also suggest matching the grunge of the case to the syringes, as the clean syringes/vials look out of place now with the dirty case.
  • Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, I tried to make some adjust it a bit based on what you said, do you think this if better?

hCHqP3K.jpg

eD1cISu.jpg

v7Qci3X.jpg

OmzUNnB.jpg