Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Rhino

Rhino_Unity_001.jpg
Rhino_Unity_003.jpg
Rhino_Unity_002.jpg

Hello! Here's Rhino character for my portfolio. Any critiques or comments would be much appreciated.

Replies

• le0tard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    le0tard polycounter lvl 9
    that's terrifying
  • Shea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    le0tard wrote: »
    that's terrifying

Thanks!
  • evilplantosavetheworld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    evilplantosavetheworld polycounter lvl 8
    There's a few things I think I would recommend changing.
    First the shaft of the axe near the head is incredibly thin, unless it was made of some impossibly strong metal or had some other supports it would be very unlikely it would survive striking anything.
    The next two are more about the anatomy it;
    Right now you have him with plantigrade feet, so feet like ours where we walk on our heels, rhinos are actually digitigrade, meaning they walk on their toes. Obviously being that anthropomorphic rhinos don't exist it's completely up to the artist, but I think that it may help it feel a bit more real if you could match something like that.
    The other would be the neck muscles and shoulders, right now it almost feels like a large man put on a rhinos head as a mask, the neck really doesn't look like it fits onto the shoulders at all, in fact unless this is an illusion of the angle it looks like the thickness of the neck stops at the first piece of armor. A rhino standing up would need massive muscles to keep its head up, specifically I believe the muscle I'm thinking of would be the trapezius, a large muscle that runs from the base of your skull to your shoulder blades and also into the deltoids. I guess it's a bit hard for me to explain and I'm at work so I can't really post any pictures, but essentially imagine how a body builders' neck and shoulders look, or Bane's appearance in the arkham games.
  • Shea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a few things I think I would recommend changing.
    First the shaft of the axe near the head is incredibly thin, unless it was made of some impossibly strong metal or had some other supports it would be very unlikely it would survive striking anything.
    The next two are more about the anatomy it;
    Right now you have him with plantigrade feet, so feet like ours where we walk on our heels, rhinos are actually digitigrade, meaning they walk on their toes. Obviously being that anthropomorphic rhinos don't exist it's completely up to the artist, but I think that it may help it feel a bit more real if you could match something like that.
    The other would be the neck muscles and shoulders, right now it almost feels like a large man put on a rhinos head as a mask, the neck really doesn't look like it fits onto the shoulders at all, in fact unless this is an illusion of the angle it looks like the thickness of the neck stops at the first piece of armor. A rhino standing up would need massive muscles to keep its head up, specifically I believe the muscle I'm thinking of would be the trapezius, a large muscle that runs from the base of your skull to your shoulder blades and also into the deltoids. I guess it's a bit hard for me to explain and I'm at work so I can't really post any pictures, but essentially imagine how a body builders' neck and shoulders look, or Bane's appearance in the arkham games.

Wonderful insight! Thanks!

Yeah, shaft near the axe head does look kind of silly being that thin. I'll change that.

I agree that changing the feet would look much better. I'm gonna change that too. I hadn't pictured it that way originally, but now that you bring it up, it seems like the right way to go.

The neck needs to be fixed. That's a flaw I meant to fix earlier but went blind to it, I guess. I see what you mean about needing giant neck muscles.

Great critique, bud! Specific and well thought out. I need to think a little more like you when I sculpt.

I'm also wondering, and this is for anyone who wants to answer, what I need too do to make this look more "finished". I've been getting feedback on my portfolio and people have suggested this might not look "finished". How should I address this?
  • beanster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beanster polycounter lvl 2
    I feel like you're missing AO, could be just me...
  • Shea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beanster wrote: »
    I feel like you're missing AO, could be just me...

Yeah, you're right. How's this?

Rhino_Unity_0021.jpg

I also tried to fix the neck issue and axe issue, still haven't gotten to the feet. Haven't had much time so there's just some quick changes, both the neck and the axe probably need more love.