Home General Discussion

Confused Sales Emails

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
Every now and then I get emails from people trying to sell me bathroom tiles because for some reason their system has seen my portfolio which has hand painted tileable textures on.

The same thing has happened recently because of the scaffolding pack that I'm making for the unreal market place, the emails usually start with "We have heard your interested in buying scaffolding", and it's always a bit odd because clearly I'm not, and I just make assets that are like real world products.

I think it's just SEO gone mad and people not checking things and being confused by 3D assets. I'm just interested to know if anyone else has come across this?

Replies

• myclay
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    myclay polycounter lvl 10
    what you are getting has more to do with your general browser history and you might have some ad spreading viruses etc on your pc which crawl your keyboard input which spikes interest for advertisers gone mad which is fuelling them to spam you with even more ads.

to keep stupid malicious time eating advertisements away as good as possible;

first check your PC for malicious viruses, worms keyloggers etc

In your Browser;
    install adblockplus or µBlock
    additionally install ghostery, noscript and a couple others addons
    Activate the do-NOT-track option in your Browser.

uh and for the email adress... use the spam options of your email adress & block those stupid emails,
    look into the header of spam mails and take the true email adress out and put it too on the ignore list.

* remember its best to go straight up to the cause (trackers, cookies, keyloggers, viruses, worms, advertisements etc)
    and the symptoms (spam,security holes, ads, lost data/time etc) will either be over time diminishing itself or stop automatically.
    those actions might be perceived as drastic security measurements but if you don´t do it, you are getting prone for letting others either annoy you or worse giving them access to your PC.

hope it helps for the future ;)